Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be ashamed of the DM readers racist abuse of Nadiya Hussain?

(148 Posts)
Anya Wed 01-Nov-17 15:17:43

Anyway Jesus is an important prophet in Islam.

Anya Wed 01-Nov-17 15:16:12

We’ve had Jewish friends around for Christmas dinner before now. What’s the problem?

Big celebrations round here recently in town square for Diwali that we joined in. Let’s just enjoy celebrations in these rather divisive times.

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 15:12:50

I really don't know Jalima . Do Muslims celebrate Christmas by exchanging cards and gifts, Christmas trees, singing Christmas songs and carols, attending nativity plays etc. ?

A few years ago now we had a young Muslim man working for us and he used to say that he (and his wife) used Christmas as a good excuse to buy each other presents. But they didn't do the tree etc.

Live and let live and we'll all be happy. smile

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:04:42

I do see what you mean and I think that Nadiya meant that too - but she was trying not to offend Christians at the same time.

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 15:00:30

Yes I see Jalima thank you.

Although if a Muslim says they don't have a "traditional Christmas", I am not sure what kind of Christmas we have as a family. I would have thought it was traditional, we exchange cards and gifts, we have a Christmas tree, we see the children' s nativities, sing/listen to carols and Christmas songs, but we don't go to church.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:53:18

gillybob I think the relevant word is traditional ie midnight mass, nativity, believing that Jesus was the Son of God and became man and walked amongst us on earth.

lemongrove Wed 01-Nov-17 14:48:10

I could do with borrowing Nadiya’s husband for the whole of Christmas Day, wonder if he takes bookings?

Day6 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:47:50

"The mother-of-three, who is Muslim, explained that her family does not celebrate Christmas in the 'traditional sense' but that they still enjoy sharing in the 'warmth' and goodwill that the day brings."

From the DM article.

Sounds like Nadiya's family do what most do on Christmas day.

If trolls ARE being racist in the comments section then that says something about trolls and social media. It's hardly fair to make this a DM issue when every single paper runs comments sections open to the public and many comments, in the broadsheets as well as the tabloids, are offensive to certain sections of society. Momentum 'youth' (one assumes) tends to post to the Guardian these days and much of that is vicious, coarse and unpalatable.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5028457/Bake-star-Nadiya-Hussain-shares-Christmas-tips.html#ixzz4xBv0VhcN
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

lemongrove Wed 01-Nov-17 14:46:14

I fervently hope this is not yet another thinly disguised attack on any GN posters who either: voted to Leave the EU,
Voted Conservative, or actually reads The Daily Mail.
If not.....carry on.?

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 14:44:46

I read that she is muslim so doesn't celebrate Christmas. Must be reading a different article.

MawBroon Wed 01-Nov-17 14:41:41

I have read the link and I am confused
Not seeing abuse, racist or otherwise there.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:40:16

She says she doesn't celebrate it 'in the traditional sense' - and I think the majority do not celebrate it in the traditional sense either.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:37:59

On reading further, Nadiya does the cooking and her husband does all the rest - including picking up the Lego. Good man!

Now - I don't mind doing all the rest as long as someone else does the cooking and picks up the Lego.

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 14:37:49

Just had a quick look (can't be bothered to read comments nasty or otherwise) but noticed that she says she doesn't celebrate Christmas anyway so surely the whole article is a bit pointless. How can you share tips for something you don't do? confused

lemongrove Wed 01-Nov-17 14:35:27

Hmmm, why read online abuse from any quarter?
Nadiya Hussain is quite popular but there will always be some who want to denigrate anybody at all for whatever reasons.
Must say jura2 you could have been clearer as to what you were referring to ( sounded like Daily Mail newspaper letterswritten by readers.)

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:33:03

Bake Off's Nadiya Hussain reveals her husband does ALL the chores at Christmas as she shares her tips for a stress-free day - including three ways to entertain children of any age

Sounds good to me.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:31:43

here's the link I found
I am not going to read the comments though, trolls are found all over the internet and not exclusive to the DM.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5028457/Bake-star-Nadiya-Hussain-shares-Christmas-tips.html

merlotgran Wed 01-Nov-17 14:28:32

Is there a link?

Day6 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:19:55

What nasty trolls write online in the comments section is not a 'racist headline' in the DM so the above two posts are quite misleading.

Well said Jalima. Look at Jura's sensationalist headline here too!

She is as bad as the people she is accusing. Sadly newspaper comment sections are rife with mischief-making trolls and those ready to smear a whole section of society because they have a political agenda.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:15:02

If this was true it would be shocking - however, I just had a look and Nadiya Hussain has been giving tips on what to cook for Christmas. Nadiya has been featured in the DM in the past and is one of their popular contributors.

What nasty trolls write online in the comments section is not a 'racist headline' in the DM so the above two posts are quite misleading.

Presumably you have both looked online to see - I prefer not to read them and let's hope the editors will delete any vile comments.

Day6 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:14:57

I haven't seen the article but it has to be said that Guardian readers frequently make elitist comments about those they consider their inferiors because they do things differently from them.

I get the feeling many would have defended the talented Nadiya.

Is this a left wing swipe at others? You are not supposed to tar everyone with the same brush I thought?

Morgana Wed 01-Nov-17 14:01:04

That's the daily mail for you. Not surprising as many of their headlines are very racist. I think this so called newspaper should be banned!

jura2 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:47:33

Shame, shame on them - those DM readers who have attacked Nadiya Hussain virulently because she dared give advice on what to cook for Christmas and how to entertain kids during the festive season. SHAME. Makes me sick.