Gransnet forums

AIBU

BT......I'm losing the will to live ?

(52 Posts)
Marmight Mon 30-Oct-17 21:48:12

Apologies in advance for length of moan!
I completed on the purchase of a new property last week and move in tomorrow. At the end of September I put in an order with BT for a new phone number, Wi-Fi and TV service to commence on 24th October the day my existing line was transferred to my buyer. Since then I have had at least 12 messages from their 'office' in India, umpteen phone calls to say my order has been cancelled and each time another one made. The TV order has completely disappeared as has the Wi-Fi. I have asked numerous times to speak to someone UK based to no avail until this morning when, eureka, I spoke to a lovely lady in Lincoln who tut tutted and promised faithfully that the investigation department would, erm, investigate the appalling service I have received and get back to me by 9pm. Well it's now 9.35 and why am I not surprised!. I've been a customer for well over 40 years and so much for loyalty. Question is - who do I transfer my allegiance to now? Any suggestions....?

Scribbles Mon 30-Oct-17 22:01:44

Virgin Media. Not perfect but immeasurably better than BT. We've had phone and internet from them for 25 years with very few problems. And, unlike BT, if VM say it's 100MHz broadband then that's what you get - not whatever pathetic speed BT can persuade through their cable.

Anya Mon 30-Oct-17 22:30:17

Actually I’m paying for 120 mbps from VM and I’m not getting anywhere near that. It was 32mbps just now!!

Re BT. Email their CEO - when I did that I had a phone call next morning from his PA and immediate action.

cornergran Mon 30-Oct-17 22:42:02

Agree with anya. We had similar issues four years ago when we moved. Being old fashioned we sent a ‘signed for’ letter to the Chairman at the registered office. Had an immediate phone call, were allocated someone to sort it. They did, all was well. Did the same thing after a year when our broadband speed dropped to snail pace. Again allocated someone to sort it, it took a few weeks and an engineer visit but a more than ok outcome, compensation and a reduction in our monthly cost. Probably easier than changing suppliers. Good luck marmight, moving is stressful enough without added hassle.

Anya Mon 30-Oct-17 22:52:33

[email protected]

He’s the CEO. Nice chap.

Teacheranne Mon 30-Oct-17 23:12:20

Anyone having problems with Virgin Media, email Tom Mockridge, CEO, and he will escalate the problem to a dedicated officer who them contacts you regularly until they sort out the problem. No more call centres, personal service and job sorted!

Anya Mon 30-Oct-17 23:16:45

I’ll do just that tomorrow (Tom Mockridge) and send him a screen shot I took when I tested my internet speed earlier.

Anya Mon 30-Oct-17 23:23:35

Actually, why wait, I’ve emailed him now. ???

suzied Tue 31-Oct-17 07:07:47

Try twitter or facebook to complain that’s usually more effective. Threaten to go to Sky and they might get themselves sorted.
We changed from Virgin media to Sky broadband, phone tv, and the service has been much better.

Liz46 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:12:33

We changed to Plusnet and have not had any problems. I now have a £5 a month contract with them for my (Doogee F5 bought from Amazon) mobile and am very pleased with it. It is perfectly adequate for my needs.

jusnoneed Tue 31-Oct-17 08:32:16

I have been with Plusnet for 18 months (after years with BT), had no problems. Renewed my contract three months ago, got it cheaper than the first one.
Any query I have had has been quickly answered by their online chat service, with a few laughs.

Was with Virgin years ago but they kept putting the price up and no deals at that time, got very expensive.

Sunlover Tue 31-Oct-17 09:50:32

We had similar problems with BT earlier this year when moving to a new build. Took ages to sort out. No help I know!!

hildajenniJ Tue 31-Oct-17 10:00:13

We are with talk-talk. Broadband, house phone and mobiles. We've not had a problem with them.

Bagatelle Tue 31-Oct-17 10:06:56

Ditch BT - here's another vote for plusnet. And their mobiles too. Good customer service.

Gagagran Tue 31-Oct-17 10:07:32

Like susied we moved to Sky after problems with Virgin and they have been excellent. They came at 8am the day after our house move and sorted out TV, phone and broadband.

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:07:38

Have to agree, Virgin Media is the way ahead, BT is a joke - I even sold the shares my Dad was given as a telephone operator years ago because they were so dreadful

MargaretinNorthant Tue 31-Oct-17 10:10:40

Change to Utility Warehouse . They are absolutely brilliant and there help line is in London and speak English....as she is spoke if you understand me.

MargaretinNorthant Tue 31-Oct-17 10:11:17

Their not there.....iPad helping again

pamdixon Tue 31-Oct-17 10:26:19

..another annoying thing BT do is allocate you a particular telephone number, and if that doesn't get activated pretty quickly, they give you another one - always their fault because they are not quick enough off the mark. I'm now with Sky for telephone, internet and tv - no complaints at all! good luck.

oldgaijin Tue 31-Oct-17 10:32:58

I have a broadband/tv/phone package with Sky and it is excellent.

W11girl Tue 31-Oct-17 10:39:40

We transferred away from BT a few years ago.....best thing we ever did! Customer service was appalling and charges were getting higher and higher. We have had no problems with our current provider, if we do we will transfer again....its easier than you think. Strangely, our current provider, we have discovered is part of the BT family!

Granless Tue 31-Oct-17 10:42:14

We were with Talk Talk until we decided to move to Sky. After giving our notice to TT we were unable to connect by phone with anybody other than those who were with TT and the same applied if outsiders weren't with TT they couldn't connect with us. We complained to TT about this 'fault' - they said it was a fault in our home somewhere and an engineer could come out and check for £69 - we declined. Coincidence or not!! Magically when we were connected with Sky - problem solved!!

sarahellenwhitney Tue 31-Oct-17 10:44:44

After ten' loyal on my part' years with a service provider who shall be nameless I was tired of their negative call centre excuses as to why I frequently lost the internet service.They blamed my devices'I had these checked nothing wrong, so I transferred my business to another providerSo far so good however my attempts to obtain reimbursement for paid in advance land line charges have been ignored They had wavered my cancellation of contract charges. I have sent letters to their head of complaints the response I have received beggars belief but has not produced any thing positive where do I go next The ombudsman have informed me they do not deal with complaints concerning the 'who shall be nameless provider.Any help would be appreciated.

bumblebee123 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:46:55

For years we wanted to be rid of BT but didn't know how to do it. We have been with Sky for a while but looked forward to the day when we could get cable TV. This year that glorious day came. It was connected and we switched on and for ten minutes watched SM. It was terrible, we were not getting what we had been told we would get. We promptly phoned them and told them to fetch their equipment back. This they did, four weeks later. We are still with Sky for Broadband, TV and telephone. BT, gone for good. YIPPEE.
Brian.

marpau Tue 31-Oct-17 10:47:08

We had similar problem sent a tweet on twitter got a call from UK all sorted in 10 minutes seems they dont like others to know what a bad service they offer