Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grrr! Holiday let oven!

(57 Posts)
Witzend Thu 09-Aug-18 22:12:19

We're in Cornwall, in a cottage booked by my sister, though she can't join us until tomorrow.
Came back lateish to put a pizza in the oven, only to find that the wretched thing wouldn't come on! The instructions say you have to 'use guesswork' with the controls, since the symbols are worn away, but it took us over 20 mins of faffing to get the bloody thing to come on at all!

I am almost more cross with dh than with the owners, since he doesn't want me to send a very stiff email at once - sometimes his bending over backwards to be 'nice' really makes me so mad.
My sister has paid several hundred £ for a week at this cottage and I don't think I'm at remotely U to think it's just not acceptable to fail to provide an oven that just WORKS, with no faffing.

merlotgran Thu 09-Aug-18 22:18:47

Send the e-mail stating it's a health and safety issue. If you don't get a satisfactory result threaten them with Trip Advisor.

cavewoman Thu 09-Aug-18 22:19:23

Chill! You're on holiday.
You've now got the oven working. Enjoy your pizza.

Niobe Thu 09-Aug-18 22:20:04

Not only would I be firing off an irate email but I would also be leaving a less than glowing review on Trip Advisor.

Deedaa Thu 09-Aug-18 22:20:31

I'm usually like your DH but I do think this is a legitimate complaint. Apart from the inconvenience I would be worried that an oven that isn't working properly might be dangerous.

pollyperkins Thu 09-Aug-18 22:21:22

I agree with you. It is unacceptable if the controls are unreadable not to leave proper instructions for using the oven, however much you've paid for the let!

phoenix Thu 09-Aug-18 22:21:24

My own oven has temperature things that have worn away, but I can still see when it's on!

In my opinion, you are def NOT being unreasonable to expect to be able to turn the damn thing on without a faff!

grannyactivist Thu 09-Aug-18 23:58:53

I'm just boggled at the thought that you have a cottage in Cornwall that presumably sleeps four people during high season and the cost is only in the hundreds of pounds, not thousands! shock

Grammaretto Fri 10-Aug-18 01:18:51

Holiday cottages can be a minefield.
I had to call the owners twice of the one we stayed in. First we couldn't get the water hot despite solar panels and hot weather. The owners talked us through the water. I did feel stupid. Then we found a wasp nest just outside the bedroom window.
Neither of these spoiled our holiday once we'd blocked where the wasps were getting in.
I certainly don't think you are BU. You have to be safe and comfortable.

OH is the same as yours. He cannot bear to complain. He'd be mortified.

kittylester Fri 10-Aug-18 06:46:35

I wonder why they haven't just replaced the switch so you can see the temperatures etc.

Humbertbear Fri 10-Aug-18 07:15:35

We are staying in a lovely cottage for two in Yorkshire. Everything works (even the Wi-Fi) but the washing machine seems to go through it’s cycle in 30 minutes. However, as our clothes just need refreshing this doesn’t really matter. Last year the kitchen was so small that there wasn’t actually a worktop where you could prepare food! Just a hob, draining board and sink in a row.

Bluegal Fri 10-Aug-18 08:33:29

I don't know how long you are there for but do you really want to waste time waiting for over repairs being done!

I would email - tell them its not working - then stop fretting - use whatever is available (microwave, grill, toaster etc)

We often have to 'improvise' but all part of the fun of being away to us!

P.S. don't mean you don't have to complain about it, only don't let it spoil your holiday

Bluegal Fri 10-Aug-18 08:34:09

* oven not over (damn auto correct lol)

JenniferEccles Fri 10-Aug-18 12:39:24

You are certainly not being unreasonable Witzend

As you said you have a right to expect appliances to be working properly without any hassle.

I would have a word with the holiday letting agent.

Having said that, as you are on holiday, shouldn't you really be eating out each evening otherwise it won't be a proper holiday for you will it?

