Gransnet forums

AIBU

Holiday costs

(149 Posts)
lucygran Thu 30-Aug-18 12:03:24

My DD went on a holiday to Spain during the school holidays at the start of this month, and it was very expensive. It took her and SIL a while to save up for the family to go but they had no choice but pay this much really as they couldn't take the grandchildren out of school.

I have a friend going to not the same, but a similar resort in mid-September and it's ridiculous how much cheaper it is per person. Almost half the cost!

I understand it's out of 'peak' season but AIBU to think that parents are being treated unfairly and missing out because of the high costs? angry

Momof3 Fri 31-Aug-18 19:58:30

The children are back to school on the 4th September

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 19:32:33

GillT57
I've just looked up airbnb places to stay in Norfolk for 5-8 Sept incl. And the prices for a whole property sleeping 4-6 in 3 bedrooms and full facilties, per night for 4 adults is FAR below the £200 pn you paid.
Some can be had for £89pn. These are not just any old places but top quality on a par with Sykes Cottages.
I realise that you went this week but you can't input previous dates so I used Tues-Fri next week to compare.
There is no need to pay inflated sums.

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 19:18:31

You paint a vivid picture Elegran
I especially liked the parts about Roman soldiers and horses hooves bound with cloth to pass the excise men.
You certainly gave your children memorable childhood holidays, ones I feel they won't forget, as I shall always remember mine.

GillT57 Fri 31-Aug-18 19:12:39

Those on here who think that a holiday in the UK is cheap need to check their facts. We have just returned from 4 nights in a self catering place, in Norfolk. Cost over £800. Then we had to get there and feed ourselves. Not moaning, just pointing out that UK based holidays can be pricey, and even a day out can be beyond most people's pocket. Have a quick look online at the price of holiday cottages in Cornwall, Devon, Northumberland.....a lot of money to be spent before you start rootling in rock pools.

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 19:03:53

OldMeg
Moel Famau ( yes, I had to look it up grin)
We climbed it up the 'hard' way and down the 'easy' way. Mind you, we were only little-uns.
Some of the boys were not well off for clothes snd mum took needles and thread and grey wool plus a blue darning mushroom to mend their socks. I got pretty good at darning too, though I say it myself.
One of the boys wouldn't let me stroke his dog because he said I was too posh. I cried and asked mum not to change my clothes twice a day so I could pet the puppy.
Silly...the things you remember.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 31-Aug-18 18:29:45

janeyjane exactly .What a blessing not all parents are of the same view.Imagine the chaos. Think hmmhow does this affect the child ?and he /she may be just one out of a class but two weeks or even just the one week absence means that child is behind the rest and why should the education authorities hold back the rest of these classes for the sake of bringing just one child up to date with what the rest have learned in that specific time.

OldMeg Fri 31-Aug-18 18:24:08

That’s because primary education simply isn’t important!

Shizam Fri 31-Aug-18 18:19:44

I was one of those ‘bad’ parents that took them out of school for a week in January to go skiing when they were young. Quarter of the price. On,y way I could afford it. And doesn’t seem to have affected achievements, etc. Eldest got a 1st in economics. Youngest on course for similar in computer degree. This was before the days of fines. But reckon i would pay it and still take them, we still talk about those holidays. Not sure we’d be chatting about the week at primary school they missed. Didn’t do it when they were older though.

Happysexagenarian Fri 31-Aug-18 18:01:47

Daisyboots November is the run up to Christmas and so prices rise again angry

OldMeg Fri 31-Aug-18 16:48:13

Gsbriella I remember school residential holidays at Colomendy too! What was that mountain we all had to climb...was it Mol Fanau...or something like that?

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 16:41:52

Families can buy railcards which give 1/3 off your tickets. Rail companies often have cheap deals at Easter, Summer and half-terms.
I got my £30 railcard for 'free' by using Tesco clubcard points. Actually, TBH, I was £9 short in points value but the young man on the phone said he'd award me the points so I could use it this summer. A very generous gesture and I left great feedback.

M0nica Fri 31-Aug-18 16:35:10

Why do people have to go away on holiday anyway? All that is necessary for a family holiday is for all the family to book leave at the same time and a week together can be enjoyed at home just as much as going away.

For children just having their parents undivided attention for a week can be exciting There are ample things a family can do when they are all together, whether they live in a town or in the country. Many museums have free entry, there are parks and gardens. Just walking somewhere can be fascinating if you open your eyes and look around. How many children will have gone walking on footpaths round their village if they live in the country. August is prime blackberry picking season, (and wild apples and plums). My 2 GC are already talking about more Twilight Walks, when they come for half term. Going out just as it begins to get dark and coming back as the night closes in. Armed with torches we listen for owls and foxes and imagine ghosts and hobgoblins.

If the weather is awful, charity shops always have board games (probably a novelty) and jigsaws(ditto) that cost very little that can become a family activity.

It isn't necessary to go away to have a holiday. We've done it in the past.

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 16:32:14

Tennis is a cheap outdoor activity as is a cricket bat, ball, stumps and bails.
Kites are fun...I still fly one with GGC. Bikes can often be taken on trains. We go to the IoW via train.
Lots to do for little cost if you take a picnic.

