Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect dog owners to control where their pets pee?

(74 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 12-Jan-19 15:46:45

Ooh sorry but have to rant! Was just washing up, kitchen window faces out front and saw a chap letting his dog roam over my front garden, peeing on it (the dog peeing, not the man!). I popped out and asked him nicely, not to let his dog do that again as my garden isn't a dog toilet.

He marched up the drive, and told me to tell the dog that.

My response " you're responsible for controlling your dog".

His response "you need to grow up" .

My response "you need to take responsibility for your dog's behaviour ".

I shut the door then as I felt he was belligerent and didn't want him taking a swing at me.

I should add our garden is open plan, as our estate planning didn't allow otherwise, and the dog wash on a lead so the owner could have done more to control it. (It was actually a really nice 'smiley' labrador which under different circumstances I'd have loved to pat).

I'm not a dog hater: for years we had dogs but work and other commitments didn't allow for us to have more when the last one passed away (and I still miss her). However I would never allow my dogs to foul other people's property: they were always put out in my back garden to do their 'big' business before being taken out for walks for recreational purposes and NOT allowed to pee in other people's gardens on the way!

Grrrr!!!

Sorry for the rant but he was SO rude and clearly felt he had the right to let his dog do that!

Maybe I should keep a bucket of water handy but would be tempted to chuck it over the owner, not the dog.....

FlexibleFriend Sat 12-Jan-19 16:03:02

He's an idiot and unfortunately he's not alone, male dogs love to cock their leg at every opportunity and I won't even let mine pee up lamp posts let alone in someones garden. It's not difficult to stop and if he can't do it he shouldn't have a dog. There are enough people around who hate dogs as it is and his attitude just makes things worse.

fiorentina51 Sat 12-Jan-19 16:04:51

What a rude man! I feel for you, we used to find a large "parcel" on our drive each morning. I get tempted to lie in wait for the dog and it's owner but never did. ?

KatyK Sat 12-Jan-19 16:11:02

When a dog jumped up at me one wet day, leaving mud from its paws and a small rip in my coat from its claws (are they claws?), the owner's response was to laugh and say to the dog 'oh you are naughty'. angry

phoenix Sat 12-Jan-19 16:46:28

Sorry to disagree (while I fully support the policy of picking up poo) but expecting an owner to be able to dictate where a dog pee's is unrealistic.I

The owners attitude was however very rude.

jenpax Sat 12-Jan-19 16:50:45

My issue here is that the owner allowed the dog to trespass on the garden of the OP! If the dog is anywhere except an open space or park it should be either walking to heel or on a lead

phoenix Sat 12-Jan-19 16:56:50

Fair comment, jenpax and apologies to G.O disgracefully (just couldn't bring myself to abbreviate to "God" !

Agree, dog should have been on a lead, and not free to roam on what is private property.

BlueBelle Sat 12-Jan-19 17:12:15

The dog was on a lead according to the original post

Nonnie Sat 12-Jan-19 17:12:27

There are selfish people everywhere and just because someone has a dog doesn't make them a nice person. I would be upset it that happened to me. Next door's dog always came to our front door but not to pee, they just liked it when it stayed with us when the owners were away!

We had a spate of some dog owner picking up after their dog and throwing the bags into our hedge. Never found out who it was. Suspect that was because Mr Nosey next door watched and challenged them.

sodapop Sat 12-Jan-19 17:30:40

It is difficult to stop dogs marking the area but as it was on a lead the man could have prevented this happening. His attitude was unacceptable and reflects badly on responsible dog owners.

NanaandGrampy Sat 12-Jan-19 17:34:27

As a dog owner ( and a male dog at that ) I completely appreciate where the OP was coming from.

I have yet to have been able to train a male dog not to pee up every available lamppost - and to be fair that’s how they communicate and mark territory .

But it is possible to train your pup if you start early enough to only go on command. All of ours over many, many years were trained to go on the command of ‘Be Clean’ . It’s not hard but not many dog owners put in the training even for simple things like obedience let alone weeping on command.

