Gransnet forums

AIBU

Restaurants

(62 Posts)
PoshSpice Sun 30-Sep-18 22:59:36

AIBU to think that SIL ordering food for a 18 mth old baby off a restaurant menu (a £9 pasta dish) that baby then doesn’t eat any of is not on and a complete waste of money? hmm Then allows grandad to pick up the tab for everyone? angry

4allweknow Mon 01-Oct-18 13:04:06

Did the Mum ask if they did a half portion if no children's menu. Does seem annoying to just order a course for an 18month in the hope it will be eaten. Does the Mum do this if out without someone else paying? If so money obviously doesn't mean anything to her.

dogsmother Mon 01-Oct-18 13:03:06

Depends on the child.
My second was born at 11 lb and by 18 month# ate more than a 4 year old! He really was off the scale but did settle eventually, he is now 6’4” and went through a big stage but I had a job holding him back from his appetite it was immense ?

paddyann Mon 01-Oct-18 12:42:48

mine never had jar food ,always ate what we did and were happy to eat in restaurants apart from one day whenmy son refused the macaroni cheese as he said it was tinned,he was absolutely right.The waitress was at pains to tell us it was tinned but it was Heinz .As if that was a reason to eat it .

mabon1 Mon 01-Oct-18 12:38:00

Not your money, so not your business but it is a waste.

grannytotwins Mon 01-Oct-18 12:32:57

As my DGC are twins I used to order one meal and two plates. Sometimes they would wolf down the food and other times hardly touch it. Toddlers are so unpredictable even when it’s something they love. I’d just forget the money spent on uneaten food. It’s annoying, but typical toddler life.

DotMH1901 Mon 01-Oct-18 11:32:42

We didn't eat out with my children until they were in the top end of Junior School - simply didn't have the money until then. With my DGC I have taken them into cafes and restaurants (on my own quite often) from them being babies and, until they were old enough to eat the kind of food served, would take a home made meal with me that was suitable for them to have. Not once was I asked to order something from the menu for them, in fact I was frequently asked if I needed a spare plate/cup etc for them. I have also ordered just for me and shared a meal with them (if I only had one GC with me at the time). As they grew older I would order extras from the sides menu if needed - there is often a really good choice. A fully priced adult meal is not necessary - but perhaps your s-i-l was a bit flustered and didn't know what to order for the best?

vickya Mon 01-Oct-18 11:27:55

2 year old grandson is a bad eater but eats everything apparently at the childminder, like Beau's grandchild. Last time we ordered a child meal for him, which was a quarter chicken, and I had a child meal too, roast pork, a very generous portion, adult is usually too much for me, and dad had an adult meal and was still hungry. Daughter had brought a few things in little tubs and grandson played with those, peanut butter sandwich, bite of banana etc. Ate not one mouthful of his meal and I had some of his chicken and dad had most. No waste smile. And they treated me and paid for an Uber for me back to my car! It was pouring and too far for me to walk again. I wasn't able to pay for the Uber as you need an ap. My first Uber! They are very nice. Friendly driver.

DIL17 Mon 01-Oct-18 11:24:00

It's down to the parents really.

I would only take out baby/toddler food with us if we were just popping out to the park or shopping. For a meal out with family, then from the age of 1, I ordered DD something from the childrens menu or a small starter.

We would always eat the same meals at home and wanted to extend this to eating out.

For the sake of harmony, I'd have just paid the bill and moved on.

quizqueen Mon 01-Oct-18 10:51:04

We very often eat at the Toby Carvery and the main course meal for young children is always free and very wholesome- lots of choices of veg and a huge Yorkshire pudding which keeps the toddler quiet for ages!

Coconut Mon 01-Oct-18 10:45:27

Talking of waste .... I witnessed a family being served food by a waiter, and the child then said “ I don’t want this now” so the father said” leave it then and order something else” .... speechless !

harrigran Mon 01-Oct-18 10:09:59

DIL used to carry a bag with small plastic bowls and toddler spoons, one bowl of pasta would be ordered between two children and mother gave them small portions. GD2 by the age of one could manage an adult pasta which left me struggling.
GD1 has always felt too grown up for the childrens menu so we keep an eye on what she is ordering, anything over seasoned will see the entire meal left.

