Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to have had enough?

(195 Posts)
tictac Sat 21-Jul-18 13:42:58

Everyone I know has been having a go at me for daring to say this. But I can't cope with this weather much longer. It is relentless and although we have fans the heat has built up over the last weeks to the point where they are just blowing hot air around. I can't sleep and I am sweaty all the time and I am praying for rain

Jaycee5 Sun 22-Jul-18 09:03:28

I feel like I am achieving nothing. I want to give my flat a late Spring clean but it feels like an achievement to get the washing up done and a bit of tidying. My throat is scratchy and my eyes are itching and I am short of breath. I have to have my curtains closed because my living room faces directly into the sun and I can only open them for a short time.
I don't have a garden and so I don't really get any benefit. That's my moan of the week.
On the plus side, I am sleeping better as I have recently been taking D-Mannose which I read about in the Guardian and it does seem to be working. I don't have to keep getting up in the night which is something that I thought I was stuck with.
Once I have caught up on sleep I will hopefully feel less moany too.

sluttygran Sun 22-Jul-18 09:12:42

I keep the windows closed and curtains drawn in bedroom and sitting room during the day, then at sunset I open up to let some air in. It keeps things much cooler
I also fill my hot water bottles from the cold tap and bung them in the freezer. Wrapped in a towel, they are wonderfully refreshing, and also keep my bed cool at night.
Those bendy ice packs which you use for sports injuries are great, too - they go round my ankles, or the back of my neck.
One thing that’s really annoying me at the moment is that all our local ‘buses are equipped with air-conditioning, but drivers have been told not to switch it on because it increases fuel usage! I would gladly pay a few pennies extra to be cool and comfortable on board!

Pamaga Sun 22-Jul-18 09:16:47

I love it! One of my favourite holidays was in Singapore as that climate really suited me. I am miserable in the winter and in damp weather when I just can't get warm. OH is at the other end of the spectrum so we have control issues - of fans in the summer and central heating in the winter!

Gma29 Sun 22-Jul-18 09:20:16

I have enjoyed the warm days, but many have just been too hot and with not a hint of a breeze. After about 11.00am I’m indoors with the curtains closed. I would enjoy it more if it wasn’t so stuffy. I won’t be sorry for a break in the weather, but I do feel for anyone having a family holiday in the uk, as that can be a bit grim in poor weather

paperbackbutterfly Sun 22-Jul-18 09:21:24

Usually i love an English summer but this year it is relentless and way too hot. More like being abroad. No, I've also had enough now.

farview Sun 22-Jul-18 09:21:29

I also love the hot weather,never happier than when in Australia at my son's or Dubai with my daughter.today here in Lancashire it's chilly...got jersey on and it's yukky grey& drizzling..SUN come back please!!!

Elrel Sun 22-Jul-18 09:28:06

Blencathra - I wasn’t confident about the bath. Then DD arranged an appointment with her physio. He was very good, spent some time showing me methods of coping should I fall over when alone. They, and knee strengthening exercises he recommended, have given me confidence to use the bath again. There are some American ones on uTube, I found them worth watching.
I did a dressed ‘dry run’ getting in and out of the bath. Folded towel to line the bath was another idea.

peaches50 Sun 22-Jul-18 09:29:45

DH meds mean he cant go in the sun for long so we are trapped most of the time indoors. Nighttime really hard but I found huge relief by spraying the sheets lightly with diluted lavender water. Deliciously cooling and the smell makes me forget the heat rash etc etc etc.
But so delighted that my beloved lime tree I forgot to bubble wrap which was dead as a dodo from -5' winter has sprung back into life - the twigs so dry they snapped off but lo and behold it's sprouting even from those!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 22-Jul-18 09:34:18

You are not being unreasonable at all. Some of us like the hot weather and cannot get enough of it, and some dislike it and just want it to end.

The unreasonable people are those who try to force their viewpoint on everyone else, which neither the OP or others saying they find the hot weather difficult are doing.

