Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hijacked threads

(65 Posts)
Christinefrance Mon 09-Oct-17 14:09:58

AIBU to be annoyed by certain posters putting their political views on threads that were not intended for that.

merlotgran Mon 09-Oct-17 14:12:33

YNBU. I find it annoying as well.

Nanabilly Mon 09-Oct-17 14:17:32

I too find it very annoying and quite rude and aggressive . I stopped reading it in the end and will not go back to that thread .

Tippy22 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:18:38

Hear, hear I was just thinking exactly that.

Ilovecheese Mon 09-Oct-17 14:22:11

It's a bit of a tricky one I think. Depends on the thread.
So many social issues are political that it seems appropriate then.
But if it is say, one about the rules of Gransnet or similar, then no, I don't think you are being unreasonable.
I don't think I've ever seen political views on relationship threads.

willsmadnan Mon 09-Oct-17 15:07:58

'I don't think I've ever seen political views on relationship threads'. Stick around Ilovecheese, one will turn up eventually from the usual sourcegrin

trisher Mon 09-Oct-17 15:16:19

This is a thread about threads BTW (Beware Tom is Watching)

Izzywizzy Mon 09-Oct-17 15:27:26

I too am annoyed by the thread being hijacked. I don't read political threads on gransnet so feel aggrieved that they took it over.
Yes,this is a thread about a thread but how else can I express my views ? I didn't want to comment on there as I felt it best to leave them to it.
Hi Tom ?

Tegan2 Mon 09-Oct-17 15:37:02

If everyone just totally ignored a post that they didn't feel was relevant then it wouldn't be a problem. Although, I know that's easier said than done.

Eloethan Mon 09-Oct-17 15:41:29

It can be annoying. I found it particularly so on the recent thread regarding supposed "unwritten rules" on Gransnet. Several posters could not resist making a political point by objecting to the contributions of those whose views did not accord with their own.

Christinefrance Mon 09-Oct-17 16:33:39

Good to hear I'm not the only one
Hi Tom smile

trisher Mon 09-Oct-17 16:37:45

But there is NOTHING absolutely NOTHING stopping anyone from going back to the OP and expressing their opinion about that, if that is what they wish to discuss. Of course if your only opinion is I don't like these posts tat does make it harder.

M0nica Mon 09-Oct-17 17:20:46

Yup, Eloethan & Christinefrance and others. We all know which thread we are talking about and I am with you.

I am just waiting for it to happen to this threadshockgrin.

Charleygirl Mon 09-Oct-17 17:25:22

MOnica surely not but stranger things have happened. I thought that Tom may have intervened but as it is his first day maybe not.

I also am with the minority.

Imperfect27 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:28:00

Well, threads do meander... Look on the bright side, Tom has had his baptism, interesting 'opposing' views have been aired in a civil manner and no-one has called anyone else anything nasty ... Unless l blinked and missed it.
As l think the post in question is the one l started, l have posted on it again to remind people of the OP, but these 'hijacks' happen, especially if people just react to the last thread they read. I usually avoid GN politics, but it has been entertaining smile ex

lemongrove Mon 09-Oct-17 18:30:52

This thread will become political in about five mins.?

FarNorth Mon 09-Oct-17 18:38:38

Eight minutes have passed.... smile

Chewbacca Mon 09-Oct-17 18:42:05

Couldn't agree more christinefrance. One poster suggested that those of us who don't like political posts should "post something more interesting then". When I replied that that had been attempted I was told "That's not interesting"! grin
I don't mind reading the political subjects if they're in the News and Politics forums but when they leech out into other subjects too, it's a complete turn off.

wildswan16 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:47:01

It's really just the same as two people having a perfectly innocuous conversation and someone else coming along and barging in with a totally irrelevant remark and trying to turn it to something they want to talk about. It's just rude.

Eloethan Mon 09-Oct-17 18:47:56

Yes, that thread was certainly a good example of a non-political thread being used to have a cheap (and erroneous) shot at the contribution of left wingers on political threads.

Chewbacca Mon 09-Oct-17 18:50:25

There we go......

Christinefrance Mon 09-Oct-17 18:54:23

Think it must be some sort of compulsion to be totally centred on politics

Chewbacca Mon 09-Oct-17 18:58:51

Or a narrow outlook perhaps? Nothing else going on in life except politics? No family/life experiences/humour/films/theatre etc? I'd find it rather dull to be centred on only one topic but there's nowt so odd as folk!

trisher Mon 09-Oct-17 18:59:17

It really isn't and I'm really not. You can see lots of my posts about different things if you bother to look. It just amuses me that someone thinks posting that they don't like political posters is some sort of interesting information. I don't like boring people but I don't make a big thing about it and I don't keep posting about it.

Izzywizzy Mon 09-Oct-17 19:04:03

Well said wildswan16