Gransnet forums

AIBU

Restaurants

(61 Posts)
glammanana Mon 01-Oct-18 08:18:08

Whilst I would be happy to pay the cost of the meal I would be very cross at the waste of the food and for the parents not to have asked for a small plate for the child they would surely know the needs of their child.
I would have taken a jar of food along with us as back up and ask it to be warmed through if needed.

BlueBelle Mon 01-Oct-18 07:52:09

I d have asked for a doggy bag at that price
That’s ridiculous but the problem is if nothing is said and you just pay up she won’t realise how silly it is most pasta dishes are full of sauces and bits and pieces and not at all suitable fir a baby
Most restaurants I go in would just give you a small plate of plain pasta if asked, better still to have taken her own or ask for a small plate and give her some chips which is what she had anyway

mumofmadboys Mon 01-Oct-18 07:50:20

As a mum I would have asked for a second plate and given the toddler some of my meal. But let it go Poshspice and don't waste time and enjoy feeling annoyed.

Diana54 Mon 01-Oct-18 07:43:57

Mummy had chips but tried to get the child to eat pasta, that's cruelty!

Seriously, at 18 mths its difficult, if it is a main meal for the child sharing is difficult, taking your own is hassle, most restaurants do child friendly meals, around here they charge £4.50 or so but some have kids eat free.

Posh restaurants are not child friendly ( whatever they say ) but if you ask nicely they will do a simple special for the child.

SueDonim Mon 01-Oct-18 00:08:07

My Dd ordered scrambled eggs on toast for her 9mo baby recently. The baby polished off the lot and ate some of our meal, too!

It's sometimes hard to tell whether or not children will eat when you go out. I agree that waste is annoying but assuming this isn't a regular event, I wouldn't think any more about it.

Marthjolly1 Mon 01-Oct-18 00:02:32

Yes I would be grieved too. Why Doesn't baby share mummy's lunch if mummy didn't bring baby food with her. Isn't that the norm?

Grammaretto Mon 01-Oct-18 00:00:13

Ouch! I thought it bad enough when we treated my brother 's family at a pricy restaurant abroad and he insisted on letting his 6yr old order an adult portion. Of course he didn't eat it. We still had to pay - grrr.
You are NBU but you should let it go and refrain from bringing it up until next timewink

PoshSpice Sun 30-Sep-18 23:41:34

No, definitely all fine with solids. Too many distractions around the restaurant to eat and too many of mummy’s chips to be interested in the pasta!

muffinthemoo Sun 30-Sep-18 23:18:46

My toddlers would have eaten what they could of a pasta dish at 18 months, they loved pasta. Is the baby struggling with solids? What would they normally eat when they go out?

MissAdventure Sun 30-Sep-18 23:17:32

It would grieve me, I have to say.
I can't stand waste, so I'd probably go off somewhere private and have a little weep!

PoshSpice Sun 30-Sep-18 22:59:36

AIBU to think that SIL ordering food for a 18 mth old baby off a restaurant menu (a £9 pasta dish) that baby then doesn’t eat any of is not on and a complete waste of money? hmm Then allows grandad to pick up the tab for everyone? angry