Gransnet forums

AIBU

Alternative Christmas day ..what would you like to do different

(61 Posts)
bikergran Thu 27-Dec-18 09:00:24

my stepson and his wife decided to do something diff on Christmas day.

They set off on a 6 mile hike complete with dog and special goody bag Christmas picnic. The weather plays a big part and Ive not heard how it went as yet but they just said a lovely stress free day.

Anyone else done and "Alternative Christmas day" or would you think about doing one next year ?

Grannyknot Thu 27-Dec-18 09:30:05

bikergran good for them, that sounds brilliant.

I still miss the "alternative Christmas days" from my life in South Africa, which would often be to go for a swim in the ocean in the morning, followed by a barbecue on a beach somewhere, or at someone's home. Low key, low impact, low stress.

bikergran Thu 27-Dec-18 09:34:29

ohhh sounds good Granny although I did enjoy my Christmas day with family..(not sure if my 83 yrs old mum ndad would appreciate a 6 mile hike )lol

I was once talking to two ladies whilst on holiday in Wales and they had their Christmas lunch Im sure they said up The Great Orme (A well know tourist attraction with lovely views over the sea) or somewhere like that.

lemongrove Thu 27-Dec-18 09:49:59

Not sure about this as the great British weather could be doing anything at Christmas!
On reflection I can’t think of anything nicer than Christmas Day with my family, there aren’t huge numbers of us so I never feel stressed about it.

stella1949 Thu 27-Dec-18 09:54:20

I never feel stressed about it. We're in Australia - it's lovely and warm here at the moment. We had a barbecue dinner at my daughter's place on Christmas Eve with all our side of the family - 9 of us. We all slept overnight and had a simple breakfast while the children opened their gifts. Then we went home, and DH and I had a simple lunch of leftovers while we watched old movies.

Humbertbear Thu 27-Dec-18 09:55:03

We usually go away to a rented cottage by the sea. This year we stayed home as my mother is increasingly frail. I really miss being away and walking on the prom.

minxie Thu 27-Dec-18 10:27:20

I would love to spend a Xmas on my own, as an alternative. It would be bliss as I’m not a lover of Xmas. I can hear visitors arriving and the kid is already crying

b1zzle Thu 27-Dec-18 10:38:04

Please be careful what you wish for, minxie. I've just spent my first Christmas on my own in 70 years and howled at the loneliness of it.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Dec-18 10:43:27

I do not care where in the world I am or what I do as long as I have my family with me.

Oldwoman70 Thu 27-Dec-18 10:44:32

b1zzle You have my sympathies - I have been alone for 8 years now. I usually have a cry first thing, then I remember the good times we had and how DH would not have wanted me to be unhappy. Someone once said to me that the pain doesn't go away, you just learn to carry it better. flowers

henetha Thu 27-Dec-18 10:47:38

Sit on top of a large rock near Dartmoor and eat sandwiches. I did this once (with someone I loved) and it was magical.

chicken Thu 27-Dec-18 10:54:32

I spent Christmas day on my own by choice--sent OH off to full-on celebrations with DD and family, then had a simple but lovely lunch , listened to the repeat of the nine lessons and carols from King's, then read a good book by the warm fire in beautiful solitude. It was bliss and what I've always hankered after.

EllanVannin Thu 27-Dec-18 11:02:36

I don't mind my own company at all and for the last couple of years it's been my choice to be alone. The family aren't put out in any way as they also do their own thing and I would hate to think they'd feel obliged to have to entertain me, dashing what plans they had in mind.

As long as my fridge/freezer is packed to the gunnels I'm happy.

Annaram1 Thu 27-Dec-18 11:03:07

My lovely son invited me to his family for Christmas Day and also for Boxing Day dinner. I had a great time.

If I had to be lonely as some are, I would probably go to my local pub which is open on Christmas Day, and have a lovely meal there by their open fire. I drove past it on my way to my son's house and noticed that the car park was absolutely full.