I blame the owner , not the dog .

FlexibleFriend Sat 12-Jan-19 17:43:27

It's easy to stop dogs peeing up lamp posts it's part of their training. When pavement walking as you approach a lamp post you say " Walk on" and walk briskly past the lamp post. I've managed it with every male dog I've owned and I'm aware that dogs pick up their pee mail and like to leave it for others but honestly they can sniff each others but not some randoms. We try to avoid pavement walking because it's boring and they get more than enough to sniff over the woods every day.

dragonfly46 Sat 12-Jan-19 17:46:09

I am really surprised that people are bothered by where a dog does its pee. Cat owners are not so fussy. Cats are let out to pee and pooh anywhere they want to. I always pick up dog pooh and I do not let him go in other peoples gardens but I do not stop him peeing up a lamppost or in a hedge.

MissAdventure Sat 12-Jan-19 17:47:46

My neighbour had a little dog for a while, and I had to politely tell her not to let it piddle up the plant pots outside my flat.

jenpax Sat 12-Jan-19 18:05:16

Bluebell I missed that! and in fact the dog being on a lead makes it even worse that the owner allowed the dog to wander over someone else’s garden!

glammanana Sat 12-Jan-19 18:12:19

What an absolutely horrible man he should have had his dog on a short lead at the least.
Both my dogs go in the same concreated garden area when ever they need to go even the 6th month old puppy goes in the same place evry time she goes out and Bassets are sometimes known for being difficult to train but she has followed our other little dog during this training process.

OutsideDave Sat 12-Jan-19 22:33:07

He was rude, and the dog shouldn’t have been in your garden- HOWEVER in all likelihood all nature of wildlife are peeing and pooping in the garden and you somehow deal with that. Now, I do get annoyed when folks fuss about dogs peeing on the public curb strip. Everyone should pick up after their dog waste and avoid private property; and folks should be realistic about the fact that they are walking in wildlife waste every time they are outdoors.

holdingontometeeth Sat 12-Jan-19 22:42:08

Disgraceful. My dog is that well trained that when he goes out for a walk he insists on holding a toilet roll between his teeth.

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Jan-19 22:43:00

I can sympathise ~GrowingOld
Our gardens are open plan and I have seen people taking their dogs for walkies on leads and allowing them into everyone's front gardens to pee.
In fact, I have known some do their business on lawns too.
And in children's play parks.

I am really surprised that people are bothered by where a dog does its pee^ Pee can leave bare patches on the lawn dragonfly
but don't get me started on cats …..

MissAdventure Sat 12-Jan-19 22:48:10

holdingon perhaps you could get your dog to eat it, then it would wipe his bum on the way out..

dragonfly46 Sat 12-Jan-19 22:48:20

Jalima I was really referring to lamp posts. I would never allow the dog onto other people’s gardens.

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Jan-19 22:49:41

HOWEVER in all likelihood all nature of wildlife are peeing and pooping in the garden and you somehow deal with that.
I've seen fox poo in our garden but I've never seen a fox on a lead Dave

holdingontometeeth Sat 12-Jan-19 23:02:42

MissAdventure. If that’s your best contribution then I can only wonder about others fantasies.

MissAdventure Sun 13-Jan-19 00:10:01

wink

Namsnanny Sun 13-Jan-19 00:18:11

Really this is the owners fault. He was rude and aggressive. Also dim and lazy in my view as he couldn't take the trouble to try to train his dog.
Perhaps dog owners should be required to attend a dog training course? But it should include how excessive barking or peeing inappropriately or not disposing of faeces properly, affects other people.
TBH all the above should be second nature, but there are selfish people everywhere.
My relatives employed a dog trainer to make sure they understood their puppies needs. As they put it they want a happy dog, not a nuisance to the neighbourhood.

As Jamilla1108 said.....don't get me started on cats!!