Gransnet forums

AIBU

bbc male presenters.

(62 Posts)
matson Fri 26-Jan-18 12:14:46

Annoyed about this, surely female presenters salaries should have been raised to the same level as the male presenters? It is surely a bit insulting to the women that they are not worth what the men were earning!

jollyg Tue 30-Jan-18 13:51:09

BBC only exists because they have a plethora of excellent camera folk/ producers, and they have excellent contacts worldwide. most of the monymake 'in-house' comes from franchising.

The in house 'plonkeres' are just surfing on the waves of their
predecessors.

humptydumpty Tue 30-Jan-18 12:51:26

I think that putting a cap on BBC salaries of not more than the PM's would be frankly ridiculous - most of the current talent would leave.

Peardrop50 Sun 28-Jan-18 17:08:25

You make some valid points quizqueen and you make them well. There is a danger the balance tips the other way. A world of emasculated men and aggressive women would be awful.
I have to admit that I like to have a car door opened for me or a seat pulled out for me. To be told I look nice or given a hug to say welcome.
There are horrid sleazy men but the vast majority are decent blokes feeling lost as their role comes in to question. Off topic I know but this wave of extreme feminism is all connected.

quizqueen Sun 28-Jan-18 15:02:52

I fear there is a witch hunt now against men; especially white men who earn a lot. Has no one thought that their years of continuous, unbroken service could and should have contributed to their higher salary by way of increments/loyalty bonuses etc.

But, yes of course, let's have equal remuneration for equal performance so women should require only two weeks paid maternity leave the same as most men take paternity leave, women tennis players should be playing 5 sets, no asking to cut down to p/t hours because you have decided to have children if you were originally employed on a full time contract, no sneaking off to take your child to the dentist on work time or watching the school play or picking granny up from the hairdressers. Let's have the same conditions and perks for mothers (or main carers), men and childless women too.

I think it's actually women who need to step up and, if they want the same pay, as should be their right, then acceptance of work conditions need to be identical in all respects if the same pay is expected. Having children or taking extended time off for whatever reason is a personal decision and can often be detrimental not only to the company but to the other workforce and I see no reason why any company should have to accommodate anyone who cannot provide consistency. The tide has turned too much the other way now and it will be the men who are treated unfairly in the future. It's time people looked up the word equally and not just cherry picked the good bits from it.

varian Sun 28-Jan-18 11:30:00

I agree kitty Naga Munchetti is very irritating. I couldn't believe it when I heard her say "who makes white sauce these days?"

kittylester Sun 28-Jan-18 10:17:42

Amol Rajan - my phone is getting above itself again!

kittylester Sun 28-Jan-18 10:16:17

I hope ITV poach Jeremy vine and we can have amol raja presenting his radio show all the time.

I must be the only person in the world who loves Claudia Winkelman and I find Naga Munchetti irritating beyond belief.

Grampie Sun 28-Jan-18 09:21:10

lived in China

Grampie Sun 28-Jan-18 09:20:14

Amma54,

Carrie Gracie is married to Jin, a Chinese citizen, and their two live in China.

They are now separated and Carrie may have brought her children to the UK.

We can see more than one reason for Carrie wanting to come home.

eazybee Sun 28-Jan-18 08:59:53

All the presenters' salaries need to be reduced, and not be more than the Prime Minister. it is public money that is being squandered.
I had a girlfriend many years ago who thought it wrong that women should be expect to be paid the same as men, because 'they have all the household responsibilities'. She never opened those nasty brown envelopes , and never had a proper job, just part-time temping.

Grampie Sun 28-Jan-18 08:46:46

I thought these high-end presenters of both genders had employed Agents to negotiate their deals.

Perhaps some Agents need to be replaced to secure better deals from the BBC.

Right now Jeremy Vine’s Agent could have a deal for him from ITV.

W11girl Sat 27-Jan-18 20:31:31

I’m all for equality but it’s turning into positive discrimination against men ... what’s happened to being hired on merit?

Nelliemoser Sat 27-Jan-18 17:49:30

Radio 4s "Today" program has Mishal Hussein and Sarah Montague as presenters.
Now there are two very intelligent women who can hold the program together, interview important politicians and not let them off the hook when the interviewee is trying to get away with prevarication. These two women are just as good as the men in that program. They should be paid the same hourly rate.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 27-Jan-18 16:53:35

libra10
The fact a person has the benefit in terms of years than another in which to achieve their chosen profession does not necessarily make them more ' talented' and could be seen as age related discrimination.

Overthehills Sat 27-Jan-18 15:37:33

Hear hear Margs!
Claudia Winkleman doesn’t annoy me (but she is overpaid!) but Carrie Gracie does. It’s impossible to compare them and say who deserves what as they’re doing totally different jobs. They can only be compared to others (men and women) doing the same job and paid the same.

LuckyFour Sat 27-Jan-18 15:26:05

I think we need our great women journalists and we don't need people like Chris Evans and Claudia Winkleman who are frankly annoying. Somehow the BBC are misunderstanding their audience.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 27-Jan-18 15:25:17

There should be no 'him her' when it comes down to both doing the same job same qualifications.
Be it a cosy studio or battlefront.

libra10 Sat 27-Jan-18 14:54:47

I agree about men and women being paid equal amounts of money for doing the same job. But what about talent?

How is that defined? Is Claudia Winkleman, for example, more talented than Naga Munchetti? Should the more talented presenters (whether male or female) still receive higher pay?

It seems to open up lots of discussion!

GabriellaG Sat 27-Jan-18 14:02:21

A divorced working woman/mother will end up being the winner as they'll benefit from the divorce settlement, an ongoing income for the children, plus her own salary (on a par with a man) and any new single childless partner's income in the future. It does work for men but not in quite the same way. A close friend is divorced, has a high 6 figure salary but has to pay out an eye-watering amount for private schools for three children, buy a house for his ex and one for himself after selling the marital home and spent A LOT of money flying to see the children every weekend and renting a weekend place to spend time with them. His ex put a lot of pressure on him financially. House, car entertainment for the kids...the squeeze hurt. Don't forget. The salary announcements are not nett of tax. Their take home pay won't be anything like that.

varian Sat 27-Jan-18 14:00:17

The vice chancellor of Bath University has now been sacked because she was so overpaid, yet I think some might have rated her job as being more important and more difficult than highly paid tv performers like John Humphries, Claudia Winkleman, Jeremy Vine, Alex Jones etc. They all work in a public service.

I am sure there are many well qualified and talented people who would be more than willing to present tv programmes for £150k pa or less.

GabriellaG Sat 27-Jan-18 13:44:12

Sorry. Longevity.

GabriellaG Sat 27-Jan-18 13:43:49

It has to do with lingevity in the position too.
A policeman with more years service than a 3 year 'rookie' is on a higher pay scale due to experience not rank.

GabriellaG Sat 27-Jan-18 13:40:46

*For not or.

GabriellaG Sat 27-Jan-18 13:40:15

If you did two (or more) separate jobs with separate contracts for the same company, would you expect to have parity with someone doing one job?
I think not. John Humphreys reportedly has two separate contracts with two separate arms of the BBC. What we are reading is the lumping together of his two salaries by the media or effect.
The same applies to Claudia Winkleman. She has two separate jobs and two separate paymasters.

HootyMcOwlface Sat 27-Jan-18 13:39:04

They should sack the lot of them (especially that awful Peter Levy on Look North) and bring in some new cheaper faces. It surely can't be that difficult to sit and read out the news.