Gransnet forums

AIBU

Autumn

(82 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 28-Aug-18 09:01:21

AIBU to be looking forward to Autumn,? Beautiful colourful leaves, wellie boots, squelchy walks,fireworks , home baking OK perhaps not that one ( never turns out the way I envisage.)
Do you have a favourite season & what is the reason ?

Teetime Tue 28-Aug-18 09:04:37

Autumnal feel in the air here this morning and the heating came on. I enjoy Autumn especially golfing on a course turning red and gold and seeing the mazing fungi that come out under the trees. I like the pre Christmas planning and early shopping trips and making the cake etc. I do love Spring though and this year it was glorious. summer like this year was wonderful but I cant like anything about Winter.

Anniebach Tue 28-Aug-18 09:04:49

Spring, winter gone, Summer to come.

Bathsheba Tue 28-Aug-18 09:06:43

Spring! That's my out and out favourite time of year. The cold of winter is behind us (as well as all the stress of the C*******s season wink), and summer is just around the corner. Spring is a time I am filled with hope - for long sunny days, wearing short sleeves, sitting outside with a long, cold drink late into the evening, eating breakfast outside, long walks in the sunshine.
This year, for once, that hope was fulfilled a thousandfold!

Bathsheba Tue 28-Aug-18 09:07:12

X posts Annie - you think just like me!

mcem Tue 28-Aug-18 09:14:49

I find Autumn thoroughly depressing. Winter has to be tolerated.
Spring cheers me up.
Weather-wise I hope for another Summer like this one.
I missed so much of the Summer as I broke my leg, felt really restricted and missed much of what was going on in my garden.
Late in Spring I'll enjoy planting out and watching everything blossom so that's probably my favourite time of year.

Bellanonna Tue 28-Aug-18 09:15:28

Spring. Renewed hope. Buds on all the trees. Birds collecting nesting material. Seeing them pairing up. That lovely very early sunshine that is never going to be too hot. And most of all watching the days lengthen.

kittylester Tue 28-Aug-18 09:16:54

I love the changes that come with each season.

jenni123 Tue 28-Aug-18 09:25:34

I hate winter, while we had the heatwave and everyone was moaning it was too hot I loved it. Maybe that's from my 13 years living in Egypt. I feel myself getting 'down' and depressed when the dark nights draw in. Because of my disability I do not get out very often but I feel at least in summer I do have the chance to do so occasionally, but in winter I don't even want to try.

Cherrytree59 Tue 28-Aug-18 09:26:18

Spring.
Full of promise.
As are the wonderful Daffodils my favourite flower.
Autumn is spoiled for me as I know winter is just round the corner.
I dread the clocks going back and the dark nights soon to be dark afternoonssad.

I hate driving in the dark!

pollyperkins Tue 28-Aug-18 09:27:46

My favoyrite is speing, for the reasons mentioned. Second fave is autumn. Not so keen on winter!

pollyperkins Tue 28-Aug-18 09:28:51

Bother! Didn't proof read. Spring not speing. Favourite not whatever I wrote!

Bridgeit Tue 28-Aug-18 09:29:20

Ohh Cherrytree59, I also hate driving in the dark, being a shortish person ,on coming head lights always dazzle me even when dipped.

Flossieturner Tue 28-Aug-18 09:29:35

I love Autumn. Two years ago I had a complete garden make over which is now mainly Acers. It was lovely last year but still in its infancy. This year it has matured and filled out and I cannot wait. I have a photo of September and November but this year I need to capture October

B9exchange Tue 28-Aug-18 09:29:52

Spring for me too, everything fresh and new and thoughts of summer and holidays to come. I dread the Sunday when the clocks go back, hate it when the leaves die and fall off, and I hate the cold!

At least winter has celebrations to look forward to (and lot of birthdays!) with spring around the corner, but no, not autumn for me!

MawBroon Tue 28-Aug-18 09:31:19

I love autumn, the crisp clear sunny sort with crackling leaves to kick through. But I am less fond of soggy misty days and the consigning of the white linen trousers to the loft!
Somehow everything seemed to go with them and now I am at a bit of a loss as to what to wear until the frosts kick in.

Bridgeit Tue 28-Aug-18 09:33:59

Lovely pic Flossieturner, looks great

hopeful1 Tue 28-Aug-18 09:47:09

I love Autumn too... until I see a huge spider coming into the warm!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Aug-18 09:48:05

mcem, commiserate with you on your broken leg, I fractured my foot and ankle mid June and feel the summer passed me by!!!

I love all seasons for different reasons.

Summer for the warmth, long days and sitting/eating outside. My garden looking its best (hopefully if Husband has followed instructions!!)

Autumn for the colours, and the making of chutney and pickles, and of course baking the 'C' cake and puddings. Also the change in our diets to more comfort food.

Winter, I just love snuggling down in front of the blazing fire, decorating the house, selecting the real tree for the lounge. My GC are all old enough to know all about Father Christmas and spend a lot of time looking up my chimney.

Spring is always so full of promise of the long warm days to come, along with planning holidays etc. Thinking about planting pots etc.

I am just appreciative of each day and slowly learning to go with the flow and enjoy the here and now. As the years seem to go so quickly I have no idea what is round the corner so I am just enjoying life to the best of my ability.

inishowen Tue 28-Aug-18 09:48:24

I love every season. They all have their perks. I'm now looking forward to all the good dramas coming back to tv after the dross we had in the summer.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 28-Aug-18 09:53:02

'Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness' or something like that. There's a melancholy wistful quality to autumn which I don't dislike. The heat this summer was rather overpowering for me. Spring is full of hope for the future with lovely flowers.

Kirkys18 Tue 28-Aug-18 09:55:05

AIBU to dislike the use of AIBU in so many posts ?

David1968 Tue 28-Aug-18 09:57:30

I love Autumn! Used to be in teaching, so I was never able to enjoy autumn fully - now I can. September and October can be wonderful, golden months. (Not sure about November, though....)

sarahellenwhitney Tue 28-Aug-18 10:00:44

Not any more do I love autumn. Old age no doubt and given the choice and were it possible I would, when the leaves started to drop,hibernate after setting an alarm to wake me when the first snowdrops appeared.

Overthehills Tue 28-Aug-18 10:01:02

Lovely garden Flossie.
I love every season but did suffer a bit this summer. Like Maw I never know quite what to wear after summer and before autumn ...