Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why is GN being used as a whipping post for Corbyn?

(112 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

OldMeg Tue 04-Sep-18 07:25:05

Has anyone counted the number of threads currently active which are purely Anti-Jeremy Corbyn?

This is NOT a thread about a thread, but about the principle of being allowed to use this forum in a way which is not, surely, acceptable.

Does anyone else agree that this is heading beyond free speech and political debate and diversity, and has now entered the realms of something else?

Perhaps GNHQ would like to address this query too?

Tongueli Thu 20-Sep-18 09:05:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

seomelon06 Wed 19-Sep-18 08:53:47

seomelon06 Wed 19-Sep-18 08:52:23

Anniebach Sun 16-Sep-18 11:21:46

I saw it Elegran

Elegran Sun 16-Sep-18 11:06:27

Oh, the post I was commenting on has gone, completely deleted, all trace of it gone not just deleted by Gransnet as against the rules. That makes my reply look rather odd. To clarify - it was to a spam post.

Anniebach Sun 16-Sep-18 10:08:36

Is that what it is, oooooh I am so against betting ?

Elegran Sun 16-Sep-18 10:06:26

But I bet you don't know that Gransnet doesn't allow spam posts, and doesn't allow betting sites to post.

lemongrove Sat 15-Sep-18 20:31:01

alchemilla what happened to your ‘mollis ‘ bit? Are you the same poster? smile

alchemilla Sat 15-Sep-18 17:52:47

Jalima the OPs original question was why GN was used to bash Corbyn and whether it went beyond MN guidelines and those regulating free speech.

As I understand (despite interesting and aggravating diversions) the point was made that May, Boris, Tories generally were being equally bashed if not on AIBU then on the politics thread.

I must admit I can't wait until the party political conference when we will be able to comment properly on what the various parties actually put forward.

Elegran Thu 06-Sep-18 18:23:05

There are many people who use Gransnet to spread their own particular philosophy. If admiring one politician more or less than another politician is "beyond free speech and political debate and diversity, and has now entered the realms of something else" then a lot of posters are well into "something else" - and not all of them have been dissing JC.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 14:52:29

think

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 14:52:14

Referring back to the OP, I thing that I had better not answer any more leading questions on the grounds that I could be accused of using GN as a platform for my own sinister reasons.

ps if you think that is daft, then no more so than the whole thread.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 14:13:17

I don't have links to hand, sorry, and have to go out shortly.

However, I don't remember the second half of the 20th century as being that wonderful for all. Some privately rented housing was extremely sub-standard and tenants were frightened that they would be 'put out on the street'. The NHS didn't have such demands on it and in some cases was not that wonderful in our experience.

Strikes resulted in filthy streets, bodies left unburied, inconvenience to the general public on a daily basis. The Winter of Discontent resulted in the election of Margaret Thatcher.

People struggled on poor wages. We often had beggars knocking on our door looking for food too.
These 'golden eras' did not really exist.

Yes, things do need to improve and I hope they will when Labour comes to its senses, realises it should look to the future not the past and elects the right leader to take them forward.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 14:02:43

There is plenty of evidence that homelessness and poverty are on the increase.
So surely that is why we need a change of government which so many feel will not be possible with the present leadership and backroom boys?

Anniebach Thu 06-Sep-18 13:59:44

trisher, if I was a Tory I would say so, or wrote for the Daily Mail, as recently said. I am firmly in the centre left of the Labour Party.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 13:59:38

Probably your memory is clouded by your present position
I'm not quite sure what you mean , trisher

trisher Thu 06-Sep-18 13:53:37

Jalima1108 if you can post a link about that I woud be pleased to see it. There is plenty of evidence that homelessness and poverty are on the increase. Probably your memory is clouded by your present position. (I didn't say it was wonderful-just better)
Annie if the cap fits wear it.
I am not a communist, if I was I would be honest enough to say so and post things to support my beliefs.
Support from other posters does not indicate a lack f bias, quite the reverse.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Sep-18 12:56:18

Just jumping in to please remind everyone to refrain from personal remarks and personal attacks. We have explained why we allow various political threads on a particular topic - Brexit, as an example, is a huge topic that has many discussion points that can't be covered by one thread alone.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 12:52:44

You remember that in the dim distant past when we had proper services, no beggars on the streets and poor schoolchildren were properly fed.
I think that could be looking at the past through rose-tinted spectacles; it was not that wonderful as far as I remember.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 12:50:42

Unfortunately trisher, I think that many people are frightened of what they see as the far left of the party and have memories of Hatton, Militant Tendency, strikes etc.
They do want better services but see Corbyn as quite incompetent and being controlled by others from behind the scenes.

They want to see a modern Labour Party which is fit for the future, not one which looks to the past.

I hope that is clear.

Anniebach Thu 06-Sep-18 12:50:06

I have no hidden agenda, have been honest and open, hence this thread.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 12:46:44

Well I have no doubt that some have a hidden agenda
I think the agenda of some of us is not hidden and is perfectly clear.

We want to see a more moderate, centre left, Labour party win the next General Election under a competent and intelligent leader.

Anniebach Thu 06-Sep-18 11:56:13

Centre left Blairites , and I would call closet Tories.

Really? So it is no longer an insult to call far left Corbynites closet communists . That’s cleared that up.

Thank you to all who posted without bias

trisher Thu 06-Sep-18 11:36:52

Elegran why do I think there is so much character assassination of Corbyn (because you can't call it criticism-that requires reasonable nd logical argument). Well I have no doubt that some have a hidden agenda and are Tories, others are what they describe as centre-left Blairites, and I would call closet Tories. They are for some reason frightened of left wing politicians, in spite of the fact that none of today's politicians are as far left as a Labour government once was. You remember thatin the dim distant past when we had proper services, no beggars on the streets and poor schoolchildren were properly fed.

OldMeg Thu 06-Sep-18 08:02:49

Goodness me, what a lot of nasty posts. I did say early on that I thought I might be over-thinking this. Very early on.

Now I’m accused of being a ‘bully’

I get the message ladies. But perhaps you ought to examine your own posts too. Good bye.