Gransnet forums

AIBU

1st class,Rights,Equalit y,& Discrimination?

(108 Posts)
PECS Sat 11-Aug-18 09:32:37

I think also that as individuals, groups, communities as well as the government we all have a responsibility to try to reduce inequality. EG In paying fair wages & ensuring good working conditions employers can do their bit.
All too often we inadvertently prop up inequality by looking for the cheapest option for ourselves, not wanting to pay more in taxes etc etc. I am not excluding myself..I think we are all part of the situation. If we are constantly seeing things from a perspective that is the 'best option for me' we are probably trampling on someone else's chance of a more equal life.

NanaandGrampy Sat 11-Aug-18 09:25:00

I think there is a danger in confusing equality with 'one size fits all' thereby taking choice and preference out of the equation.

I whole heartedly believe in equality - equality of opportunity, equality of rights etc. What I don't believe in is squeezing individuality out of everyone so we live a grey , all fitting in the boxes existence.

Im probably not explaining this well ( I haven't finished my first coffee of the day) , maybe Ill venture back when my grey cells are functioning !

maryeliza54 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:24:41

We should add disability to the list, sex - in fact the protected characteristics under the Equality Act. It’s linked up with basic human rights isn’t it?

BlueBelle Sat 11-Aug-18 09:14:12

If you choose to spend your money on the things OP lists isn’t that just it there are many who have no choices as they have no money to choose what to use it on so I agree there can never be true equality even in communist communities there are still those at the top who are not equal to others
But I totally agree with your last sentence Maw the main things that make life livable should definitely be equal and that’s the very best we can hope for

Anniebach Sat 11-Aug-18 09:06:14

Exactly so Maw.

MawBroon Sat 11-Aug-18 08:58:39

If it is purely a question of paying the price, I can see nothing wrong with getting what you pay for.
If you choose to spend your own money on the things OP lists, that is your choice. I don’t see that as discrimination.
However, inequality lies in denying you a fair return for your labour, thereby ruling out huge swathes of society, it lies in discrimination which denies you access to even “joining the queue” let alone affording the price when you get to the head of it.
Communist countries in the past claimed to abolish privilege, to flatten out the inequalities of education, dress, housing, travel, title (everyone was “comrade”) medical care, employment - the lot of it.
Look at Russia and China today.
Equality? hmm
To quote
“All are equal, but some are more equal than others”
Equality to me lies in establishing a level playing field where health, housing, education are accessible to all regardless of colour, creed , ethnic origin or finance.

Anniebach Sat 11-Aug-18 08:54:29

It doesn’t exist, never has, never will .

Bridgeit Sat 11-Aug-18 08:33:18

The terms Equality & Equal Rights got me thinking, that in reality there is no such thing .
They are very much misused terms rarely is anything Equal,
We all have the right to be treated without Discrimination, yet we still have
1st Class travel options
A choice of best seats at venues
Premier hotel rooms
Exclusive resorts
Private medical procedures etc etc
So what is true Equality ?