Gransnet forums

AIBU

Spitting feathers

(60 Posts)
tanith Fri 02-Nov-18 14:12:46

I’m so mad? had a small prang in my car this morning not my fault a silly man pulled into the side of me on a roundabout, he apologised and we exchanged details, that’s not what I’m mad about though.
Rang my insurers and made the claim on my policy which is up for renewal in 2 days, so while on the phone I said might as well accept the new quote and while we’re at it please remove my late husband from the policy, BIG MISTAKE, apparently because I no longer have a spouse on my policy the premium is recalculated and it’s gonna cost an extra £80! Oh my can’t believe but the girl said it doesn’t seem right but that’s what all insurance companies do. I told her I’d be looking elsewhere. ???

Hilltopgran Fri 02-Nov-18 14:20:32

I would be cross as well. How can one driver instead of two increase a premium!

EllanVannin Fri 02-Nov-18 14:22:44

That's all the thanks you get now for being truthful !
Life doesn't work like that any more.

chelseababy Fri 02-Nov-18 14:24:20

Adding another driver often reduces the premium.

Maggiemaybe Fri 02-Nov-18 14:29:28

It does, and sometimes it makes no sense. We found that even adding someone who's got a bad driving record can reduce the premium. confused

Charleygirl5 Fri 02-Nov-18 14:42:15

I added a driver and my premium increased by about £80- cannot win.

MeltingMacaron Fri 02-Nov-18 14:49:37

I experienced the same when my husband died.

The assumption (I think) is that if you estimate that the annual mileage will be say 10,000, then two drivers will do 5000 each. One may be a better driver than the other and that will effectively halve the risk of a claim.

I was advised, by the insurance company to nominate someone, anyone who agrees to it and is perceived to be a good risk, to be the second driver even though they may never use the car.

I've had a randomly nominated friend on my policy ever since. Each year when I renew, and it's been the same when I have changed insurers, all they ask is whether the named person has made any claims. In all these years, no-one has asked me how we share the mileage.

It's a silly rule and yet another example of how single people are militated against.

Bellanonna Fri 02-Nov-18 14:56:03

Tanith how ridiculous that is. I do hope you change insurers and get someone to agree to be (nominally) a second driver. I had no idea it worked like that. Sorry, too, about the prang. It’s a lot of hassle.

Nonnie Fri 02-Nov-18 15:07:37

Yes, DS added us to his insurance to reduce his premium

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Nov-18 15:13:10

DD added me to her policy which brought the cost down - that's understandable as she was quite young and I was an experienced driver with a no claims discount.

However, I cannot understand the reasoning behind yours going up in price tanith.

notanan2 Fri 02-Nov-18 16:42:11

DHs insurance was CHEAPER with me on it too. So I was insured on a second car that I never drove (I drove my own car) to save money.

I don't understand the logic, but it was the case for us too!

notanan2 Fri 02-Nov-18 16:43:27

Maybe the assumption is that a couple who share a car will take turns and not let one driver get too tired on longer journeys?? I can't think what else it could be??

Granny23 Fri 02-Nov-18 16:54:49

When I changed our car insurance (because DH had been forced to return his licence) to make me the sole rather than 2nd named driver, the premium went DOWN by £65. I asked why and was told it was because I am 7 years younger than DH, putting me in a different age bracket.

MamaCaz Fri 02-Nov-18 17:04:48

My late dad found that adding me or my brother to his policy as second drivers reduced the premium, even though we both lived well over a hundred miles away from him. Crazy!

bikergran Fri 02-Nov-18 17:09:15

When I had my scooter (2 wheeled one not mobility) smile

my insurance was £40 higher because I had to put I was a widow, out of curiosity I tried it and left it as I was Married and it went back down!

Also was higher when I didnt have a job.

I really dont understand the way insurances work(apart from them trying to wriggle out of everything) and thats goes for house insurance/car insurance in fact anything.

Patsy70 Fri 02-Nov-18 18:01:15

I really don't understand insurance, either, but as my sister's husband has recently passed away, I think she will come up against this problem. I will pass on your comments re adding a second driver to the policy. Thank you, and I hope you find a cheaper option Tanith.

tanith Fri 02-Nov-18 19:18:09

Thanks everyone I did go to compare the market and put all my details in and guess what the top recommendation was the same company and it was only a few quid cheaper than my quote so now I’m a bit confused.com ???

tanith Fri 02-Nov-18 19:18:59

Sorry I forgot that would post a link seriously I didn’t mean to.

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Nov-18 19:20:03

grin dare we follow the link?

Telly Fri 02-Nov-18 19:57:53

I know years ago when tried to take my husband off my policy as he didn't drive my car, it also meant that the premiums would go up. Needless to say I left it alone.

Purpledaffodil Sat 03-Nov-18 20:59:47

Tanith it’s worth phoning the company and telling them about their online quote. I did that with Saga and they matched it. Of course you may be too cross with them to remain. ?

GeorgieKay Sat 03-Nov-18 21:14:42

Insurance is a nightmare !! I was horrified to find out my premium went up once I retired !! I, foolishly, expected it to go down as I was driving less - silly me !!

Loopey Sat 03-Nov-18 21:48:24

If there is only one driver the risk is all with you and that is what insurance is about the risk factor.
If you do a quote online you get an internet discount.
If you retire or are unemployed theoretically you have more time to be out and about driving.

Theoddbird Sat 03-Nov-18 21:52:47

Mine went up when I discovered and wanted husband taking off of policy. The woman just leave him on. I decided against this.

Pat1949 Sat 03-Nov-18 21:56:47

I had no points on my licence my hubby had 3, my premium was nearly £100 cheaper with him on as a named driver. Ridiculous.