Gransnet forums

AIBU

HAIR TEXTURE CHANGES.

(43 Posts)
Panache Sun 08-Apr-18 09:25:48

Just at an age when expecting my hair to behave I find it is once again the greatest bane in my life!
I had very dark brown, rather greasy lanky hair as a youngster and through the many years in between..........too many to admit to!......I have tried a plethora of cuts,perms,colours and yet never completely satisfied at any one time.I am ashamed to add a small fortune has been spent on this mane of mine!
With my hair well into its snow white soft,downy side now I thought a 4 weekly trim would see me through these latter years with at least a neat and pleasant hair style.
How wrong can you be??!
I have recently developed a curl!!
In fact my hair has a complete mind of its own,the texture has changed and this very definite curl makes my life intolerable............AGAIN!
I have tried various gadgets,conditioners and the rest.....all to no avail.My general health is poor and the fact I can never depend on my hair simply being neat and in some nice style is truly getting me down.
If you have any advice,hints or tips I will listen and be most appreciative..................am even thinking the answer lies in a wig!
One has enough changes to deal with as we grow older without hair playing "funny beggars!!!"

Elegran Sun 08-Apr-18 09:33:11

I wish mine would develop a curl!

annodomini Sun 08-Apr-18 09:54:38

Mine has never been easy to control. It has been fine and wavy all my life which was a pain in the 1960s when it was the fashion to have long straight hair which could be dressed in any number of styles. Now it is soft, silvery and curly, like it was when I was a toddler. It's also thinner on the right side on which I always sleep. It now looks very like my granny's hair which she used to get me to comb. I think my hairdresser understands it but sometimes am tempted to try another. Better the devil you know? Panache, if you have found a hairdresser who understands your hair, hang on to him/her, if not, look at your friends and see who has the best haircut and ask for a recommendation. I doubt if a wig would be worth the expense of getting a really good one.

hildajenniJ Sun 08-Apr-18 09:58:32

Mine's straight and short. In fact, it's the best it's ever been in my entire life. I've got a round face, and anything other than a short haircut tends to hide me! If my hair developed a curl it would be a pleasant change.
Sorry, no advice about looking after your hair, just a wee bit of envy. ?

Crazygrandma2 Sun 08-Apr-18 10:10:04

In amongst all the gadgets mentioned, have you tried GHD straightening tongs? Expensive but worth every penny - cheaper models just aren't as good in my experience. Recent trip to a new hairdresser and I was giving a firm talking to that I had to make peace with my hair as it is today. It seems grey/white hair is very different to our younger hair. I'm the happiest I've ever been with my hair, apart from the way it naturally parts down the back, but then I cant see that. Good luck smile

OldMeg Sun 08-Apr-18 10:22:51

Learn to love your curls. My DD spent hours straightening her hair until one day she gave up. Now she washes, conditions, runs her fingers through it to rough it up and lets it dry naturally. Then she gives it a good brush and it looks great.

But she does have a good hairdresser who makes sure the cut allows it to dry in a good style.

LizHand Sun 08-Apr-18 10:31:58

Its not cheap, but 6 monthly I get a "brazilian" - hair treatment, minimum syling required!!! Olaplex is also now my best friend to keep hair, strong and shining. Neat bob for me but always needed to control natural kinks and weather frizz.

Oldwoman70 Sun 08-Apr-18 10:35:18

I wish the texture of my hair would change! Always had very fine flyaway hair, although a lot of it. One hairdresser commented that it was "very soft" - meaning she couldn't do anything with it! She spent over 30 minutes trying to blow dry it into some sort of style but in the end gave up!

MissAdventure Sun 08-Apr-18 10:37:19

My hair has changed.
Its always been thin and lacklustre, now its greasy too!

Coconut Sun 08-Apr-18 10:40:30

I too had fine greasy hair when young, had to wash it daily and like you tried everything ... perms etc Now I am glad of the “ grease” as so many friends have dry, brittle hair now, whereas mine is not at all. Also what’s strange is my hair colour. I was always just a mousy colour and used to have blond or reddish highlights .... now I do not colour it at all and I have gone a really lovely dark brown colour. 2 friends have asked me what colour I use as it looks so nice ! Plus my Mum actually said I shouldn’t die my hair so dark as it doesn’t suit my skin colour !! She won’t believe that I don’t dye it even tho I have proved it with roots, plus the odd “ glitter” streak !!

squirrel5 Sun 08-Apr-18 10:41:59

Oooh I understand how you feel,as my hair also does what it wants One day it will look ok, and be very different the next day even using the same shampoo,,styling products etc and just ,WILL NOT go in to style,dead straight,no curl .I cannot,blow dry to save my life,so have old fashioned heated rollers,and these seem to help hold a style for a while,plus plenty of spray,...have you tried heated rollersPanache?

radicalnan Sun 08-Apr-18 10:42:11

After 67 years of a centre parting I now wake up with a left hand quiff............no explanation for this phenomenon.

morethan2 Sun 08-Apr-18 10:42:16

I’ve got no answer. I’ve spent a fortune trying to straighten the kink in my hair. I’ve recently stopped dying my hair. I’m still in that phase of being shocked when I look in the mirror. I thought I’d be a dark grey but I’m a bright silver and it’s fuzzy. It feels lovely and soft. The only plus is my grandchildren love running their little fingers through it.

