Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dog poo hanging in trees.

(124 Posts)
pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 16:12:03

We've just been for a lively walk in the local woods. The wood anemones and wild daffodils are flowerig and a few blubells are coming out. The sun was shining, the birds were singing ...BUT it was spoilt for me by the sight of several plastic bags of dog poo hanging in the trees. Why do people do it? It won't rot in the bag (would be better left where it was on the ground from that point of view)

pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 16:14:46

Pressed post too soon, sorry. Why do people do this? What do they imagine will happen? Do they expect someone else to take it away? What do others think?

pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 16:16:36

My original.post has disappeared -only the sequel is here. ! It has gone to preview and I can't work out how to post it now.

pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 16:19:29

Or maybe it's there! I'm confused now!

janeainsworth Sun 15-Apr-18 16:22:37

I’ve never seen that polly but I would be as disgusted as you.

wildswan16 Sun 15-Apr-18 16:28:18

I see this too, what's the point of putting it in a plastic bag and then throwing it in a tree or just on the ground. It would be better to just leave it where it was.

I'm afraid some people are just ignorant idiots.

Chewbacca Sun 15-Apr-18 16:29:00

It's my pet hate polly; absolutely disgusting habit. Our village has its own Facebook page and the issue of dog poo not being cleared up at all, or dog poo being bagged up and left hanging from branches like faecal festoons, is a constant and oft repeated complaint. Surely it's no extra bother to bag it and take it to a bin or, if that's too much trouble, don't bag it but kick it in the undergrowth where it can decompose naturally.

nanaK54 Sun 15-Apr-18 16:45:05

Lots of this going on in my beautiful village, theory is that people intend to pick these bags up on their way back and then forget to do it, not sure that I think there's any truth in that

hildajenniJ Sun 15-Apr-18 16:58:07

Erm, I think I've been guilty of this. Hung pop bag on a bush to collect on the way home. Went back by a different route. Only realised what I'd done when I got home. I did go back for it and disposed of it though. blush

jenpax Sun 15-Apr-18 17:05:05

Our local face book group regularly has ranting threads on this same topic. I suspect the removal of many rubbish bins has contributed to this unpleasant trend ?

Cherrytree59 Sun 15-Apr-18 17:23:29

Why do they do it?
I just dont get it
Go to the trouble of picking it up (as they should) then lob it into a tree!!

Just this afternoon took my two little DGS on a gruffalo walk in our local forest and the littlest one picked up a discarded bag of dog poo before I could stop him! envy
Thankfully it was knotted
Still got the wipes out.
Grrrr

Jalima1108 Sun 15-Apr-18 17:30:51

The poo will start to decay and form methane gas which could expand the bag then explode .......

There are some very odd people around who may think that could be an amusing thing to do.

MawBroon Sun 15-Apr-18 17:37:03

It’s those long legged dogs I fear......

boheminan Sun 15-Apr-18 18:21:21

I agree that it's horrible seeing dog poo bags hanging from trees - but it's not necessarily people throwing the bags.

A few years ago whilst walking my dog I saw a rook rummaging in the dog poo disposal bin (which had a broken lid) pick up a bag and fly off, carrying the bag up to the lower branches of a tree.

chocolatepudding Sun 15-Apr-18 19:06:02

We have about 300 metres of public footpath along a river bank on our land and a further 200 metres of bridleway across a field. Dog pooh is the most offensive problem to deal with along with litter and some fishermen.
A couple of years ago DH was so enraged by the heaps of pooh he bought some of the spray paint that is used to indicate roadworks and repairs and liberally sprays the heaps. He also puts a notice on a stick telling the dog owner to clear up after the animal. This has reduced the incidents and most dog owners are decent people. I find it is the bigger dogs that cause the most problems! I can still pick up bags of pooh and some litter, but as there is no fishing allowed now the litter problem is much reduced.

ninny Sun 15-Apr-18 19:13:51

My theory is that they only clean up the dog poo because someone has seen their dog poo, if they weren't seen they would just leave it, then when no one is around they hang it on the tree or throw it on the ground it's disgusting ?

