Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be astonished by how many people lie about speeding?

(70 Posts)
sarahcyn Thu 20-Dec-18 12:55:52

I'm thinking of the Labour MP who has been caught lying repeatedly to avoid a few points on her licence. She was going at all of 41mph in a 30mph area - not exactly Speedy Gonzales - but it seems she may have been texting at the same time...to her landscape gardener, no less.
I don't know why she didn't just fess up but the fact she lied so promptly AND is a solicitor suggests she knew, professionally, that she could get away with it.
Not long ago David Beckham was caught trying to wriggle out of a speeding ticket even though he can afford a chauffeur for a bit. And then of course there is the notorious Chris Huhne affair of a few years back.
That people in the public eye think they can get away with these lies suggest to me that LOTS of people do it and it's practically "a thing". Is this correct? Does anyone here have friends/relatives who've lied about who was behind the wheel - or even done it themselves?

Anja Thu 20-Dec-18 13:02:45

Oh I know at least two men who’ve had their wives take their penalty points. It’s very common.

Elrel Thu 20-Dec-18 13:03:55

Why am I ever surprised that an MP is caught lying?

Iam64 Thu 20-Dec-18 13:04:39

It is definitely 'a Thing' . I'm amazed that an MP would do this, especially one with a background as a solicitor, she'd know the Courts take a very dim view and prison is almost certain to follow.
Look at Chris Hulme and Vicky ? prison for them. Our prisons are full to bursting, This Labour MP doesn't pose a threat to society so my usual response would be a community sentence. However, she's in a position of trust, lied then lied again in Court. Prison for sure.

M0nica Fri 21-Dec-18 08:33:22

When it comes to the penalty, while I agree it seems ridiculous to send people to prison for something like this but the circumstances should always be taken into account and for a solicitor and MP to do this, and the egregious way she did it. I understand she had no points on her licenc, is utterly beyond the pale and I think she should serve time for what she did.

From what I have read in the papers she comes from a family who consider the rule of law is only there for their convenience and can be ignored if it doesn't suit their purposes

Luckygirl Fri 21-Dec-18 08:36:57

There is an overall over-casual attitude to speeding. It makes me very angry. I spent a large chunk of my life dealing with the aftermath of this.

glammanana Fri 21-Dec-18 08:43:51

Where are all these people speeding to ?? they must have very important jobs to get to.
Every morning my OH takes our DD to work at 7.30am and he says the amount of cars that over take him at speed are unbelievable only for him to arrive behind them at traffic lights !!

Teetime Fri 21-Dec-18 08:53:05

DH is incandescent at friends of his who complain about being 'done' for speeding when they do it all the time - its a fair cop.

PamelaJ1 Fri 21-Dec-18 09:08:04

My DH has just been on the naughty step. 33 in a 30 zone.
Be aware there is no leeway these days.
His first points in a life time of driving but he was at fault. He paid the price. So should anyone.
However I must admit it IS hard to keep to the limit when you are in a very very long village and we have 2 round here.
Never see any one on the pavements, straight road, soo easy just to creep up slightly. I spend a lot of time glancing down at the speedometer. Is that safe? I do try to do 28 to give me some room for manoeuvre.

Maggiemaybe Fri 21-Dec-18 09:36:25

The latest figures from ROSPA show that a pedestrian who is hit by a car travelling at between 30 mph and 40 mph is between 3.5 and 5.5 times more likely to be killed than if hit by a car travelling at below 30 mph.

Yet members of our local Facebook group routinely post warnings to others if they spot a police speed check in operation, as if it’s all some sort of fun game. All that matters to some people is escaping points on their licence.

When your life, or that of someone you love, has been turned upside down by a speeding driver, you tend to think differently.

Grammaretto Fri 21-Dec-18 09:55:14

PamelaJ1 I know that feeling.
I became 70, got my first photo licence and got caught on a new speed camera doing 40 in a 30 at midnight on an empty road all in the same week.
Hey ho, I guess I have gone over the speed limit but never been caught before.
The standard £100 fine, 3 pnts on the licence and doubling the insurance premium for at least 3 years have been a hard lesson but why would anyone lie about it?

When the satnav is on there's a bell when you go over the speed limit. I wish you could activate this when driving. Perhaps you can?