Having a break from the endless planning and cooking meals is the main appeal of being on holiday for me!

rubytut Fri 10-Aug-18 13:11:22

Maybe the owners do not know how difficult it is to use as past visitors were like your husband. I would contact them now as they may be able to help.

harrigran Fri 10-Aug-18 13:30:14

The oven is so old the numbers have worn off the knobs ?
The property is oviously not maintained to a decent standard, if you don't complain they will think it is fine to allow guests to struggle.

annodomini Fri 10-Aug-18 13:45:25

'Use guesswork'? Definitely not on. Do get that email sent right away. They must not get away with that shoddy treatment.

glammanana Fri 10-Aug-18 13:48:29

Wizend Do holiday lets have to have safety certifcates issued every year to comply with regulations.?

granfromafar Fri 10-Aug-18 14:09:20

Witzend -send that email pronto or contact owner directly if you have the details.
Similar thing happening us recently in Whitby but luckily we had planned to eat out or get a takeaway most days. The owner was very helpful when I contacted her but they don't always give their contact details. We booked through Sykes Cottages which we have always found to be very good. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Grannyknot Fri 10-Aug-18 14:57:13

Unfortunately my experience of holiday cottages in England have often been that owners and agents have a very, um, shall we say relaxed view of what is good enough. E.g. we booked a cottage where the sea view pic shown on the website must have been taken standing on a chair with arms aloft (that is, there was no sea view), burnt-on pots and pans, uncomfortable beds; the list is long. And these were all pricey holidays.

I'd complain, but I don't think that it's necessary to justify the complaint by citing H&S. Expecting to find a fully working oven in an expensive cottage should be a basic requirement.

(Sykes don't care BTW, you'll get a stock reply).

M0nica Fri 10-Aug-18 15:09:38

We were on holiday last week in rented accommodation and realised the dish washer did not work. I spoke to the house keeper, with whom I had built up a good rapport, but when she havered I said firmly with a smile that it had to be fixed because we had caterers coming in one evening for a special meal, if not...... The repair man turned up the same day and fixed it. Wish he could have replaced the b****y AGA. It was baking hot last week and the kitchen was like a sauna because this wretched appliance, the only cooker, was pumping out heat all the time.

Melanieeastanglia Fri 10-Aug-18 18:25:36

I'd email the person who let the cottage to you but I don't know if I'd send a "stiff" email. Then I'd get on with enjoying my holiday.

Diana54 Fri 10-Aug-18 20:32:32

Holiday cottages can be a real home from home if you are careful and lucky, but they can be a nightmare. The worst we had was a quaint Lochside cottage in Scotland named the Ghillies Cottage, it was a 2 up 2 down hovel and I swear the Ghillie had died the week before.
Added to that free milk was included, strangely it didn't keep, we later found out the cow had mastitis!. We did tough it out for a week, enjoyed the challenge and had a good laugh about it afterwards.

Lyndiloo Sat 11-Aug-18 02:02:44

Niobe Agree with you completely - I'd be sending off that irate email too. (We don't complain enough!)

Regarding Trip Advisor a word of caution here. This is a site that everybody seems to like and trust. But my family stayed at an hotel in Wales a few years ago. It was awful!

(And we noticed, while we were there, that the owner was constantly on the computer, on the Trip Advisor site - in fact, we joked about it.)

When we got back home three of us (it was three families) posted our disappointment on the site, and one by one, our bad reviews were taken down. Just disappeared! My daughter contacted Trip Advisor to ask why. No response. She ended up writing a real paper-and-envelope letter (to USA). No reply.

Is Trip Advisor a truly unbiased site? Or is there something funny going on here? Makes you wonder ...?

Gma29 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:36:55

The owner/letting agent are obviously aware of the state of the cooker as they have told you to use “guesswork”. This is unacceptable, and not the same as coming across a deficiency or fault that may not have been obvious. In this case I would complain.

We don’t cater for ourselves on holiday, apart from breakfast & hot drinks, but many do, and you should be able to use any appliance listed as provided with ease and safety.