Gransnet forums

AIBU

Marks and Sparks

(244 Posts)
Hildagard Tue 08-Jan-19 15:39:28

I know that this has probably been mentioned before but.....Went into to large store yesterday and what have they done!, completely lost it, the new products are well, words fail me. When are they going to take notice of their loyal customers I for one have lost that loyalty. I was looking for a pair of trousers. Regular length size 14 DH who is 6ft would have been able to wear some and the quality of the fabric, yuk. Went off to Debenhams and got a great pair, and in the sale. How many more of you feel the same as I do, what can we do?

MiniMoon Tue 08-Jan-19 16:03:04

I went to M&S for a pair of smart black trousers. They were hopeless, too long, too short, weird material. Yuk! I also went to Debenhams and got a pair there. Much better quality too.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Jan-19 16:09:52

I have tried on 8’s that are too big, 12’s that are too small, nasty material. I have given up with M & S trousers all together and now buy Boden on line or Hobbs, more expensive but at least they are wearable:

Liz46 Tue 08-Jan-19 16:14:23

I find that M&S trousers are baggy at the side, a bit like jodpurs.

TerriBull Tue 08-Jan-19 16:31:00

I ordered some fleecy tartan bed linen in their sale (sounds a bit yuk) but looked really nice especially for the winter. They approved my order on line and then emailed me just before I was due to pick it up, a week later, to say it was no longer in stock angry We also went to look at chest of drawers in the sale and thought they were insubstantial and not particularly well made. Went somewhere else and found some solid wood, better finish for slightly less.

lemongrove Tue 08-Jan-19 16:49:33

I think M&S is on the decline now, except for the food dept.

JoyBloggs Tue 08-Jan-19 16:52:57

Liz46 Quite agree... all M and S trousers I have tried on recently have looked like jodhpurs!

MawBroon Tue 08-Jan-19 16:53:11

Got some lovely “Supersoft” jumpers for only £15 each shortly before Christmas and DD who is normally a Hobbs or Boden girl appeared on Boxing Day looking a million dollars in a mid calf knife-pleated skirt worn with a black polo neck , black tights and grey ankle boots. She admitted the skirt came from M&S !
So not all bad.

MawBroon Tue 08-Jan-19 16:55:20

I also have 2 “tartan” fleecy/brushedcotton duvet sets from M&S which I bought last year when it was so cold. Love them.

notanan2 Tue 08-Jan-19 16:59:19

Quality is DREADFUL. Bought a pair of trousers there before Christmas and they were ruined with the first wash!

shysal Tue 08-Jan-19 17:29:56

I took my first trip into the city centre for a year last week, to spend the M & S gift cards I had been given for Christmas. I couldn't find a single item of clothing that I liked in the whole shop. None of their trousers suit my shape and I noticed that a lot of the pockets were false. I tried one V-necked top which came half way down my bust so was far too revealing. The only thing I did buy was a giant cheesy pretzel, which I ate surreptitiously on the bus going homeblush.

Katyj Tue 08-Jan-19 17:33:03

Agree about the trousers it's a nightmare getting the right fit and length.Also the food has gone downhill, we always buy a sherry triffle at Christmas, always been lovely, this year it had no taste, very watery, and no sign of the sherry, also the sausages and bacon were rubbish.

Jalima1108 Tue 08-Jan-19 18:00:59

weird material.
Yes, what has happened to the material minimoon - it's horrible? Either cheap and flimsy or thick like old-fashioned crimplene stuff.

I still wear a pair of fine wool trousers I bought in C&C but they are straight rather than slim - if I knew they were closing down I'd have bought more.

Jalima1108 Tue 08-Jan-19 18:02:09

MawBroon you must have the best at your M&S , then they send the rejects to all our stores!
grin

Hildagard Tue 08-Jan-19 18:12:17

My first post didn’t mention problem with food! Had a 50% refund as I complained that turkey wasn’t up to standard, which I was happy with, but again will not be ordering their turkey next Christmas

Liz46 Tue 08-Jan-19 18:28:58

I miss BHS underwear.

Grammaretto Tue 08-Jan-19 18:37:00

Where can you find good quality clothes with good fabric? If you buy on-line you can't feel it.
I was very disappointed going round the sales recently .

shysal Tue 08-Jan-19 18:39:09

Katyj, M & S have introduced a delicious new strawberry compote trifle without the watery jelly. I tried it when lunching with a friend and we enjoyed it. Apparently it was on special offer last week at £2.50. I must say I have no complaints about their food.

Alima Tue 08-Jan-19 19:09:27

It’s such a shame the way M & S is going downhill. Even Per Una looks rubbish now. Are all the clothes made outside the UK? Remember going to a friends home near Nelson in South Wales in the early 70’s. There was a local M & S factory selling seconds, bought some real bargains.

MacCavity2 Tue 08-Jan-19 19:17:32

Stopped buying their food last year. Clothes a long time before that. What a shame used to be so good.

Chewbacca Tue 08-Jan-19 19:24:04

I've had £40 worth of M & S vouchers waiting to be spent for almost 2 years. Can't find anything in there to spend them on because it's utter rubbish. Tu clothing is better quality at a better price. Even Primark beats M&S these days.

I think their decline is too far gone now to be salvaged.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 08-Jan-19 19:29:27

Ditto, could not find a single item I wanted to buy. Store feels overcrowded and colours “off”. I tried to buy some bedding but everything I choose had to be ordered. As I needed items immediately, I went to Debenhams. I like John Lewis but am seldom in the city.

Jalima1108 Tue 08-Jan-19 19:33:11

Had a 50% refund as I complained that turkey wasn’t up to standard,
I'm sorry to hear that, Hildegard - I must say that ours was delicious.

Jalima1108 Tue 08-Jan-19 19:34:17

I can't get to Debenhams very easily and, like Grammaretto, like to 'feel' the fabric.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 08-Jan-19 19:35:59

Chose