I go to church and have got to know several widows there so I might invite one or more to join me if they are likely to be alone too.

Everyone, enjoy the Christmas season!!! God bless us , everyone.

evianers Thu 27-Dec-18 11:03:08

Grannyknot
We too used to have wonderfully sunny, warm days in Cape Town or Durbs-by-the-Sea - those were the days. Miss the hot Christmases there and in Oz, although it was always very amusing to receive cards from the Northern Hemisphere dotted with snow.....

Margs Thu 27-Dec-18 11:09:30

Standing by Lake Windermere just taking in the calm of the water and the solitary ducks sailing past silently. It's about as far as you can get from the forced Christmas "jollity"!

PECS Thu 27-Dec-18 11:13:13

I think I would quite like to have Christmas Brunch and Christmas Supper..and miss the lunch out!

sal49 Thu 27-Dec-18 11:18:20

That's a lovely idea Annaram1.....many people do not choose to be alone but have it forced upon them by circumstances...somehow that makes the aloneness worse!!
For many years I spent Christmas surrounded by friends and family and, to my shame, never gave a thought to those on their own....now I have joined them I wish so much that I had understood and done something to make life better for those struggling on without their loved ones.....doesn't have to be just at Christmas either.....let's all try harder to make life better for others in 2019....please!

Maggiemaybe Thu 27-Dec-18 11:18:53

Nothing. I love a traditional Christmas and that’s just what we have.

Legs55 Thu 27-Dec-18 11:19:44

I have had family Christmas as a child, working Christmases in my teens (waitressing), Christmas Dinner in a Hotel with my in-laws. Hosted family Christmas both as a young Mum & later as a single Mum. Big family Christmases with my beloved (3rd) DH, DD & Step-C, their OHs & my Parents. Boxing Day also included DH's ex & her DH & DF + MiL.

Gradually Christmas Day has become a smaller affair, I'm widowed now but spend day with DD, her OH & DGSs. My DM spends Christmas Day alone (she lives 300 miles from us all) as she no longer feels up to the travelling at almost 90.

The only type of Christmas Day I haven't had is on my own, DD wouldn't allow that but it doesn't worry me as long as I've got lots of scrummy food thlsmile

optimist Thu 27-Dec-18 11:24:03

Well, I have had the busy busy family Christmas days when the children were young. I now have to see my children separately as there is conflict between them, but that's fine. And I have had one Christmas day on my own when all my family made their own arrangements. what I would say is that I just can't bear doing the same thing every year.

Hm999 Thu 27-Dec-18 11:33:25

At family get-together on Boxing Day, son was concerned he didn't know I spent 25th alone. I loved it. As a carer, I really appreciated being in charge of the remote, not having to eat at a certain time, eating what I wanted etc. It was a sort of emotional detox. As a divorced mum, I was used to it alternate years.

Nanny123 Thu 27-Dec-18 11:35:41

I would like to volunteer with shelter that feed the homeless

WildRoses Thu 27-Dec-18 11:42:48

Get a camper van. You can go wherever you want and be completely self sufficient. And there's no problems finding somewhere to park on Christmas day!!!! I'm done with spoilt, ungrateful family as well.

Daisyboots Thu 27-Dec-18 11:43:54

Living abroad we didnt have a traditional famly Christmas. And Christmas Eve is the important time here. Christmas day some restaurants open at lunchtime. We went to a restaurant with friends for lunch. The starters were buffet style as were the desserts but the main meal eas chosen from 4 fish dishes and 4 meat dishes (no turkey). As I am having probelms walking at the moment I had to depend on my husband's choices from the buffets. For dessert I was given a plate of various fruits so much healthier than all the other delicious cheesecakes etc he said. All this including wine water soft drinks and coffee was €23 a head. After this it was off to the clinic for my pain injections then home. In the evening my husband made an egg and bacon rolls. So I suppose an alternative Christmas. Must admit I was rather envious of all the Christmas dinner photos on FB.