Gransnet forums

AIBU

making xmas presents?

(57 Posts)
bobbin Fri 10-Nov-17 15:25:46

After a bit of a rocky year in terms of finances, I'm thinking of making my family's christmas presents this year. I'm a keen crafter and think I can make a good job of things that they'll really like. When i mentioned this to a friend yesterday, she looked at me like I'd said I was getting them a lump of coal each!

Is it miserly to make their xmas presents? I had thought it was more personal, but now I have my doubts confused

ginny Sat 11-Nov-17 07:49:02

I love hand / home made gifts and often give or receive them.
The value of a gift is in the thought behind it not its monetary value.

travelsafar Sat 11-Nov-17 07:17:14

I couldnt think of a nicer gift to receive than something someone had made just for me.

It would mean they had really thought about me and i would have something that was a constant reminder of them and possibly an heirloom in the making!!!

Imperfect27 Sat 11-Nov-17 06:50:45

bobbin we are approaching Christmas differently this year too as I have changed jobs and taken a substantial pay cut. I have been upfront about this with the family and also invited them to think in terms of spending less too! I am intending to make some foody presents and am generally trimming budgets. Glad to say DD is sensible and my one and only GC, who is 2, will get some charity shop gifts.

paddyann Fri 10-Nov-17 23:15:44

many years ago my sister and I decided that rather than buy mass produced sweets and chocolates we'd make them ...and the boxes .We mad a huge variety of sweets ,jellies and fudges adn soft cetred chocolates but we enjoyed doing so much we forget when to stop and ended up with hundreds of sweets with no homes ,so we made up boxes and handed them into shops we regularly used and knew the staff well .Places like hairdressers and bakers and the wool shop and even the doctors and dentist got 3 or 4 pounds of chocolates each.We didn't make them ever again...it cost us a fortune ...lol

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 22:36:29

smile

'Some people know the price of everything but the value of nothing'

Marydoll Fri 10-Nov-17 22:26:07

Never sent her another card since! sad

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 22:23:10

Marydoll I hope that that was the last one you ever sent her, or that you sent her the cheapest one you could find shock

whitewave Fri 10-Nov-17 20:40:03

I am making my cards this year I’ve completed two so far blush they are painted. Bluebell blimey well done I really must pull my finger out.

Marydoll Fri 10-Nov-17 20:16:36

When were just married and had very little money, I used to make lots of presents, such as sweets, marmalade etc. People used to look forward to them. I still make foodie presents for family. I say, "Go for it!"
My friend and I used to make hand made greetings cards until a neighbour asked us if we didn't have time to go out and buy one for her! She didn't appreciate the thought, time and effort that had gone into making them. sad

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:26:59

hmm that is probably true ilovecheese but then it could be cheaper than buying a Christmas present from a shop -something that looks good enough for a present.
'Artisan' chutneys etc are quite expensive.
I know the chutneys I bought for a gift were very expensive (yes, I would normally make them but it was a gift from somewhere we visited.)

Ilovecheese Fri 10-Nov-17 18:40:11

It's a lovely idea, the only downside might be that making things like biscuits ans chutneys can work out more expensive than buying them.

Liz46 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:25:08

I have bought my granddaughter unicorn slippers and a unicorn money box (as requested) so I have started crocheting a unicorn for her bed as a surprise.

I made her (monkey mad) brother a knitted monkey recently and his face lit up when he saw it.

Cherrytree59 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:09:05

I wish some one would make me a crafted gift.
I still have some crafted gifts that were made for me by my great aunt.

Every year my grandmother and mother knitted Christmas arrans for the whole family including my dolls.

I do love to receive homemade cards from my toddler DGS.

This year I have bought my DD a Terry's chocolate orange in a knitted penguin, a bit like a tea cosy.
There were several animals and robins etc to choose from.
They make quite cute little gifts to hang on the tree or stocking fillers.
If only I could knit or crochetsad

judypark Fri 10-Nov-17 17:29:02

A rich homemade fruitcake, especially if laced with a bit of the hard stuff, will last for ages if stored correctly. They are incredibly expensive to buy in the shops.

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 17:02:02

Shortbread for me please bobbin wink

cornergran Fri 10-Nov-17 16:59:56

I’d love something hand made. Go for it.

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:55:50

Some edible gifts from Nigella
www.nigella.com/recipes/christmas-gift

My DC used to love the home-made/knitted toys that my sister used to make for them.

Christmas has become too commercial altogether and perhaps we should all return to the simpler gifts made and given with love.

Ski43 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:49:23

Oh ignore your friend. I stayed with my sister in law a couple of years ago, and her family all swapped hand made gifts and they all loved them,my son in laws sister made him some pygamas last year and he was over the moon. I would love someone to make me something special.I’ts not mean I’ts lovely so go for it.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:35:45

I have made presents for years. I started by making Christmas tree decorations for each of the family - just one for each person; the list has got very long now. I have made toys for the children, dresses for my GD, cushions, fabric wreaths, and on and on. I started doing this when I retired. I do buy some presents too - some people are difficult to make for.

I should give it a go. There's a huge amount of thought, love and time goes into a hand-made gift and surely that's what Christmas is about.

bobbin Fri 10-Nov-17 16:34:13

oh Jalima that's a great idea! I think I could probably manage either crochet or knitted ones...just about!

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:53:34

ps they all look like crochet, not knitting

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:53:02

www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/476748310526767369/?lp=true

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:52:54

For small gifts for friends you could buy lovely soaps and put them in those hand-knitted bags which also work as defoliating scrubbers.

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:50:35

I think it is a good idea - go for it!
Yesterday I was trawling round the crowded shops looking for a birthday present and thought 'I can't do this any more for Christmas presents for everyone'. So I may make something small for each person plus - horror of horrors - give a voucher blush
Of course, if I close down the pc I could get started now.

bobbin Fri 10-Nov-17 15:47:59

in all honesty, it's my dil's reaction i'm most worried about. she tends to receive quite expensive gifts from my son and sometimes mentions that she has an Amazon 'wish list' if we need any ideas...