Gransnet forums

AIBU

Know it All's

(102 Posts)
Struggling2do1 Sun 18-Nov-18 22:03:04

It drives me crazy. Those people who have been there, done it and know all there is to know. How do you deal with them? Regardless of the subject matter they always have an opinion, if it differs from the majority then everyone else is wrong but they are right. They care not a jot for your opinion. So should how do you deal with this type of person?

Grammaretto Sun 18-Nov-18 22:12:04

I know someone like that and I walk away because, as you say, there is no point in trying to have a rational discussion.
The sad thing is that family and friends are all aware. It's a type of personality disorder.

annep Sun 18-Nov-18 22:21:42

Annoying. hard to avoid if its a family nember.

Baggs Mon 19-Nov-18 06:10:40

Roll your eyes ? and walk away. Have some sympathy if it's down to something like Asperger Syndrome.

Oldwoman70 Mon 19-Nov-18 07:18:55

My stock response is "Well I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong"

lemongrove Mon 19-Nov-18 08:09:53

Hi Struggling grin Yes there’s always one, both in RL and on GN who seem to glory in being the one dissenting voice among a hundred.
Probably best to accept it and order another gin.

Grandma70s Mon 19-Nov-18 08:15:37

On the other hand, people without opinions are really boring too.

Anja Mon 19-Nov-18 08:33:46

You Should Have Asked Me ‘usband by Pam Ayres

You meant someone like this?

sodapop Mon 19-Nov-18 08:39:27

But that one voice may have a point Lemongrove

I agree Grandma70 Nothing like a frank exchange of views is there

MawBroon Mon 19-Nov-18 09:28:11

BIL is one of those.
If he is visiting me I usually go and busy myself in the kitchen and leave him to pontificate to the rest of the company.
If out, I have been known to resort to extended loo visits (I wonder if anybody noticed?) grin

Lynne59 Mon 19-Nov-18 09:30:35

I'd rather have a discussion with someone who is opinionated than with someone who has no opinions at all. I know when to walk away though.

Nonnie Mon 19-Nov-18 09:37:45

There is a middle line somewhere which I think we probably all like to tread.

I like to listen to someone who is knowledgeable about something I don't know enough about but I don't think the OP means that sort of person.

I find it difficult when, at the end of a talk, someone asks a question which is not really a question just an excuse to show off their own knowledge or even an attempt to put the speaker down.

Struggling2do1 Mon 19-Nov-18 09:45:55

I like nothing more than a good debate, but I find that those who feel that their opinion is the only one that matters and the correct one difficult to tolerate. In order to have a good debate you need the ability to see things from different points of view and dare I say it accept that perhaps your view is at odds or even wrong! Yes Lemon very evident on GN! A double gin required me thinks.

Bellasnana Mon 19-Nov-18 10:10:03

Anja, thanks for the Pam Ayres link. Made me grin

Grammaretto Mon 19-Nov-18 10:10:22

Anja thanks for sharing Pam. I listened and smiled.
Same old issues to argue about. They never change much do they.
I hope I don't bore people as I am usually right!
What annoys me are the moaners on social media who blame someone else for all the ills in society but do nothing themselves.

Theoddbird Mon 19-Nov-18 10:37:41

Oldwoman70 has the best answer...hahaha...must remember that one grin

Houseseller Mon 19-Nov-18 10:37:57

My ex was like that, if I asked if he knew about something he always said he knew. I started changing it around by asking what he knew about something. Surprise, suprise, most of the time he didn’t, he only knew if I gave him the answer first.

bluebirdwsm Mon 19-Nov-18 10:38:03

I know someone who is always right. No discussion. Everyone else is stupid.
Any attempts at reasonable discussion just ends with their anger flaring and snapping.

I've had to walk away as these personalities cannot be reasoned with, are superior and mocking, full of blame for others. They know better than anyone.

And yes, on the odd occasion they may be open to advice it is never acted on [but dismissed as rubbish I suspect]...so their situation/attitude doesn't change. But know best...….

newgran2019 Mon 19-Nov-18 10:41:45

This is very interesting, as I have a friend whose husband is one of these people, and when staying with us once he was so unbearable that we haven't seen them since. I feel guilty about it, as I've known my friend since we were 18 and don't want to 'dump' her, but I can't deal with him! We also have nothing in common any more, though, and struggle to find topics of conversation that will interest them without setting him off on a harangue.

littleflo Mon 19-Nov-18 10:42:22

I think the very subtle Micky take is the way to go.
“Oh my goodness that’s a really interesting standpoint. I find that fascinating.What exactly led you to that conclusion “

“Wow, so many places to have visited, you must be the envy of everyone you know”

I once worked for a developer selling luxury flats. There were some really snobby people, looking over the flats with disdain. The sitting rooms were huge and one woman said, “oh such a pity they have not made this room large enough for my furniture.Why do you think it is so small”. She then went on to describe her furniture in the greatest detail

I just said, “Goodness how wonderful, I could fit the whole of my house into this living room”

Her husband looked embarrassed and hurried her away.

bluebirdwsm Mon 19-Nov-18 10:43:46

I've also seen the fury when the other person has information or knowledge that the know-it-all hasn't. It would be comical if is wasn't so tragic.

I've also seem them make out they have knowledge of a subject when they don't, fudging the answer just so they can feel superior to the other person. They must feel inadequate, that's all I can put it down to.

sue01 Mon 19-Nov-18 10:43:55

Invite them round for Supper. I like people like that.

There are more than enough dullards and drears .

Those are the ones I avoid !

JanaNana Mon 19-Nov-18 10:47:06

I would say and have done," we,lle just have to agree to differ then, it takes all sorts to make a world", and then either change the subject or move away from them if you can. It has the effect of taking the wind out of their sails.

ditzyme Mon 19-Nov-18 10:50:21

Oh we probably all know someone like that, but maybe we are also like that to a degree? Why hold strong opinions if you don't believe yourself to be right? Don't we all like to think we are right, but we should also respect the other person who also thinks they are right. I had one friend who pontificated all the time, knew it all etc., and one day I just told her she was a pompous prig and we laughed about it. Didn't stop her though so you sometimes just have to close your ears, if the person is important to you. Another friends husband, who was always right, visited when we had builders installing an Aga, and of course he knew how it should be done and it wasn't how they were doing it, and he proceeded to give them his opinions as to how they should be doing it. I might add he had nothing to do with the building trade at all. On the plus side, if we were all bland and hadn't a thought in our heads, let alone opinions, what a boring world it would be. Who would you shout at if not Boris Johnson and his ilk on the television?

Terri823 Mon 19-Nov-18 10:52:16

Thanks Anja for a good laugh