PamelaJ1 Fri 31-Aug-18 16:29:22

Jocork, it wasn’t Caton bay that you went to was it?
After Grampies response I’m ashamed to say that we also went to one. I never gave that aspect of it a thought?

cavewoman Fri 31-Aug-18 16:24:02

I would like to say how lovely it is to go away when the children are back at school.
Relaxing on the beach or lunching in tavernas without the never ending screeching or whinging grin

Yes, I know I'm a miserable old bat but I've done my fair share of holidaying with my own DC and GC in school hols.
Swings and roundabouts.

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 16:20:03

caocao
That was really funny. gringrin

Happysexagenarian Fri 31-Aug-18 16:17:26

We live in a popular UK coastal holiday destination and every year from May to mid-Septemberwe see the cost of everything from food to fuel rocket because it's 'the visitor season'. But local people like ourselves are also hit by these rises. When talking to visitors they all say "It's beautiful here but everything's so expensive!" My DIL said a pack of butter in a high street supermarket (M*****sons) was a pound dearer than in her local store! That is just very unfair. The cost of renting holiday accommodation in this area is ridiculously high, so our C and GC can only visit us if they stay with us and even then we have to fund their (increased) travel costs or they couldn't afford to come in the school holidays, which of course is the only time they're allowed to come!

Why should schools be allowed to dictate to parents in this way!! I do think young children up to the age of 8 or 9 should be able to take one week family holiday during term time. It would hardly impact on their primary education and could in itself be educational.

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 15:32:41

Aepgirl
I use airbnb. Prices are same for single as couple.

Aepgirl Fri 31-Aug-18 14:41:48

Well said, Jane10. I'm fed up with people moaning about the cost of holidays during the school holiday period. My daughter is now over 40 and prices were always higher during school holidays when she was at school, so it is nothing new.

We singletons are 'ripped off' all year round when we want to book a single room but it's something we just have to put up with.

janeyjane Fri 31-Aug-18 14:17:31

I met someone the other day who is having a family holiday abroad & taking their children out of school in a couple of weeks. They are being "fined" £60 for it. This is cheaper than the difference of the holiday in holiday time.

Daisyboots Fri 31-Aug-18 14:16:18

Living abroad maybe I can see the other side of the coin. Most of the schools in Europe are on a long holiday break somewhere between mid June and mid September. Portuguese children for the whole of that time. Plus France virtually closes down for the month of August so it is a case of supply and demand. Hotels and flights are usually the most expensive in August because more people want those dates. Most hotels need to make most of their money in high summer to offset the losses they will have to make to keep the hotel open at other times. At our local beach there are only apartments no hotels and most of the cafes and shops are only open between June and September when they are busy enough to earn the money to survive the rest of the year. Add the many Portuguese emigrants returning home for their months holiday it is a very busy and lucrative time. People are not being ripped off for taking their holiday in August. It's the people who can go in other months who are getting a bargain.
On the other hand tell me this. We are coming to England twice in November due to parts of the family not revealing their plans. We are staying at a Premier Inn and the first trip of 5 nights is costing £174. 6 days later 9 nights at same Premier Inn is costing £472.50. It's November so no school holidays so it's obviously supply and demand.

Momof3 Fri 31-Aug-18 14:05:30

You have to have the money to buy it to begin with, and a car with a trailer or big enough with out a trailer

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 13:51:39

We children had those small I Spy books to keep us amused when travelling.
I remember dad being a really careful slow driver. One time, we heard something metal fall in the road. A policeman on a push bike overtook us and indicated that we should stop. When dad wound down the window he gingerly handed in the exhaust pipe, carefully wrapped in his handkerchief to keep his fingers clean.
After saluting my father and wishing us a good day, he pedalled off.

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 13:33:22

I and my brother were lucky in that my dad was a headmaster and we (together with mum) got to go on holiday with him to Colomendy, N Wales, to a camp site which catered for overseas and home schoolchildren of varying ages.
They were housed in wooden chalet dorms but each teacher had a separate family room at the front of each building. It was an exciting two weeks with long 'leat' walks and trips to an old-fashioned tuck shop, mushroom gathering at 5am (supervised) and evening songs round a campfire after supper, with a group of German older teens and their tutors.
We ate with my parents in the formal dining room (all starched cloths and napkins) but would have preferred to eat with the other children.
I can even remember cheeky Bobby Thomas who grew up to own a fruit importing company and sent my parents a crate of fruit every Christmas.
Great days.
We also rented holiday cottages in Betwys, Farndon and on Deeside where we messed about in boats and went for milk, butter and eggs to local farms. Those were the days...

Lancslass1 Fri 31-Aug-18 13:27:14

Jalimal108
Re your comment made at 12.40 mentioning that the same thing happens when a child returns from illness.
Indeed you are right
However parents are not keeping a sick child away from school by choice.
Foreign holidays are not necessary for a good education
I wonder if the children who are being taken out of school would rather not miss the work with which they are going have to catch up when they return to their lessons.