MawBroon Sun 15-Apr-18 19:34:01

Well I clear up Hattie’s offerings, carrying them to the nearest dog poo bin (we have 5 in our village) and as I always have dog poo bags in every pocket I have also on occasion “picked up” from pavements and paths in case children tread in it.
Not all dog owners are irresponsible with no regard for others

BlueBelle Sun 15-Apr-18 19:57:57

I think the rook/ crow theory is pie in the sky or is it poo in the sky thinking, that may happened on an odd occasion but it’s definitely people putting the poo bags on tree branches We get it round here too and it’s blooming disgusting

Iam64 Sun 15-Apr-18 20:07:46

Well, who could disagree with the view that hanging dog pooh bags from trees is a disgusting habit. I saw a regular dog walker do exactly that recently and asked her what she was doing. She said she'd pick it up on her way back from the walk around our fields. I suspect she did because she's a lovely woman, a regular and responsible dog walker.
I hope I'm responsible, I'd never ever leave one of my black biodegradable dog pooh bags hanging on a tree. I wish there were more dog pooh rubbish bins around so I don't have to carry two dog pooh bags for 3 miles but hey - if that's the most difficult task I face on a walk, I'm happy.
My real pet hate is people who don't pick up their dogs excrement. It's absolutely unforgivable to leave piles of dog pooh on footpaths. Yuk.

Grammaretto Sun 15-Apr-18 20:24:16

I dog sit for DD's small dog when she's on holiday and get chatting to all the dog walkers who are generally a friendly lot.
However one day I was ranting about our council as usual and my new doggy friend said there weren't enough bins for poo.
I made the mistake of suggesting that people weren't obliged to own a dog so why should our taxes go for that when they could take the bags home with them !
And also I didn't want the countryside littered with brightly coloured poo bins. Well we weren't really on speaking terms after that as I had plainly crossed a line.
I did surprise her by offering to dispose of her plastic bag on my way home.
I promise I didn't dangle it from a tree wink

pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 20:29:16

Well at least an an explanation has been given (that they intend to pick it up later!) I hadn't thought of that, only that they couldn't be bothered to take it home. Maybe there should be more bins but can't imagine the council being keen to go out into rural areas to empty them!

Iam64 Sun 15-Apr-18 21:07:44

Thats one of the problems pollyperkins. Our local reservoirs are of course, magnets for dog walkers. We're away from roads, sheep and other dangers. Our 3 mile reservoir has two pooh bins which means carrying pooh bags some distance. It isn't a hardship because we choose to have dogs and the least we can do is keep them on leads so they don't upset children or chase sheep, teach them to recall every time we call them and pick up after them

lemongrove Sun 15-Apr-18 21:24:54

Yes Polly it’s disgusting, no other word for it.
Tbh, it’s one of the things that that puts me off having a dog, having to collect up the excrement and then find somewhere for the bag to go, but if somebody is going to the trouble of bagging it up, then they should then dispose of it.
Needs a dog poo warden lurking in the woods!

Nanabilly Sun 15-Apr-18 21:37:11

We have just spent the last week away in our caravan and last thing every night I take the dog for a walk. One night I forgot to take the torch , campsite is pitch black . I knew the dog had done his business but could I find it in the dark so I got up very early the next morning to go pick it up before anyone woke up and saw it. I
I'm a very responsible for owner too and would never even leave mine hanging on a free to pick up on the way back.
The canal tow paths are terrible and it's the locals who do it not the boaters. The boaters respect the waterways.

GrandmaMoira Sun 15-Apr-18 22:06:46

I never knew there were bins for dog poo! Round here they have taken away the ordinary bins. I thought lack of public bins was part of Council cuts.