Gransnet forums

AIBU

Another new fad

(134 Posts)
pensionpat Sat 17-Nov-18 08:02:08

One which I really hate is the fashion for a “cake smash” at a very young child’s birthday party. A real cake, large and beautiful, is put on the floor, and the birthday child literally smashes it with their hands until it it completely demolished, inedible and they are covered in it. The child would have to be encouraged by adults and the whole thing is probably filmed as an amusing video on Facebook or YouTube.

Even worse, I have seen adverts for cake smash clothing.

Words fail me. Wrong on every level.

Marydoll Sat 17-Nov-18 08:03:50

I agree, what a waste!

maryeliza54 Sat 17-Nov-18 08:05:45

I haven’t heard of this at all thank goodness and with dgc of 4 and 8 there are at least 2 birthday parties a month. How absolutely dreadful - do you think it might be specific to your part of the country or am I living in a bubble?

Grandma70s Sat 17-Nov-18 08:07:01

Never heard of it, but it sounds appalling. How many wrong values does that teach?

harrigran Sat 17-Nov-18 08:42:43

I have seen adverts for photographers who will provide this service for your baby's first birthday, not something I would want to encourage a child to do.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Nov-18 08:54:46

You can put all the pics on Facebook once your little man/princess has smashed their cake. hmm

sodapop Sat 17-Nov-18 09:04:09

I haven't heard of this either. What exactly does that teach our children and what does it say about the parents who allow it.
Not happening with any little man/princess in my family MissA I hate that too.

craftergran Sat 17-Nov-18 09:10:08

Good grief, we have people going to food banks and others encouraging their young to smash up a birthday cake, thinking it is funny.

Would be better if they taught their young that some can't afford such luxuries and took them to the food bank to donate it.

ninathenana Sat 17-Nov-18 09:15:45

It's not specific to a region. I've read it in magazines and seen FB pics.
I agree a total waste of good food and a bad example.

EllanVannin Sat 17-Nov-18 09:16:48

Disgraceful if you ask me. How are children expected to learn good manners when this sort of carry-on is allowed ? If anyone did that to a lovingly baked cake of mine----------

ninathenana Sat 17-Nov-18 09:17:43

PS what is salvagable does get eaten

Buffybee Sat 17-Nov-18 09:22:39

Never heard of this, thank goodness!

annsixty Sat 17-Nov-18 09:30:41

How awful, I have never heard of this thank goodness .
My GC are past the age of lots of parties now but my AC would certainly feel my wrath if they indulged in such bad behaviour.

Buffybee Sat 17-Nov-18 09:38:27

Have you ever seen anything as horrible as the look on this "Mothers" face. Poor little baby!

maryeliza54 Sat 17-Nov-18 09:43:41

I see it’s generally 1st birthdays - still awful

Welshwife Sat 17-Nov-18 10:16:49

Often the children are wearing few clothes and sitting on bare floors too.

GillT57 Sat 17-Nov-18 10:24:58

I don't usually get all affronted by things which do not affect me, but this really annoys me. I have seen photos on FB and just cannot grasp what it is all about other than the 2 minutes of fame. To put it bluntly and to quote my grandmother, it is vulgar and common.

FlexibleFriend Sat 17-Nov-18 12:54:07

It's been around for years and it's just a waste of cake in my opinion.

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Nov-18 13:27:39

I would agree with your grandmother GillT57

I have a lovely picture of one of my DD with birthday cake all over her face and hands - not from cake smashing but from trying to eat a slice all at once (she was only 2, she doesn't even like cake now!).
At least my DD had the right idea - birthday cake is meant to be eaten and shared with friends and family.

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Nov-18 13:28:49

Whatever is wrong with blowing out candles and putting germs all over the cake?

SueDonim Sat 17-Nov-18 14:35:43

I think it's pretty awful, too. What a waste.

There's also a trend of spoiling your wedding dress, I believe it's called trash the dress. The bride dons her dress and basically makes it unwearable by covering it in mud or otherwise trashing it. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trash_the_dress

Again, what a waste. It's environmentally bad and it sends a poor message. If you don't want to keep your dress, then sell it, or donate it to a charity shop. There's even a charity which accepts wedding dresses to use the material to make beautiful gowns for babies who have tragically passed way.

Kittye Sat 17-Nov-18 14:59:48

Never heard of this! But I'm not surprised at anything nowadays

Kittye Sat 17-Nov-18 15:00:44

Jalima indeed ! ?

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Nov-18 15:06:35

Say thank you and discreetly leave the top icing Kittye!

Kittye Sat 17-Nov-18 16:58:55

Jalima Don't think I'll be eating birthday cake again , icing or no icing . I'd never thought about the candle blowing before ?