Gransnet forums

AIBU

House rules

(88 Posts)
Su66 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:09:59

Hi everyone
Just wanted to rant and perhaps get your opinion. I have a large townhouse that has a bathroom on the top floor and a toilet/washroom on the ground floor. AIBU to ask that guests use the downstairs toilet and not the bathroom on the top floor.

PamelaJ1 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:19:52

Are these guests that are staying overnight?

Anja Wed 26-Dec-18 22:29:16

As a guest I’d expect to be able to shower.

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:31:09

I would clean both.

Jomarie Wed 26-Dec-18 22:31:39

Not at all - your house, your rules not unreasonable in any way imho

Cherrytree59 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:32:47

I suppose it depends on who your guests are.
If it is a family member or close friend and the toilet downstairs is otherwise engaged then I would be quite happy for them to use the upstairs loo.

However if on the other hand it was casual visitor (not acquainted with) or workman,
I would point out the downstairs facilities and not mention the upstair toilets/ bathrooms.

My little grandsons take turns in using upstairs loo and downstairs loo.tchsmile

Anja Wed 26-Dec-18 22:41:13

Su66 I assumed by house guests you meant staying overnight,otherwise they ate just visitors and can use the downstairs facilities.

H1954 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:41:32

Ok, so, during the day when you'd expect people to be downstairs I would hope the guests would use the downstairs loo; if it were during the night or they needed to shower etc then the upstairs would surely be the more convenient option. You don't actually say if these guests are staying over but if they're not then why would you want people traipsing up and down stairs to merely use the loo? Looking at this from another perspective, if I were a day visitor I'd expect to use the downstairs facilities unless told otherwise. Young children do love to explore though.

Bellanonna Wed 26-Dec-18 23:02:54

This is a townhouse so daytime visitors would still be going down and then back upstairs. If there are overnight guests then I imagine the bedrooms and bathroom would be on the top floor together. OP must be talking about day visitors.

Su66 Wed 26-Dec-18 23:48:27

Thank you so much for your comments. I do feel better about saying something now. To be honest it is just one person. No this is not on an overnight stay. I just feel they are being nosey. Not even our grandchildren go "up top" for the loo ?

Cold Thu 27-Dec-18 00:27:52

I think it depends on how many people are visiting and what the queue for the toilet is like. I would not expect my guests to be uncomfortable waiting for the downstairs toilet when there is an empty one upstairs

Su66 Thu 27-Dec-18 00:59:57

Yes I would say the same COLD but that is never the case. Never experienced a queue here for the toilet.

wildswan16 Thu 27-Dec-18 04:40:05

My only hesitation in asking someone to use the downstairs loo is whether they possibly had any medical issues which meant they preferred a little more privacy. I had a relative who for medical reasons took a little more time than normal and was always concerned she was "holding up" the queue.

Katyj Thu 27-Dec-18 05:20:17

I have this problem Sue.I have an ensuite bathroom on the top floor, and a ground floor bathroom One visitor in particular always insists on going upstairs because it's warmer ! Infuriating, we also had friends around recently that knew the set up of our house and asked to use the upstairs bathroom, because the other bathroom was engaged, I know if I had been in their house I would just have waited.

BlueBelle Thu 27-Dec-18 05:27:59

Does it really matter ?

Katyj Thu 27-Dec-18 06:02:33

It depends what your like Bluebell.I have three bathrooms, if they were all used by guests, they'd all have to be cleaned when they left, which is a lot of work.I know I'm probably too fussy, I wish I wasn't, but can't see me changing now.

Febmummaofaboy Thu 27-Dec-18 06:16:37

I always go upstairs when I visit my parents if I need a poo! Maybe your guest isn't nosey and just doesn't want you to hear them or smell out the downstairs!

Davidhs Thu 27-Dec-18 06:36:59

My observation is, given the choice men will use the downstairs loo, women will use the nicer, warmer, men free upstairs loo, no rules it's what happens.

BlueBelle Thu 27-Dec-18 06:55:25

Well I guess I m too laid back then Katyj! I ve absolutely no problem if anyone wants to use my upstairs or downstairs loo I just think I m dammed lucky to have one let alone two
Of course I clean my loos but I certainly don’t give them a deep clean after every use whoever uses them All my family and friends are clean people

Su66 Thu 27-Dec-18 09:26:59

Yes it does matter to me which is why I posted in the first place. Just wanted to know what others thought and I have found the comments interesting and helpful in my decision to put my foot down firmer. Katyj I would definitely ban anyone from using en suite that’s far too personal. There is no medical problem with the said guest and they are not in the least bit shy. As far as a queue is concerned can’t remember anyone ever busting to use the toilet that much. Quicker in our house to stay downstairs and wait. Thank you all again. Wishing you all a happy new year x

Katyj Thu 27-Dec-18 09:43:55

Yes it does feel personal sue as they obviously have to go into the bedroom.The relative that does this is nosey ! they used to use the excuse that they wanted you get weighed until I bought them their own bathroom scales. This Christmas they asked first which bathroom to use, so maybe they've got the message.

Su66 Thu 27-Dec-18 09:47:22

mmmmm. Exactly

GrandmaMoira Thu 27-Dec-18 09:48:18

I think it only polite that visitors use the downstairs loo generally (not overnight guests). I have a toilet in the bathroom and a separate toilet. I prefer everyone to use the separate toilet so the bathroom is free for showering etc.
Katyj - I would not let anyone use an ensuite.

Katyj Thu 27-Dec-18 09:52:40

The trouble is, the ensuite is a spare bedroom with not much in there,but it is next to my bedroom, and I think it's too tempting not to take a peek.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 27-Dec-18 14:58:10

Have you considered locking your bedroom door? I personally don't mind people looking into my bedroom, although I would snoop in someone else's house.