Panache Sun 08-Apr-18 10:53:34

What an interesting bunch of people you are with some very
great replies.
Good to know firstly that I am not alone with my mane difficulties!!!!
I rather like the thought of taking up your idea OldMeg......as it is certainly something completely different for me and it could turn out so much cheaper...........both thoughts appeal especially as Hairdressing in whatever method one uses is never cheap.
Furthermore I guess I have already lined more than enough Hairdressing pockets!!
My hairdresser of some 20 years will have a shock that`s for sure!
However I am certainly no pleasant picture at the moment as my once greasy locks have now decided to be extremely "fly away"..........I look as if about to take off!
However am delighted with your feed back lasses and I will keep you updated as and when.................... meanwhile keep on chatting.
This is turning out to be my best "Salon" experience ever up to date!

Wilma65 Sun 08-Apr-18 10:54:05

I have exactly the same problem. I used to have thick hair. It’s now gone nearly white and getting thinner. And it has developed a curl and waves. I had it cut into a shorter style and with the waves it’s lookes like the styles from the 30s. If I use conditioner it’s wavier. If I just use a cheap shampoo for a couple of washes it seems to be straighter. I bought s hot brush which helped a bit but have now just bought a straightener. Not tried it yet.

teabagwoman Sun 08-Apr-18 11:00:44

Panache I could have written your post. When I think how my mother complained about my dead straight hair and now it’s developing kinks and waves anywhere but where I want them. I have managed to exert a degree of control by using conditioner on my hair first, leaving it in for about 5 minutes before I shampoo it out in the shower, and using VO5 Express Primer Spray when I blow dry it followed by a good dose of hairspray. Hope this helps and good to know that I’m not alone. My hairdresser always talks as though she’s never seen anyone like it before.

Smithy Sun 08-Apr-18 11:03:12

I've always had problems with my hair. One side has a mind if it's own and if there's the slightest bit damp in the air, one side goes awry, and curls itself the opposite direction to how it's meant to be, which is basically a bob. I'm no good at blowdrying and try to put a roller in to make that side go the right way. As soon as I take the roller out it just curves back the way it was. Drives me ? mad. So, when I leave the hairdressers, it's lovely. If it's damp, it's back to it's unruly self by the time I get home. So I can really sympathise but sorry no suggestions as to what to do about it. I hate my hair really short so that's not an answer for me but might be for others.

Poppyred Sun 08-Apr-18 11:08:22

For all out there with fine flyaway hair try Moroccanoil Dry Texture Spray it's great!

starlily106 Sun 08-Apr-18 11:41:55

I used to love my hair, easy to get it to look the way I wanted it. Now it had developed a wave and it means that I can't do anything with it, as on the left my hair flicks forward, and on the right it flicks backwards. As I wear hearing aids I like to keep my ears covered, and I find it impossible to do that unless i use far too much hair spray. Also, I can wake up one day to find that I just can't do anything to stop it flopping flat. Oh, the joys of being old!

tanith Sun 08-Apr-18 11:53:09

I’ve had a curly mop all my life and still wish it was straight. I have a hot brush and GHD straighteners which tame it well. I now have a lovely hair dresser who loves my curls and berates me for straightening it often as she says her customers would pay through the nose to have my curls ?.

I do leave it curly when I have nowhere to go but my GC say it ages me and looks like a perm, so out come the hot brush etc!

Crazypussycat18 Sun 08-Apr-18 12:42:39

I have had curls all my life and absolutely hate them. As a teenager in the 1960's long straight hair was a definite must, so I would lay my hair on the ironing board, cover it with a tea towel and iron it straight. Thank goodness a genius invented straightners. My curls look lovely wet, but as they dry they point in different directions and my 11 year old grandson says I look as if I have had an argument with a lawnmower

Panache Sun 08-Apr-18 12:47:37

Oh dear,obviously an area where grand children offer no help whatsoever eh Crazypussycat 18!!!
But there is the age old saying......"Out of the mouth of babes....." but in your instance, I am sure you would rather turn a deaf ear!

janeainsworth Sun 08-Apr-18 13:16:19

Panache my advice would be to find a hair stylist who will actually assess your hair, ask what you want, and then tell you whether or not it’s achievable, and if it’s not, what are your next best options.
Not one who just asks what you want and tries to do it even though it’s never going to work.
Personally I would embrace your curls!

Tessa101 Sun 08-Apr-18 13:20:10

Why don’t you work with the curl instead of against it. Spray it with sea salt there are good ones about it leaves you with a textured wave and is very low maintenance and easy to do.

lizzypopbottle Sun 08-Apr-18 13:23:43

My hair is totally pathetic these days. I despair. It's very fine and straight normally. The weather affected it badly last night with it never being the same from one day to the next. I washed my hair yesterday and was quite pleased with it. Overnight, the temperature suddenly jumped and I was too hot. Sweating (but not enough to wake me) gave me a head of curls this morning! Unfortunately, it just looked very messy ?