Gransnet forums

AIBU

Breaking news - Mansize Tissues

(102 Posts)
Bridgeit Thu 18-Oct-18 18:53:01

Just that, Mansize tissues will be no more??
Political correctness has just hit an all time low.
It is now getting beyond ridiculous.
New name :Extra Large

crystaltipps Thu 18-Oct-18 18:59:20

Not ridiculous. Would you buy “woman sized “tissues? No. Just don’t buy Kleenex and buy Aldi own brand and save money. It’s the 21st century in case you hadn’t noticed.

Bridgeit Thu 18-Oct-18 19:15:34

Only if they were big enough, but I don’t mind any size it’s the thickness that counts!

Bridgeit Thu 18-Oct-18 19:17:26

What has the 21st century got to do with anything other than ,that this patheticness is an insult to men & woman who have fought for our freedom, shameful

crystaltipps Thu 18-Oct-18 19:20:26

Have men and women fought for our freedom to have man sized tissues? Must have missed that one.

crystaltipps Thu 18-Oct-18 19:21:50

If you don’t mind any size why does it matter what they are called?

Cherrytree59 Thu 18-Oct-18 19:22:37

If they had quietly changed from man size to large would anybody have noticed?

I prefer pocket size. Atchoo?

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 20:13:15

I saw it on the news and people (men and women) were having a bit of a giggle about it.

I asked DH if he needed a man-sized tissue because his nose is bigger than my nose, but apparently that's up for discussion.

Bridgeit it is rather pathetic.

NfkDumpling Thu 18-Oct-18 20:18:43

I admit it. I have a big nose and use man size tissue. Kitchen roll and toilet roll work well. Those little woman size ones just aren’t big enough for me so I’m fine with large tissues instead of man sized it makes me feel I’m not stealing his.

I bet though that there’ll only be medium and large size and no small size tissues.

Grandma70s Thu 18-Oct-18 20:22:31

I always found the description ‘man-size’ quite silly and funny, but it never struck me they should change it. I suppose they should. I’ve always used them anyway, because they are just a more sensible size than standard ones.

sodapop Thu 18-Oct-18 20:23:41

Is there a group who go round the country looking for things to be offended by ? I can't believe this is even newsworthy and here we are discussing it.

Willow500 Thu 18-Oct-18 20:29:04

Barmy - or do they do extra large balmy grin

crystaltipps Thu 18-Oct-18 20:50:50

It’s not about being offended it’s about being logical. Why have mansized tissues? No reason. What’s wrong with extra large? You are being offended about a tissue being renamed “extra large”, so if you don’t like it don’t buy it. Simples.

MeltingMacaron Thu 18-Oct-18 20:57:46

Should we be worried that tissues are man-made?

crystaltipps Thu 18-Oct-18 21:03:15

I expect some women were involved in making them.

Romychoc Fri 19-Oct-18 11:36:12

Have a look at 'Man who has it all' on Facebook and Twitter. The parody account of switching the words man and woman shows how much we take for granted in everyday life.

JenniferEccles Fri 19-Oct-18 12:28:45

Where is it all going to end?

Just when I think I have read the most idiotic case of political correctness, along comes another one even dafter.

I honestly wonder just how many people there are who spend a lot of their time searching for something, anything, to be offended by.

Bridgeit Fri 19-Oct-18 12:55:25

Now being discussed on Loose Women (Ohhps sorry loose people)

JackyB Fri 19-Oct-18 13:17:27

It is obviously a trade descriptions violation. Surely the tissues aren't the same size as a man!

travelsafar Fri 19-Oct-18 13:19:51

I think it was a play on the fact that men have man flu when actually all it is is a cold!!!! smile

suzied Fri 19-Oct-18 13:30:49

Strange that the smaller ones weren't called "woman sized" and the little pocket ones "child sized". I think if people are offended by the bigger ones being renamed "Extra large" then they've got too much time on their hands.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Oct-18 13:47:23

What will Gentlemens Relish be called now?

EllanVannin Fri 19-Oct-18 14:00:42

Children's fairytales are now suffering ! Have folk got nothing else better to do than to twist and manipulate how we are " made " to view these innocent and harmless stories of old ?
In Sleeping Beauty where the prince kisses to awaken the sleeping girl-----is now looked on as an invasion and against her will !! Cinderella marrying a prince doesn't bode well either as it's looked upon her being reliant on her husband's income instead of her living independently !!
It's this sort of nonsense that has and will further create paranoia/confusion among many. No wonder we've got so many with mental health issues.

lemongrove Fri 19-Oct-18 14:07:52

Perhaps we should no longer have ‘jumbo’ sized anything in case it offends Nelly the elephant? grin

Remember the tongue in cheek Yorkie ad ‘it’s not for girls!’

grannyticktock Fri 19-Oct-18 16:02:11

I'm sure it's all their do with marketing. Perhaps men didn't use or buy tissues as much at one time, so they started marketing them as Man Sized and using manly-coloured packaging; and now that this is well established, they realise that many women also like a large tissue when they have a cold, so they've rebranded them to widen the appeal of the larger packs.

Funny how it's never happened with toilet rolls - they missed a trick there. We could have had double toilet-roll holders, with His and Hers rolls, possibly colour coded. But too late now!