Gransnet forums

AIBU

Taking Decorations Down

(47 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sat 30-Dec-17 21:34:57

Does anyone else not want to wait until 05 January to take Christmas decorations down? I know people that hate them going, but I can't wait to get them up before Christmas and then after Christmas to take them down.

annsixty Sat 30-Dec-17 21:40:30

Mine will be down on Tuesday, cards perhaps Monday, I just want to be back to normal.

Alima Sat 30-Dec-17 22:00:22

We took our decorations down yesterday, earliest ever. Downhill to spring now, yaaay!

ninathenana Sat 30-Dec-17 22:15:13

We've taken ours down on 2nd Jan. for sereval years now.

MawBroon Sat 30-Dec-17 22:17:49

Two threads on this?
Really?

Bathsheba Sat 30-Dec-17 22:32:25

Exactly what I was thinking Maw confused

Luckylegs9 Sat 30-Dec-17 23:17:22

Oops. Couldn't see the other thread, only one about hating Christmas, which I most certainly do not. I love it and the build up, but once it's gone that's when I want decorations down. See people have beaten me to it.

ildifro Sun 31-Dec-17 02:02:17

I think it has changed for us this year...the lights in the evenings give us a calm and memorable feeling especially because it's summer here on our island in New Zealand... reminds us of the many winter evenings when we used to live in Europe

BBbevan Sun 31-Dec-17 06:27:05

We will probably take them down on Tuesday. That is the first day we have nothing planned. I like to get the house straight. Also that day is our 53 wedding anniversary so it will be good to face the next year all neat and tidy. ?

Teetime Sun 31-Dec-17 09:50:28

All coming down today and a big clean. Fridge emptied and fresh food supplies ordered. Countdown to Spring!

AlieOxon Sun 31-Dec-17 10:27:51

Too much buildup to Xmas this year. I've only had the minimal things up - because I had my sister and partner here - and I will take them down tomorrow.

Not what I used to do. This is the third Xmas without my daughter, and it isn't what it used to be.

goldengirl Sun 31-Dec-17 12:10:27

We reduced our decorations this year to the tree and lots of lights around the room. The tree will be dismantled next weekend - or before - along with the outside lights but I'm thinking of leaving the indoor lights up as they're so pretty when the outside is so very grey and gloomy.

Mapleleaf Tue 02-Jan-18 16:16:34

They will be coming down at the weekend.

Pittcity Tue 02-Jan-18 16:28:00

All down today and house clean.

farview Tue 02-Jan-18 16:45:23

Usually leave til the 5th/6th but had Daughter,hubby&baby here for 2wks,plus one of our sons,so needed to do a BIG clean andade sense to take the decorations down and drag two needle splattering trees outside sad....But house looks bare and cannot find any tulips or daffodils!!!

annsixty Tue 02-Jan-18 16:47:42

Same here Pittcity although the outside ones will have to wait until tomorrow when my S will do them.

Greyduster Tue 02-Jan-18 16:53:46

Everything gone today and back in the loft - I am giddy with delight!

Niobe Tue 02-Jan-18 16:57:19

Same here, all packed up and back in their box!

Marydoll Tue 02-Jan-18 16:59:12

All down and in the loft too.
We have DGD tomorrow and I couldn't bear the thought of doing it on Thursday as we will be exhausted and lying down in a darkened room after her visit.
We are usually very traditional and leave everything until 6th January. However, as we get older and less able, it becomes so exhausting.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Jan-18 17:00:38

No!
I shall look forward to the putting the Christmas tree lights on again this evening.

Cherrytree59 Tue 02-Jan-18 17:05:00

Ours all down New Years Eve for the Hogmanay clean.

Fairveiw I have purchased three pots of Hyacinth bulbs which are all in bud
I am so looking forward to the cheerful flowers and lovely scent. smile

phoenix Tue 02-Jan-18 17:21:22

We had a total change with our decorations this year, three LED illuminated twig trees, in 3 different sizes, sort of clustered together in the corner where we would have the tree, just decorated with the silver baubles that we have had for years, looks stunning (not just my opinion!) quick, easy, and no mess, apart from the glitter on the new snowflakes I ordered for £1.99 for 12!

I will be sorry to take the decs down, but also glad to be back to normal.

PS Mr P is so enamored of the look that he wants to leave it until 12th night, and he is usually the one wanting to take it all down on NYD!

BBbevan Tue 02-Jan-18 18:06:35

All down and packed away. Seems a bit bare now., despite a large pot of hyacinths I am growing , in the kitchen Never mind , it won't be long until the £1 bunches of daffodils are in the shops

MissAdventure Tue 02-Jan-18 18:08:59

Not only can I not stand putting the tree up: I can't stand taking it back down again too. So, all I've done so far is switch off its lights.

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Jan-18 19:03:35

Mine are staying up, and all lights will be twinkling, until Saturday. I love them and always feel a bit sad when they’re gone.