Gransnet forums

AIBU

Poldark . AIBU?

(104 Posts)
Alexa Mon 18-Jun-18 09:02:57

AIBU , when a dear old friend rings me from Canada at quarter to nine we chat for ten minutes then I say I don't like to sound unfriendly but can I ring you back after my favourite TV drama ?

callgirl1 Mon 25-Jun-18 16:18:29

My daughter sent me a link last night, sorry, haven`t a clue how to put it on here, but the house used for the outside shots of Ross and Demelza`s place belongs to Will Young, and it`s up for sale now for £615,000, but it`s a whole lot nice inside than Ross and Demelza`s.

Jalima1108 Mon 25-Jun-18 13:56:57

ps and why not just call him Geoff?

Jalima1108 Mon 25-Jun-18 13:56:11

I didn't realise this was Geoffrey Charles at first

I always think that, for a local mine owner and now MP, the Poldark house looks very neglected, dark and dismal.

Yes indeed, poor Dwight and Caroline, that's the trouble with knowing what will happen next sad

merlotgran Mon 25-Jun-18 13:07:42

Things have certainly slipped since Ross has been away and not just at the mine. Prudie has obviously abandoned the trendy haircuts and now the kids look like nobody possesses a brush.

Geoffrey Charles has a new face and he looks a bit odd. Did they have Botox in the 18th century?

Poor Dwight and Caroline. sad

annep Wed 20-Jun-18 16:53:40

My children know not to ring me during Corrie or Neighbours (I do enjoy quality tv!) With other people I either wouldn't answer or maybe say, Can I ring you back in two minutes? and then start recording my programme. However, saying you are watching something- it really depends on the person and if you have that sort of relationship. I wouldnt mind at all if someone told me they were watching their favourite programme.

Witzend Wed 20-Jun-18 09:25:11

Should have added, recording also means being able to watch an hour or so earlier progs. that start at 9 - despite wanting to watch I have often been known to nod off before the end!

Witzend Wed 20-Jun-18 09:22:45

We also record anything we will want to watch - which is not a lot - and watch later, when it's easy to pause if anyone rings.
I do think iplayer should come with subtitles - I didn't know it didn't - when so much TV dialogue nowadays is 'realistic' - aka mumbled. I know my hearing is not quite what it was, but all the same if I watch any old series - e.g. The Pallisers (an old favourite) I have no trouble hearing what they're saying.

SparklyGrandma Wed 20-Jun-18 00:47:19

I wouldn’t answer but would ring straight back as the Poldark closing music started.

No need for anyone to be miffed.

Poldark has been further complicated by Antiques Roadshow being just before, both of which I enjoy.

judylow Tue 19-Jun-18 20:01:15

I think it depends on the friend. My closest friend and I would never be offended if one of us wanted to phone back but with others I wouldn't say anything, but then I can record or pause what I'm watching so it isn't a problem. Can't you ask your friend to phone at a slightly different time so things don't clash. Our daughter in America rings every Sunday and I'm usually cooking but would prefer to talk to her than worry too much about the meal.

Daisymay1 Tue 19-Jun-18 18:04:56

You can catch up on TV any time .

Alexa Tue 19-Jun-18 17:57:59

I am definitely going to learn about that pause button, and about getting subtitles on iplayer. Thanks for all advice.

Alexa Tue 19-Jun-18 17:53:10

FourorMore, it is difficult to paint the whole picture in my headline. What I have written is true however there are so many more aspects. Her life experience differs from mine since we were chums in Scotland in our teens and twenties. She got naturalised as a Canadian. We do have rather different interests now even in little details. On the other hand my life has shrunk so that a favourite TV programme is a highlight of my week.
I sometimes think how nice it would be if she lived close to me so I could help her with this and that which afflicts old people. But this would never do as she has sons in Canada, and really good connections with friends there. Life changes and we have to accept the changes.

fourormore Tue 19-Jun-18 16:46:40

Floriatosca - how I agree that it is lovely to have a friend who actually wants to ring for a chat. How many times do folks ring us because they want something - not because they want to see how we are etc.
I don't think anyone wanted to hurt the OP by 'disapproving' I feel that so many of us who post on these threads would give their right arms for someone to ring for a chat.
Think about when this series of Poldark (or other 'cannot miss' programme) ends - wouldn't we love a phone call? So much is done by text these days - a human voice is lovely.
Whenever I ring anyone 'for a chat' I generally check that they're not 'eating' or whatever. I ring an elderly friend each day and we feel comfortable enough with each other to be able to say - "can I ring you back in half an hour as I'm just serving up"
There are ways of asking and I think lots of us misunderstood the OP.
Like most I must admit I would cheerfully miss a programme to speak to a friend but with a bit of sensitivity surely we could do both?
Alexa - you are amazing to still be in touch - keep up the calls and the letter writing flowers

