Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to not like my name being shortened?

(109 Posts)
Sazz1006 Mon 04-Jun-18 22:23:49

Ok, so my name is Sally and I’m over 60. AIBU to expect people who I barely know to call me by my full, two syllable name! Apart from my brother and a couple of friends I’ve known since I was 11, no one calls me Sal, not even my DH. Recently a couple of people I have only just met constantly call me Sal and I don’t like it! I would never shorten someone’s name unless they invited me to. What do other people think?

aggie Mon 04-Jun-18 22:31:01

Aged 3 yrs old I feel out with my Dad when he tried to shorten my name ! Didn't talk to him for a whole day .... everyone got the message . DS had his name shortened at school , from 3 syllables to 2 when he went to New Zealand for a time and came home with a one letter nickname after a spell in England ................ he didn't mind

Deedaa Mon 04-Jun-18 22:32:04

My name is Caroline and my mother was always enraged by people who shortened it to Carol. I wasn't bothered, except that there seemed to be more Carols around than Carolines. If someone said Caroline I knew they probably meant me!

When she was in her 70s she started calling me Caro which was apparently acceptable!

PamelaJ1 Mon 04-Jun-18 22:41:45

I gave my DDs names that couldn’t be shortened.

SueDonim Mon 04-Jun-18 22:44:27

I just don't answer to anyone using a shortened version of my name. It's never been regularly shortened by anyone and it just isn't 'me'.

Everyone has the right to be known as they wish, so maybe tell your friends that you prefer Sally.

SueDonim Mon 04-Jun-18 22:45:14

Same here, Pamela, for one of mine. It gets lengthened instead! grin

maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 22:46:39

I had an uncle who shortened everyone’s name - a good friend was called Eric and he called him Er

lemongrove Mon 04-Jun-18 22:51:06

Sazz You are entitled to your full name if that is how you introduce yourself to people, so gently remind these new friends that you prefer them to call you Sally.

SparklyGrandma Mon 04-Jun-18 23:17:26

My name is easily shortened, it’s similar to Christine, my mother was always adamant it should not be shortened.

For a while as a naughty teenager, I shortened it to something similar to “ Chrissy”, all my friends adopted it, it set my mother’s teeth on edge.

paddyann Mon 04-Jun-18 23:18:30

for years a lot of people shortened my nameand I just let it happen ,then when my parents died I really missed being called by my full name so i told folk thats what I wanted to be calle d and most people call me the full version.Doesn't sound quite the sam eas when my dad said it ...but it'll do

paddyann Mon 04-Jun-18 23:19:51

doesn't sound the same as when my dad said it...dont know whats going on with this keyboard .

grannyactivist Mon 04-Jun-18 23:34:50

One of my sons has a name that easily lends itself to being shortened, but we never permitted it when he was younger and as soon as he had a voice he wouldn't allow it either. My younger son also has a name that can be shortened and for a couple of years at college and work people used the diminutive. When he started university however he put in the effort required to correct people and now he is only ever referred to by his full name.
I have a name that can't be shortened. smile

Allegretto Mon 04-Jun-18 23:39:35

I am always called by my shortened name. I really don’t like the full version and most people don’t even know that there is a version that is not the name I am known by.

callgirl1 Tue 05-Jun-18 01:14:58

Mine is Lois, it can`t really be shortened, but there`s one person who calls me Lo. One of my sons is David, but only me and his siblings call him that, to everyone else he`s Dave, and I hate it. My eldest daughter was christened Lynne, we thought it couldn`t be shortened, but when she started to play out with other children, she very quickly became Lynny Pinny!

BlueBelle Tue 05-Jun-18 05:08:27

I don’t really like my name if it’s not shortened
Surely it’s up to you to tell them in a really nice way how you want to be called if they call you Sal just say with a nice smile I hate being called Sal

Blencathra Tue 05-Jun-18 05:24:08

It is completely up to you. Simply tell them not to do it. People call you what you wish. I know a child christened James and his parents called him Jamie - they intended to have him as Jamie always but when he was about 7yrs he insisted everyone, even his parents called him James.
My name is shortened but that is my choice and how I up introduce myself- I would correct people if they used the full version.
They will continue to call you Sal if you let them.

NanKate Tue 05-Jun-18 06:15:27

I like being called Kate, whenever I hear my full name Kathleen I know I am somewhere medical and I hate it.

kittylester Tue 05-Jun-18 06:26:45

My mum was the only person to call me by my full name. When I was about 4 I announced that I hated my name and would only answer to the shortened version. Very few people spell it correctly though.

For as long as I have known her, my sil has been called by her shortened name but for some reason everyone in her village uses her full name. It's very weird!

NfkDumpling Tue 05-Jun-18 06:31:53

I’ve always been known by my full name but when I started a job share some years ago I was persuaded to shorten it as my ‘other half’ had the same name and refused to change. I wouldn’t have minded but I later found out it wasn’t actually her name anyway!

annsixty Tue 05-Jun-18 06:41:58

Mine can't be shortened although I have on occasion been called Annie, how odd, however I just don't answer.
My D is Judith,and it has never been shortened, she won't allow it and I am very pleased.
My S is always called by the shortened version of his by everyone but me.

Humbertbear Tue 05-Jun-18 07:26:01

I don’t like my name being shortened. In nearly 70 years only one person has ever called me by a shortened form and strangely I didn’t mind as it was done with great affection. My DH rarely calls me by name . My mother often calls people by their names even when there is no one else in the room.

gillybob Tue 05-Jun-18 07:27:32

My DD’s name is Kate .

When I told him my new daughters name, my late grandad said “Can you not call her Katherine and shorten it to Kate ? You can’t call her just Kate, people will think she’s a barmaid” confused

cornergran Tue 05-Jun-18 07:34:10

My name is very hard to shorten or change in any way. One cousin manages it and it sets my teeth on edge. I’m lucky no one else joins in, probably see the expression on my face when it happens.

BlueBelle Tue 05-Jun-18 07:41:37

My first husband never used my name but always called me Pet all his friends thought that was my name so everyone called me Pet
So funny now I look back on it

gillybob Tue 05-Jun-18 07:45:16

My grandma shortened my name to Gilly . Everyone else shortened it even more . smile