Gransnet forums

AIBU

What would you do if you were Royal?

(46 Posts)
Jalima1108 Mon 15-Jan-18 23:57:00

I'd help them clean their teeth and take mine out to show them what happens if you don't clean your teeth twice a day.
I love it, thank you for that giggle just before I go to bed (and clean my teeth extra carefully!).

tcrgrin

MawBroon Mon 15-Jan-18 23:53:03

Why I wonder do I prefer Wilma’s scenario to yours paddyann? tcrgrin

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 15-Jan-18 23:46:36

Well now, assuming I didn't abdicate grin, I'd make sure it was a Saturday and on my own I'd call unannounced on William and Kate. I would tell them to ring Harry and Meghan and tell them to come over.

Then I would tell them to forget for the day that I was Queen and they were part of the Royal family. They had to call me Granny or Gran and the great grandchildren had to call me Lizzie GG.

We would spend the whole day together and I would go home just before midnight.

I would play on the floor with the children and they could show me their favourite things. Then we'd all play hide and seek and I would hide under Kate and William's bed with George and Charlotte. We'd have elevenses and penguin biscuits to catch our breath.

At lunchtime we'd have beans on toast at lunch time and I would spread the toast with lots of butter. Mini magnum lollies for afters. Afternoon naps for the adults are optional, but it would be fine if the lads wanted to watch some sport on TV and then the women could natter about the wedding. I'd tell them some funny family secrets about weddings.

Then we'd all go out for a bike ride around the grounds. I would ride the trike with seats on the back in case the children get tired. Kate and William would both have bikes with a trailer bike for George and a carriage for Charlotte. Harry and Meghan would be on a tandem. We could swap about if we fancied a go on the other bikes.

At tea time we'd have a takeaway pizza. Then I would help Kate with the children's bath time, even if I was still really just playing with them. I'd help them clean their teeth and take mine out to show them what happens if you don't clean your teeth twice a day. Finally I would read them bedtime stories until they fell asleep.

Once the children were asleep, we'd sit with our feet up drinking whatever we fancied and chat about the small stuff that fills our day to day lives. We might watch Strictly or forbid, a bit of Britain's Got Talent or X Factor so I could see what Simon Cowell was like.

At the end of the day I would go home with enough photos of the day on my phone to make me smile every day of the year.

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 22:47:01

? That's funny & clever Paddyann

paddyann Mon 15-Jan-18 22:40:47

Abdicate and sign a dissolution of the monarchy paper so NOBODY could go back ...Republic at last .

eazybee Mon 15-Jan-18 20:43:56

It would be lovely not to have to queue anywhere.
And at the end of a busy day- jubilee, wedding, hosting a reception, not have to think as the car sweeps up the drive: 'what am I going to give them all for tea?'

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Jan-18 19:50:36

Riding out would only take an hour or so - I would like to scrutinise the accounts to find out what charities she does support.
I could peek through the red box and see what I could authorise or cancel.

Then a light lunch with Philip (to see what he is really like grin) followed by a delightful but informal afternoon tea with Heads of Commonwealth whilst Philip has an afternoon snooze.

wildswan16 Mon 15-Jan-18 19:28:31

I would love to have a nosey around all the parts of the palaces and castles that the public never usually see. And before going home at the end of the day I would like one very posh afternoon tea served very regally.

farview Mon 15-Jan-18 18:36:33

Yes money away to charities,family&friends..spot of horse riding also... definitely no curtsying by. anyone!!!!!

vampirequeen Mon 15-Jan-18 18:23:28

Give most of her money away to charity.

whitewave Mon 15-Jan-18 18:19:52

Have a rifle through all her clothes.

Jane10 Mon 15-Jan-18 18:15:45

I'd have a wonderful lunch party and invite all sorts of interesting people.
Also I love corgis!

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Jan-18 17:59:00

sit in the gold coach.
But not go anywhere in it - as HM said last night it is extremely uncomfortable!

Have a day off with the horses and dogs, perhaps ride around Windsor Great Park (but with a riding hat on not a headscarf)

MissAdventure Mon 15-Jan-18 17:53:03

Probably much the same as they already do. Charity work. It would be nice not to have to work shifts!

Anniebach Mon 15-Jan-18 17:49:17

Look at queenie's art collection, faberge eggs, jewels, sit in the gold coach.

mollie Mon 15-Jan-18 17:45:13

While I admire some of them, I really wouldn’t want to swap BUT wouldn’t it be wonderful to have access to people who could advise me on, and get hold of, clothes that would actually fit. Such a luxury! I’d fill my suitcase then run!!

Iam64 Mon 15-Jan-18 17:44:49

Yes, I’d be relieved I didn’t have to be a member of the royal family for longer than a day. During my Royal day, I’d do my best to avoid doing or saying anything to let the media know anything about me. I may choose to have a full M OT from one of the Queens physicians, so I had something useful to take back into real life.

M0nica Mon 15-Jan-18 17:43:10

There is very little I could do, as the Queen's remit to make big changes over anything is so limited.

Look at the way Prince Charles is criticised and damned every time he tries to use his influence to press issues he feels strongly about.

Beyond those two and possibly princes William and Harry, the other royals have zilch influence over anything.

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 17:40:54

Brilliant, ILoveCheese,I couldn't agree more, unless of course I was Queenie from Blackadder,then it would be ' orff with their heads!!

Ilovecheese Mon 15-Jan-18 17:37:48

I would be very thankful to know I was going back to being me the next day!

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 17:11:20

Many people criticise the Royal family, mostly it seems because of the real & perceived privileges they enjoy ( or not)
So Gransnetters what would you do if you could swap places for a day or more?