Gransnet forums

AIBU

Men & Woman are not equal?

(71 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 08-Aug-18 23:22:58

I have just been watching a programme showing the recovery of a articulated highsided lorry which had turned over on ice , sliding of a dual carriage way into a ditch. It was not rocket science when watching the recovery to realise that it required not only serious thought & planning but brute force ,strength & stamina to manoeuvre the heavy duty equip. It was a complicated situation & extremely physically demanding in dangerous & appalling conditions. I don’t think many if any woman would be or could be equal to a man in this scenario. I take my hat off to these unsung heroes.

MawBroon Thu 09-Aug-18 00:02:51

Rubbish!
I simply do not agree with what I see as an outdated and frankly illogical statement.
It does not take brute strength to use modern heavy duty hydraulic equipment and why should any woman not have the serious thought and planning you speak of?
What about the woman pilot who landed a US plane safely after a window blew out?
The pilot who coolly landed a crippled Southwest Airlines plane after a blown engine sent shrapnel through one of the jet's windows midflight has gone against the odds before.
Identified by The Associated Press as Tammie Jo Shults, she wasted no time rapidly lowering the plane toward safety when chaos broke out shortly after takeoff Tuesday from New York — maintaining her composure even as passengers reported from the cabin that a woman had been partly sucked out of a shattered window
"We have part of the aircraft missing, so we're going to need to slow down a bit," Shults is heard calmly telling air traffic controllers in audio transmissions after reporting the aircraft's engine failure
This is as anachronistic as those people in WWI who said women could not drive tractors or in WWII that women could not fly planes.
May I remind you of “Atagirl” Mary Ellis who has died recently?
Try making your comment to any female engineer, space rocket pilot, airline pilot or HGV driver .

Eloethan Thu 09-Aug-18 00:19:23

You can always rely on women to talk down the achievements of other women and espouse the superior qualities of men.

FarNorth Thu 09-Aug-18 00:43:14

Well said, MawBroon.

If a situation calls for brute strength, then men are usually better able to provide that than women are.
That is not justification for the sweeping generalisation of the thread title, even if it ends in a question mark.

BlueBelle Thu 09-Aug-18 06:25:26

I have no concept of what this poster is posting about You cannot state a fact like the headline on one observation
So here’s a counter headline
Men are not as strong as women as we all know they would not manage ‘labour’
This is such an old fashioned and ridiculous thought I m amazed someone could bother to start a post about it Feels like a thread started for the sake of it

Bridgeit some men are wimps some men are strong some women are strong some women are wimps Some wimps have huge mental strengths some ‘bulldozers’ have none strength comes in all shapes and sizes and is a TINY. part of a whole

crystaltipps Thu 09-Aug-18 06:31:52

Some men are stronger than some women and vice versa. Some women are better at intricate tasks than some men. Why is brute strength seen as a superior quality anyway? Gorillas are stronger than men - so what. Get back into the dark ages.

FarNorth Thu 09-Aug-18 10:18:26

"Why is brute strength seen as a superior quality anyway?"

Because men have always said that it should be?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Aug-18 10:32:45

What happened to the sisterhood Bridgeit?

Women can do whatever the put their mind to, so called heavy machinery is extremely light and easy to use.

I remember a quote from Ginger Rogers, when asked if she was in awe of her dance partner Fred Astaire, she replied "I do everything he does, except I do it backwards and in heels!!!"

We should be informing the younger generation that anyathing is possible regardless of your gender.