Feelingmyage55 Tue 19-Jun-18 14:38:54

Oops thought this was about the actual programme and THAT scene. Still prefer the original version with Robin Ellis, Ralph Bates and Anghradad Rees. So much chemistry. However better still, I love the books and still have them all. Presume they are still in print. Absolute classic and page turners for me. I use pause if the phone rings.

marmar01 Tue 19-Jun-18 12:55:54

i would prefer to talk to a friend, especial as when its different country's its hard to match up with times anyway. Tv can always be caught up later, i just put the pause button on

Alexa Tue 19-Jun-18 10:14:04

My friend in Canada does ring me about once every two weeks or so. She is the only person who rings me in the late evening(GodWilling!). She may well die before I do and then I will appreciate her even more. She knows the time difference and rings at that time deliberately perhaps because a Sunday evening call was when she rang her mother long ago. I must ask her.(GodWilling again)

Alexa Tue 19-Jun-18 09:59:48

MawBroon, I do wonder about Ross's black horse who apparently spends most of his life boringly galloping back and forward here and there mostly on a clifftop.

Alexa Tue 19-Jun-18 09:55:19

BTW it hasn't always been Poldark of course but other Sunday night dramas when she rings me. I don't ring her so much as her line has a habit of going all quiet and the call finishes with a deathly silence so I wonder if she has collapsed. I ring back, and write letters to her in what remains of my handwriting.

Stella 1949 and other critics your replies rather make me feel better and how fortunate I am. She herself is a wonderful woman in many ways, and has very good friends and neighbours where she lives in a small mountain town in Canada. I am now the only one with whom she can share girlhood memories, and I to share the same memories with her. She can't use a computer, and could not afford one anyway.

MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 09:55:10

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5854497/12-classic-moments-Poldark-JIM-SHELLEY.html

Alexa if you can’t occasionally put yourself first at 86, when can you?
Go on enjoying the “scenery”! gringrin

Alexa Tue 19-Jun-18 09:45:15

Stella1949 and others who dispprove of my action, I understand and this is what stopped me for months from explaining to her that I did not want to sound unfriendly but this was one of those few programmes I do want to watch and look forward to watching. She assured me that she understood and I know that she agrees that TV is mostly rubbish.

It's true that I am very fortunate especially at my age of 86 to still be in touch with a childhood friend and thank you for pointing this out. I'd miss the whole of Poldark, all episodes, if I thought by so doing I'd make her life any happier.
It is actually a general problem for me how much , and when, to please others instead of myself.

merlotgran Tue 19-Jun-18 08:38:02

I'm puzzled about little Jeremy's hair. He has a very modern cut so maybe Prudie has secretly set up a trendy salon in one of Nampara's barns.

It's important that Valentine keeps his dark curls, which look like a wig, to identify him as a 'maybe Poldark' in order to infuriate George but I'm surprised Ross isn't concerned that his legitimate son looks nothing like him.

Clowance has blond hair so doesn't resemble either of her parents. grin

SoleParentFamily Tue 19-Jun-18 08:15:26

I watch TV very rarely, but there are one or two dramas I watch religiously. The friend may have been offended, but you do have the right to your interests. It's the little pleasures that make life worthwhile (or, sometimes, just bearable). Maybe just turn off the phone, or allow calls on mobile from favourites only, if you're worried that the kids might have an emergency or something like that.

OldMeg Tue 19-Jun-18 06:44:57

I think you need to ring your friend and eat humble pie ?

Floriatosca Tue 19-Jun-18 06:08:44

I just wish I had a friend who actually wanted to talk to me, have a nice chat and catchup instead of two or three lines in a WhatsApp message.

stella1949 Tue 19-Jun-18 02:57:33

If I were your friend I 'd be very hurt and insulted. She is ringing to talk to someone she is friends with , and you put her off to watch television. I wouldn't bother to ring you back. Surely a friend is more important than a TV show.

Record it, or just don't answer the phone within 30 minutes of the show's start time if you prefer the TV to your friend.