Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think they are asking for trouble?

(54 Posts)
nicky68 Tue 14-Aug-18 17:24:19

I am taken aback by the number of people who openly post on social media that they are about to go on holiday or are on holiday or what have you. Facebook perhaps is not so bad as long as your privacy settings are OK as presumably then only people you know will see it. But every day I see on Twitter and on Instagram when I go on it people telling the world and his wife that they are away and their house is lying empty. I don't think I am blowing this out of proportion. Only this week we had a letter from our insurance company warning people about this exact same thing.

Do you think that people forget that they are openly saying they are away from hom or that they are just naive at best? The letter from the insurance company said claims will be void if there is evidence on social media where you have told people you were elsewhere.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 14-Aug-18 17:26:36

No, you are not unreasonable. They could just as well stick a notice on the front door, saying "We're away, walk right in and take anything you want."

Elegran Tue 14-Aug-18 17:32:09

I think that whenever I see on gransnet that someone is about to go away. They may think that they are anonymous, but a determined thief could work out their address by adding together the details they have posted online, and know that they could break in without interruption.

Elegran Tue 14-Aug-18 17:36:40

Then you have people like one of my neighbours (not a close one!) who close all their blinds whenever they go away, to stop anyone looking into their windows. So a prospective burglar doesn't even need to look in, they can see from the corner of their eye while driving past that the house will be empty.

M0nica Tue 14-Aug-18 18:00:18

A good burglar alarm frightens burglars, unless they come with malice aforethought determined to steal the enormous stash of jewellry you have told everyone on GN about.

Most burglars are opportunist and seeking money for drugs. We have had 4 break-ins. The third one we had fitted an alarm system downstairs only. Unfortunately the burglar climbed a drain pipe and came in a bedroom window. However when he got downstairs he set the alarm off and scarpered empty handed.

We had one unsuccessful break-in within weeks of having a full alarm system installed. It went off and they ran off, but for the last 22 years we have been break-in free.

Billybob4491 Tue 14-Aug-18 18:07:47

Elegran, our neighbours keep their blinds down, windows closed all the time whether they are at home or not. All very odd.

Elegran Tue 14-Aug-18 18:51:13

There's nowt so queer as folk.

BlueBelle Tue 14-Aug-18 18:57:20

Solution .... don’t have anything worth stealing ???

Luckygirl Tue 14-Aug-18 19:00:57

That's my strategy!!

M0nica Tue 14-Aug-18 19:10:07

Bluebelle but a burglar will not know that until they have broken in and inspected the goods.

We have never lost anything of any cash value. I think the total claims over three break-ins, in current values is less than £1,000. It cost more to repair the windows than reimburse me for the losses.

Newmom101 Tue 14-Aug-18 19:57:02

I have so many family members who do this, they don't seem to understand at all. I recently went away and one posted publicly to me on Facebook 'enjoy your holiday' and couldn't understand why I deleted it! Told me I was being over cautious.

NanaMacGeek Tue 14-Aug-18 21:49:51

We were told that anything that provides uncertainty and gives a burglar pause for thought is worthwhile. Closing the curtains during the day could mean a shiftworker. Flickering shadows, music playing, lights on and off randomly will probably be enough to send a burglar next door instead (sorry neighbour).

Also, our DS lives in our house. If we are away, the house is not empty. But I agree, advertising that your home is unoccupied, is rather a silly thing to do.

grannyactivist Tue 14-Aug-18 22:16:44

There are so many people in and out of my house even when I'm not at home that Burglars Bill or Betty would get a bit of a shock if they thought my house was ever empty. grin

Tiggersuki Wed 15-Aug-18 09:23:38

Maybe those who post on social media should when burgled post again with a picture of their wrecked house about how clever they are!!
Have an alarm, use an automatic light switches in different rooms for different times. If there is such a thing as a random dog bark that can be set up maybe that's a way to go. smile

kazziecookie Wed 15-Aug-18 09:25:26

I was burgled and I had only gone to my friends house in the next street for a drink. They hadn’t quite finished when I got back so they abandoned some things. They had taken cushion covers that I had just made to fill with my belongings, which I was really upset about as I was quite proud of my efforts.
Another time I had all my ornaments taken off my bow window sill (hot evening so window was open) whilst I was in the house. Also my car taken off my drive destroying all my flower beds in the process.
So I am not sure knowing whether you are in or not stops them anyway.
These days they would be lucky to find anything worth pinching.

Jaycee5 Wed 15-Aug-18 09:35:43

There used to be warning about people travelling on public transport with their suitcases with luggage labels on showing their home address.
Telling the world on social media is just ridiculous. It is the reason that some celebrities have given for not agreeing to take selfies with people nowadays. They go online immediately and people know they are not at home.
People have no patience nowadays, they can easily wait until they return home.

Riverwalk Wed 15-Aug-18 09:42:11

Footballer John Terry was burgled after posting on social media about his holiday.

The gang used axes to break in and there was a housekeeper in residence!

inishowen Wed 15-Aug-18 09:42:21

I get worried when we carry our luggage to the car. We have a lot of traffic passing and I'm scared someone will realise we're going away.

Jane43 Wed 15-Aug-18 09:57:06

My husband pointed this out when a cousin of his was doing a tour of Scotland and posted on FaceBook every day saying where they were with pictures.

Juliet27 Wed 15-Aug-18 10:03:39

I think the solution is to leave the house so untidy after all the rushing around deciding what to pack for the holiday, that the burglar will think you've already been 'done' and leave!

Hm999 Wed 15-Aug-18 10:06:11

Phone-ins on national radio with ordinary folk entering a quiz = full name, area they live in, how long they will be away for. Why?
Ditto celebs being interviewed.

sandelf Wed 15-Aug-18 10:26:22

You're right. I tend to put details of where and when after the event. People who need to know are told in other ways. - Lots of friends also post lovely holiday pictures - but they do that on return home.

anitamp1 Wed 15-Aug-18 10:36:17

Amazes me too. I won't comment that we are going away. And I don't post photos till we are back.

NotSpaghetti Wed 15-Aug-18 10:42:15

I use instagram and post pics of my holiday and outings - but I do it when I'm back home.
Not everyone posts whilst away - though it does look like it.

GeorgieKay Wed 15-Aug-18 10:42:19

I totally agree with you. I never post anything until after the event. When I go away with friends, I make them promise not to tag me in anything. But so many of them post every detail about their holiday despite my warning. Hopefully, they won't learn the hard way !!