Bridgeit Thu 09-Aug-18 10:38:05

Yes perhaps the title was misleading, it was late, I was not on about heroics for which both men & woman are very much equal. This was a situation where heavy lifting gear could not be used straight away,it was a hands on long dirty heavy duty situation in ice & snow. Obviously there are some woman who would be able to,but I was referring to woman generally would not have the strength to do what I was watching, several together may have been able to,but there was only room for one person at different points of the recovery. Keep your hair on ladies I’m not dissing you,just pointing out a reality .?‍♀️

Bridgeit Thu 09-Aug-18 10:43:39

I did not say brute strength was a superiority, just pointed out there are limits to what anyone can do , be that man woman child or anything in between! I am also passionate about woman’s rights, have great admiration for the Suffergettes, BUT this does not make me an unrealistic idiot I know for sure that I could not have done what they were doing & there are also some men who wouldn’t be able to either. I was for once giving praise where praise is due, to the unsung heros who actually do the job.

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Aug-18 10:44:31

hmm I won't tell that tale to the engineer in our family who happens to be female and has managed teams of men in appalling conditions.
Mind you - she would probably have been in charge of operations and directing the men how to go about it.

Bridgeit Thu 09-Aug-18 10:46:20

Yes I can believe that Jalima,

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Aug-18 10:46:47

I agree Bridgeit - in most cases men are physically stronger than women - but in many cases may need a woman to tell them how to go about it
wink

Bridgeit Thu 09-Aug-18 10:49:23

Absolutely, no doubt what so ever about that.

Elegran Thu 09-Aug-18 11:05:42

I have not seen that report yet, but I take my hat off to those doing that long, dirty and arduous work.

You would have to define the "equal" for the title to be true, though. "Equal" doesn't mean they are or do "exactly the same". Women who endure several days of prolonged and unproductive labour, carry heavy toddlers wherever they go and whatever else they are doing, toil in the fields all day bent over crops or digging heavy land for planting, nurse and lift the sick, and prepare the dead for burial expend the same amount of physical energy and a good deal of emotional energy too.

In our time and place, much of the strenuous work has been taken over by machinery (invented by clever men and women to extend their strength) but it can't be completely eliminated.

humptydumpty Thu 09-Aug-18 11:23:03

I don’t think many if any woman would be or could be equal to a man in this scenario.

Surely the point of this OP should have nothing to do with the sex of the people doing it. It would have been much more appropriate to leave out the above sentence altogether and change the title to make the post a tribute to the people - male or female - doing the work.

Bridgeit Thu 09-Aug-18 12:12:28

It was a tribute to the men who attended the accident scene & observing the complexity of the situation which required a very strong person to attach a very heavy hook & chain ( over a100cwt down the side of a bank at a difficult angle) to the chaise of the upturned tanker in heavy snow & ice. I am a pretty hands on person & like to do whatever I can myself ( who needs a man is my usual mantra) but on this occasion, it just occurred to me that sometimes men just have the extra muscle power required. Simple as.

FarNorth Thu 09-Aug-18 13:05:04

Keep your hair on ladies I’m not dissing you,just pointing out a reality .

Why point that out?
It seems a really strange reaction to that event.
The more obvious reaction, imo, would be to admire and praise the people who carried out the recovery of the vehicle, without looking for a way to compare them to any other people.

Bridgeit Thu 09-Aug-18 13:52:23

Uhh ?I did

Isn’t that what Gransnet is for , to discuss topics, please do excuse my inappropriate topic . In your Opinion , obviously,
Why not just ignore it?

MawBroon Thu 09-Aug-18 14:50:55

Another pointless thread which will no doubt meander on.
The title is meaningless, the original post proves nothing and so far I have read nothing to back up OP’s thought that no woman is the equal of a man in the quoted scenario - or indeed any.

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Aug-18 16:00:59

Just in the interests of fairness:

Bridgeit Thu 09-Aug-18 16:05:47

Just as matter of interest I use to do weight training & did a job which could be described as a Man’s job.

I have asked for this thread to be deleted

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Aug-18 16:07:50

Oh!
I was enjoying it.
I thought you'd like my pictures Bridgeit - they were meant in fun.

OldMeg Thu 09-Aug-18 16:09:48

Just admit you could have come at this from a different angle OP!

Bridgeit Thu 09-Aug-18 16:14:44

Why.?