Does anyone remember Con MP Gerald Nabarro? He with the moustachios and big daimler? He said his secretary was driving round a roundabout the wrong way, years before these latest scandals.

sarahcyn Fri 21-Dec-18 09:59:27

Grammaretto he was one of the last great mustachio-ed cads and bounders.

GabriellaG54 Fri 21-Dec-18 10:10:51

I was asked by an AC as the points would take them over the 12 and their job entailed a lot of driving every day. I said "NO". I would never shield anyone from any fallout due to their actions.

PECS Fri 21-Dec-18 10:12:24

I am sure it happens all the time across all strata of society. If you are in the public domain/ position of trust you are extra stupid ..yes stupid.. to do so as you have further to fall and the ripples go further. None of us is perfect but some of us have less distance to fall & our tale will not sell copy!

mischief Fri 21-Dec-18 10:15:03

I'm just astonished that you are surprised that MPs lie. I thought that was a prerequisite.

winterwhite Fri 21-Dec-18 10:26:52

Fully agree with those deploring the casual attitude to speeding. I've often noticed when interviewing people for jobs that they cheerfully reply to the standard question about offences, 'Only speeding!' as though this somehow enhances them. And I think women do this more than men.

sunseeker Fri 21-Dec-18 10:27:06

We all make excuses if we are caught speeding (in my case I was coming downhill out of a 40 mph limit into a 30 mph limit) BUT it was my responsibility to ensure that I slowed down to the correct speed. I chose to go on a speed awareness course and learned so much. I daily see people breaking the speed limit and have even been tailgated by impatient drivers when I am driving at the limit. There is a 20 mph through my village but no-one sticks to it. Speeding seems to be an acceptable thing to do

Hollydoilly10 Fri 21-Dec-18 10:35:43

Just shows how stupid their wives are.

TwiceAsNice Fri 21-Dec-18 10:36:45

I got done for speeding 38 miles in a 30 limit on an unfamiliar road which changed from 40 to 30 and I missed seeing the sign for the change. I thought 38 I what I thought was still 40 was good! Went on a speed awareness course and it was very interesting . Still paid a hefty fee for doing so of course. Am extra careful now and I too am fed up of being tail gated whenkeeping to the speed limit

4allweknow Fri 21-Dec-18 10:43:10

Maggiemaybe The folk who inform others of speed checks are committing an offence just the same as those who flash headlights to others as a warning.

annodomini Fri 21-Dec-18 10:45:17

It would be interesting to know if the speed awareness courses for offenders really do any good. I've been on two. And I'm not proud of it. I remember a few facts, most of which I learnt the first time. I think I am being very careful now, but just occasionally find that the speedometer has crept higher than it should. I wonder what others think of the courses they've been on. Were they useful or a waste of time?

4allweknow Fri 21-Dec-18 10:50:57

Anyone remember Christine and her husband ? Hamilton and the saga of who was driving when caught speeding. Seemed to go on for months- it was him, it was her, they just couldn't remember!! Everytime on the roads see so many important people having to hurry to their important events in their important lives and of course usually meet them again at the next roundabout or traffic lights. The standard of driving has also deteriorated, mustn't be behind anyone so have to cut in at last minute, no warning. And don't get me started on those who think everyone should stop to let them join carriageway from sliproad. They make me fume.

Legs55 Fri 21-Dec-18 10:54:45

I took the Speed Awareness course on a voluntary basis a few years ago, Somerset police ran it & you could go just to check on your driving awareness (not as a punishment). It was very interesting & I did learn some things, amazing what you forget 40 years after passing your test. I do my best to stick to the speed limit but I will admit to speeding on a Motorway usually because the rest of the traffic is going above 70 mphthlblush

Crazycatwoman Fri 21-Dec-18 11:05:49

As a point of information, David Beckham was issued with a penalty notice beyond the prescribed time and his lawyer duly pointed out that, as he should have been notified within the legal limit, he could not legally be charged. Wouldn't most people take advantage of a lawyer who knows his stuff if they had the wherewithal? It was hardly the same thing as Chris Huhne "persuading" his wife to take the blame for his offence.

mumofmadboys Fri 21-Dec-18 11:06:20

My sons were taught to drive in 3 rd gear in 30 zones. It works well to keep your speed down. Do it myself now.