Nannan2 Mon 01-Oct-18 09:58:01

I would have picked a place more child friendly with an actual child menu.grin

Nannan2 Mon 01-Oct-18 09:55:49

My grandaughter(and one of my grandsons too till recently)are allergic to dairy&soya so have to take their own lunchbox wherever they go.usually thats fine nowhere has complained yet.

jenpax Mon 01-Oct-18 09:53:17

If the place doesn’t do a children’s menu,I always try asking for a starter size in the food they like from the adult menu,and that’s usually successful and much cheaper

Caro57 Mon 01-Oct-18 09:52:36

Next time suggest she gets to sample a little of everyone’s that way you don’t pay for her and she gets to experience different foods

Nannan2 Mon 01-Oct-18 09:52:15

Hmm.maybe it was a bit over top pricewise?couldnt they have taken their own toddlerfood?theres some really nice 'posher' & organic ones these days& most places will warm your own baby/toddler food.or took child a lunchbox&just told restaraunt its "because of allergies"-(my grandaughter actually DOES have allergies,but am sure a little white lie on your occasion would be fine?)

ajanela Mon 01-Oct-18 09:50:51

I wonder if they would have ordered it if they had been paying,

GillT57 Mon 01-Oct-18 09:50:13

When our children were young we used to given them a side plate with lots of little bits and pieces off of our plates. Gave them choice and variety and avoided the children's menus which are usually a grim choice of sausages or chicken nuggets with chips.

granjan Mon 01-Oct-18 09:45:03

I agree, a complete waste of money. I would be upset too.
Not many children of that age will eat an adult size portion of anything- there always some that will of course.
Not very many restaurants seem to offer a children’s menu, to be honest I have a very small appetite, and would happily buy anything off the children’s menu it would suit me fine!

moobox Mon 01-Oct-18 09:42:29

Par for the course these days I’m afraid. My lot will order 2 lots of chicken nuggets and chips for 2 kids who will barely lick a chip never mind eat one

TillyWhiz Mon 01-Oct-18 09:41:41

As Granny, I always ordered something the GC could share with me.

MaggieMay69 Mon 01-Oct-18 09:34:39

Lol even with my 9 year old grandaughter, we still ask for a plate because she eats like a bird, my other grandddaughter however, would have probably polished off that pasta at 12 months, and then been after me chips!
I wouldn't worry, if you had a good time, don't let £9 sour an evening, and if it did, then perhaps make sure and split the bill next time.
I'm broke but I'd happily pay £90 for pasta just to spend some time with my family, but they all live too far. xx
I do get why you were annoyed though. xx

Beau Mon 01-Oct-18 09:11:06

We always just take a baby plate and give DGS some of ours as he has a tiny appetite, unfortunately preferring to drink pints of milk ?
When he used to eat a bit more we ordered from the children's menu a couple of times but it was 90% wasted.
He mostly eats olives and garlic bread at the moment when we go out to eat - maybe a couple of spoonfuls of lasagne if we're lucky, no chips, no ice cream - he's very well behaved though, mostly ?
Of course, at nursery he eats curry, naan bread, sausage rolls, birthday cake, sandwiches, sweet and sour chicken, ice cream - basically anything ?
So no, you are NBU imo ?

sodapop Mon 01-Oct-18 08:30:08

Yes I would have asked for an extra plate and shared. Toddlers can be unpredictable though sometimes eating sometimes not.
Maybe next time you could offer to share PoshSpice to prevent wastage.

M0nica Mon 01-Oct-18 08:27:46

Didn't they have a children's menu? At 18 months old we would have ordered food for the child and, I confess, as a family of gannets, both DC and DGC would have hoovered it up at that age, but we would have ordered from the children's menu.