Gransnet forums

AIBU

Another new fad

(134 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 17-Nov-18 09:15:45

It's not specific to a region. I've read it in magazines and seen FB pics.
I agree a total waste of good food and a bad example.

craftergran Sat 17-Nov-18 09:10:08

Good grief, we have people going to food banks and others encouraging their young to smash up a birthday cake, thinking it is funny.

Would be better if they taught their young that some can't afford such luxuries and took them to the food bank to donate it.

sodapop Sat 17-Nov-18 09:04:09

I haven't heard of this either. What exactly does that teach our children and what does it say about the parents who allow it.
Not happening with any little man/princess in my family MissA I hate that too.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Nov-18 08:54:46

You can put all the pics on Facebook once your little man/princess has smashed their cake. hmm

harrigran Sat 17-Nov-18 08:42:43

I have seen adverts for photographers who will provide this service for your baby's first birthday, not something I would want to encourage a child to do.

Grandma70s Sat 17-Nov-18 08:07:01

Never heard of it, but it sounds appalling. How many wrong values does that teach?

maryeliza54 Sat 17-Nov-18 08:05:45

I haven’t heard of this at all thank goodness and with dgc of 4 and 8 there are at least 2 birthday parties a month. How absolutely dreadful - do you think it might be specific to your part of the country or am I living in a bubble?

Marydoll Sat 17-Nov-18 08:03:50

I agree, what a waste!

pensionpat Sat 17-Nov-18 08:02:08

One which I really hate is the fashion for a “cake smash” at a very young child’s birthday party. A real cake, large and beautiful, is put on the floor, and the birthday child literally smashes it with their hands until it it completely demolished, inedible and they are covered in it. The child would have to be encouraged by adults and the whole thing is probably filmed as an amusing video on Facebook or YouTube.

Even worse, I have seen adverts for cake smash clothing.

Words fail me. Wrong on every level.