Legs55 Sun 22-Jul-18 09:37:59

I love the sun but even here in Devon it's been too hot, can't do anything in the garden from about 11 until 5/6 as I get the sun all day. Either need to find a bit of shade or sit indoors with the windows open for any breeze & sometimes the fan on. We had rain Friday night/Saturday morning & then the sun played hide & see all day, blisteringly hot when the sun was out. No energy though & variable sleep. One night I was in the shower at 2am before going to bedhmm, house had cooled down by then. Thank goodness I no longer work & can go out in my own car

Rosina Sun 22-Jul-18 09:39:17

I agree that the sun is good for us all but not with temperatures at this frightful level and not for so long! How can anyone look at the parched fields, gardens, dried up reservoirs and waterways and then say this is of benefit? I too am reaching the end of my tether, dreading next week, and I'm really fed up with lurking indoors by the fan, not getting much done. I love sunshine and a blue sky, but in the spring and autumn when there is a fresh breeze, clear air, and you can sleep at night. I'm glad to hear your news Greyduster - could you not perhaps bring your holiday forward by a week? Pleeeese?

jenni123 Sun 22-Jul-18 09:50:21

I love this weather, we don't get enough of it, this is why it makes me mad people keep complaining about it. I hate the winter, dark nights and the cold but it is not something I keep moaning about, you have to suck it up and get on with it. I would like it this way all year round if I could, maybe that is why I went and lived in Egypt for 13 years.

GreenGran78 Sun 22-Jul-18 09:50:53

I am just grateful to be in the UK. When visiting my family in Sydney, last Christmas, it was 46C on one dreadful day. Even with the fans and air conditioner going full blast it was unbearable. We drove to the local shopping mall, where it was blissfully cool, and ‘chilled out’ for a few hours.
We have had one or two rainy days, here in Lancashire, and the grass is turning green already, so don’t despair. Your lawns will soon recover!

MissAdventure Sun 22-Jul-18 09:51:38

My phone app tells me its going to be 29 degrees from Monday to Friday next week..

loopylou Sun 22-Jul-18 09:52:47

I'm normally perfectly happy with warmer weather but having been very recently diagnosed with severe heart failure (thank you 'flu virus!) I'm really struggling as I'm so short of breath if I do much. It's like breathing through wet cotton wool at times.
All I can do is keep windows open both sides of the house, use fans and hope it changes soon!

inishowen Sun 22-Jul-18 09:53:12

You should all come to Ireland. We are enjoying lovely cool days now after a heatwave. Our hosepipe ban has been lifted too!

lilihu Sun 22-Jul-18 10:05:02

Jennil23 - it makes you mad when people complain about the excessive, often unbearable heat???????
I’m presuming you haven’t read any of the comments above?
Oh well, I suppose there had to be at least one post like that!

kazziecookie Sun 22-Jul-18 10:10:30

I absolutely love hot weather when I am on holiday and it’s great for my Arthritis but not too good when working.
I have a guest house in Devon and all my guests have just either gone out or checked out into the sunshine and I have got 7 bedrooms to either change or tidy.
Nightmare

missdeke Sun 22-Jul-18 10:15:36

I love the hot weather but appreciate how hard it must be for some people, but most of all I'm just grateful that my lawn has not needed to be mowed for at least a month!!!

sazz1 Sun 22-Jul-18 10:20:07

Im with you as really hate this weather. Feel washed out and tired all the time. I much prefer cold weather as I can regulate that with jumpers coats heating etc but hot weather you can't.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 22-Jul-18 10:22:30

Me too, but I’m trying really hard not to moan about it because last winter I was so cold I swore I’d never moan about being too hot ever again!

Minerva Sun 22-Jul-18 10:30:53

There are so many illnesses that make a run of very hot weather, and particularly being in the sun, unbearable; MS, Fibromyalgia, Erythromelalgia and Lupus to list just four. I happen also to have Raynauds so a cold Winter is another form of torture. I don’t complain about the heat except to doctor and family because I am happy for the vast majority of people who are enjoying the endless sunshine, just as I did before I got ill. To take people to task for hating the heat is very blinkered.

MissAdventure Sun 22-Jul-18 10:33:16

I complain all the time, to anyone that will listen!
My feet are swollen today, as well as itchy.
Could it be my sandals doing this?

Anniebach Sun 22-Jul-18 10:33:35

Given our long winters I am surprised you haven’t Gone back to live in Egypt Jennil23.

I will add to the ‘moaning ‘ I do not like this heat, and I dislike winter because I fear snow.

mabon1 Sun 22-Jul-18 10:35:07

Stop moaning