Gransnet forums

AIBU

Kick a Ginger day

(126 Posts)
Greenfinch Tue 20-Nov-18 17:41:07

I was absolutely appalled when my 11 year old DGD came home from school saying that children had been going round kicking anyone with ginger hair in school today. One boy was too scared to come to school and another had a panic attack in a lesson. Apparently it is a recognised day ,yet another import from America and one more example of the evils of the internet .I think teachers and parents need to be more aware so that it can be banned next year as a date has already been set .I feel powerless but feel sorry for all ginger haired children tonight. Some will be going to bed very unhappy. All so unnecessary and perverse

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:43:12

That's dreadful.
DGD's little best friend has bright red hair, hope that their school was not aware of this nastiness. DGD would be trying to defend her friend too.

Where's Prince Harry when you need him?

Smileless2012 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:45:46

shockwell heads would have rolled at that school, from the 'head' down if my child or GC had been kicked for having ginger hair Greenfinch.

I don't want to be offensive but are you sure this right? I just can't believe it, that any school or anywhere would advocate such a thing.

MissAdventure Tue 20-Nov-18 17:49:52

I can't believe a school would arrange such a day, either.

Greenfinch Tue 20-Nov-18 17:50:24

I don't think the school would necessarily know.Bullying is often underhand.
You can read about it online. Something to do with the show South Park

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:51:32

It is a day in the USA and Canada, apparently, originating with Southpart or whatever that is.

I think it's something that needs to stay on that side of the Atlantic.
or can we change it to kicking men with blond bouffant hair?

Greenfinch Tue 20-Nov-18 17:52:10

It comes purely from the Internet and is no way promoted by the school.You are misunderstanding me.

Lynne59 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:52:25

It is a recognised day? Recognised by whom?!

If I'd got a ginger kid in my family, I'd be up at that school wanting names of the little morons who had been kicking them.

An idiotic idea, in which only idiotic children participate in.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:53:52

How awful, in this part of the country there is a “kiss a ginger day”, equally distasteful.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:54:51

Me too, as the mother of a DC who was auburn, is now blonde.

Smileless2012 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:57:22

OK, apologies for the confusion Greenfinch but surely the school would have seen what was going on? Were they not aware that ginger haired children were being kicked and did no one ask why a child had a panic attack?

EllanVannin Tue 20-Nov-18 17:59:11

What an horrendous thing to do. Is it any wonder that children have got mental health problems when this sort of thing is allowed ?
There certainly are a lot of feral children around. If the child had been mine I'd have been up at the school post-haste. I'm quite paranoid when it comes to bullying of any sort as it stays with the child for a long time.

oldbatty Tue 20-Nov-18 18:00:28

Stupid people.

Grandma70s Tue 20-Nov-18 18:04:23

Teasing people about their red hair is quite an old tradition in some circles, though, isn't it? Anne of Green Gables is teased about her hair in the book. I could never understand it when I was a child, because red hair always seemed very beautiful and glamorous to me. Think of Moira Shearer.

I think this special day sounds horrendous and should definitely be banned by schools, though I know it is impossible to stop some malicious people. It’s like xenophobia or racism - turning against a minority. The people who thought it up.must have very unpleasant personalities.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:07:05

I hope that the bullies are found and called out for their behaviour.

Jane10 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:07:18

Shockingly awful. What a nasty culture in that school.
I was once very taken aback when a colleague was annoyed that a visiting student had used her mug. She complained - 'And he was a ginger too'. I didnt understand what she was on about at the time. Now I understand it! She should have known better. Much better!

trisher Tue 20-Nov-18 18:10:22

Greenfinch of course it isn't acceptable but please don't imagine it has been as terrible as your imagination is making it. There may have been some altercations, but I'm sure they will have been dealt with. Use this as an opportunity to discuss these things with your GS. Ask how he would feel if there was a Kick the....... (whatever colour his hair is) Day. Then talk to him about things spread by the Internet and how they aren't always good. Try to get him to work out how ginger boys would have felt. And be pleased that he is still open and honest with you so that you know exactly what is going on.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:10:42

Kicking someone with red hair is nasty bullying.

However, blonde jokes can get very wearisome and I should apologise for mine in my first post.

Lollin Tue 20-Nov-18 18:20:54

After seeing on the news about the stupid pathetic individual filming the police being beaten up and I should once again be shocked. In fact i am shocked and sickened to hear about this. What a sad sad world. Depressing.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:26:29

Sorry - my second post.

Cherrytree59 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:45:02

Just recently schools had an odd sock day to promote anti bullying.

I felt quite sick reading this and like you greenfinch I am appalled and sad.

Iam64 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:45:30

Prince Harry has done a lot to redress the balance in terms of bullying and name calling of Gingers. My mum was from a long line of gingers. I married a ginger but the gene skipped my mother's children, even my children despite them having gingers coming at that from all sides. However, we are now blessed with a delicious ginger grandson, aged 3. He is a classic ging, with true ginger hair, the very pale skin and pale eye lashes. He's also a gentle soul and I'd hate to see him having to deal with being bullied because of the colour of his skin. this would probably be called 'banter' by those who call any attempt to set better behaviour generally "political correctness gone mad"

Marydoll Tue 20-Nov-18 19:06:52

As a ginger and the mother of a ginger, I am appalled!
I cannot understand why the school didn't nip this in the bud. There is no way they would not be aware that this is happening. In my experience, there is always a pupil or parent who will raise awareness of this type of bullying.
Anyway, what is wrong with being auburn, NOT ginger. I hate that term. angry

varian Tue 20-Nov-18 19:10:56

I was a ginger when I didn't have to resort to the Nice n Easy like I do now, and I do remember being called names in school. That was in Scotland which probably has the highest ginger population in the world. Why???

Greenfinch Tue 20-Nov-18 19:15:45

Very true trisher.My GD was very upset by the whole thing especially as her best friend is ginger and also because her twin is autistic and she knows all about bullying.She is a kind soul but not strong enough to denounce such behaviour as she is only in year 7.She will do her bit though.