Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect British Gas to honour its contract?

(86 Posts)
OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 22:22:41

Absolutely right hulahoop this could have been anticipated and plans made. I’m wondering about gas pressure possibly being low???

I’ve given up and am in bed with hot water bottle and wishing I hadn’t trained the dog to sleep in his basket. Could just have done with a warm furry body ??

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 22:19:36

Cleverblonde. I have checked that - first thing I did. Also I’ve turned boiler off and then reset. But after a few minutes it emits a strange growling sound like a bear and the pilot light goes out.

hulahoop Thu 01-Mar-18 22:19:34

Same here old Meg have been sat on hold listening to someone saying thanks for waiting for three hours then went online and no joy it said they were having technical problems luckily we have heater for upstairs I appreciate it will be busy and staff may not have got the in but they should have back up plans . Our boiler isn't a year old yet and we were told it wouldn't freeze up !!!

Cleverblonde Thu 01-Mar-18 22:16:46

We had frozen pipes. The pipes that lead outside from the boiler. A gentle trickle of boiling kettle water on the pipes and boiler reset and all was fine. Maybe worth a try? We’ve done it 4 times this week!

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 22:02:17

Have you looked all those up just tonight for me Elegran ..that’s so kind.

Thank you. .

Elegran Thu 01-Mar-18 21:57:22

These might help too. If you go to www.complaintsdepartment.co.uk/british-gas/ there are live links to all these contacts.

British Gas complaints contacts

Call Customer Complaints on 0800 107 0184

Email Customer Complaints on [email protected]

Visit Customer Complaints

Email Iain Conn (CEO) on [email protected]

Tweet British Gas

Tweet British Gas Help

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 21:52:45

I’ve given up on BG but a local boiler repair man will be round first thing tomorrow.

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 21:51:37

I will certainly do that, thanks for link Elegran

Elegran Thu 01-Mar-18 21:47:35

Get into bed with the hot-water bottles and a flask of hot drink, and dial from there. Don't go to sleep and drop the phone!

Elegran Thu 01-Mar-18 21:45:49

Their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/search/str/british+gas/keywords_search is full of similar stories. Can you add yours and possibly get them to pay attention?

Admittedly they probably ARE very busy, and not fully staffed, but they have taken your money (and from others) to be on call for just such emergencies. They should have a fall-back plan.

Actualy, redialling is no use - you go to the back of the queue each time you dial. If you hang on and wait, you are ate least moving slowly up the list. But expect a long wait!

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 21:19:47

Tonight at 7.30 pm our boiler broke down. It’s -3 outside and falling.

We have a Homecare agreement with British Gas plus our boiler is monitored 24/7 under a scheme we pay extra for.

So we rang the 24/7 ‘helpline’ (I use the term loosely) and it was engaged, and engaged and engaged. You could not use ringback on this number. I redialled and redialled and redialled.

Meanwhile DH was ringing other British Gas numbers and not getting through. After almost 2 hours we’ve given up. Apparently they are ‘very busy’ according to one answer machine he managed to access before the voice said to ‘ring back at a less busy time’ before cutting him off. ?

So here we are two OAPs in our 70s in a freezing cold house. No heating and no hot water. Our kind neighbours have lent us a couple of electric heaters and we’ve dug out the hot water bottles.

So much for British Gas....and this time I DO SO HOPE that this thread gets picked up by the DM as .....I’m about to shout BRITISH GAS HOMECARE IS CRAP - with apologies to those who don’t like naughty words. ???