Gransnet forums

AIBU

Violent TV programmes

(81 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 15-Jan-19 21:54:11

They seem to be the norm now, are they a reflection of parts of our society OR are they steering us towards accepting this as the norm .? Does this brainwash a generation of young people into carrying weapons as acceptable & par for the course?
It’s the same old question , do TV & films reflect reality or do we emulate what we see & watch?

PECS Tue 15-Jan-19 22:17:19

Bridgeit probably a bit of both!
My DH sometimes wiles away an hour or so watching b&w films on ch 81. They have many murder mysteries and police procedurals. I do not think the awful things people do to each other have got worse..we just see & hear more about it..and it is in colour!

eazybee Tue 15-Jan-19 22:21:14

I saw the last episode of Luther and was revolted and disgusted by it.
I think it does brainwash people into a sense of indifference towards violence.
It may reflect a very small section of society, notably gang culture, which needs to be identified and exposed and exterminated.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Jan-19 22:25:13

Didn’t fancy Luther but I do enjoy murder dramas not for the murder but the solving of the murder

BradfordLass72 Tue 15-Jan-19 22:26:55

When I was a kid, I went to the Saturday morning cinema, exclusively for children. It was called The Tuppeny Rush, even though it costs sixpence.

When I came out of that session, I WAS Hoppalong Cassidy and used to gallop down the road beating my hip and shooting at bandits and coyotes....rife in Bradford's street at that time smile

The films affected me so strongly that I have no doubt whatsoever they do the same today.

Bridgeit Tue 15-Jan-19 22:30:20

?Better be careful what you watch Bradfordlass!

dragonfly46 Tue 15-Jan-19 22:45:08

I totally agree about the violence on tv. I am sure there is more of it than there used to be. I hated Luther and hid behind my iPad.

There used to be far more comedy eg Only Fools and Horses, Butterflies, The Good Life even AbFab. Okay there was a lot of rubbish but it was silly harmless rubbish. Now it seems that programmes are not rated unless they have violence, bad language and sex.

Jane10 Wed 16-Jan-19 07:32:24

I hate all this cruel violence presented as entertainment. What is wrong with the viewing public that we seem to expect it? I certainly won't watch such programmes.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 16-Jan-19 07:47:41

I like detective/ police dramas, but abhor violence for violence sake!!!

Luther was a no for me also.

LullyDully Wed 16-Jan-19 08:16:24

We missed.Luther too, being too squeamish. I dislike the post mortem scenes where cutting into flesh and showing organs is common.

I wonder why we are all so drawn to a good murder. All the psychopaths seem to be so intelligent, knowledgeable about the scriptures and with perfect, meticulous planning.

Greyduster Wed 16-Jan-19 08:57:59

I must say that, by the time the last two episodes of Luther came around, I was finding it very difficult to watch. I don’t think the darker moments in film and tv reflect reality, but we are faced with so much of it that maybe we are finding it difficult to put into perspective. I don’t think the viewing public expect it, really; I think it is forced on us. I think I will be sticking to reruns of Father Brown!?

Luckygirl Wed 16-Jan-19 09:03:13

I gave Luther a miss - violence for no reason, silly masks - just generally nonsense.

I like police dramas, because of the trying to solve the conundrum of who-dun-it. But the gore is a bit unnecessary. I don't need the gore to enjoy the process.

Grandma70s Wed 16-Jan-19 09:10:07

I never watch any violence. I switch off the moment there’s any sign of it. This is very limiting - historical dramas or documentaries, for instance, are often full of violence. It puzzles me that many people don’t seem to mind - or even, I’m sorry to say, enjoy it.

Lily65 Wed 16-Jan-19 09:30:58

I watched some of Luther and questioned what on earth I was doing....this is entertainment?

I don't think so. Deeply disturbing and a waste of talent. I like the genre of crime but what is watching this stuff doing to us? The bar has definitely moved in terms of what is acceptable viewing.

Witzend Wed 16-Jan-19 09:38:43

Didn't even watch the whole first episode of Luther. In particular sadistic cruelty or violence really bothers me. Things I've seen or read can come back to haunt me in the small hours - sometimes for years.

But some people must enjoy them, which I do find disturbing.
When I worked at the library there was a perfectly pleasant, 60-ish woman who was very keen on a particular crime author. She asked me whether I liked the books, and I had to say no (although I enjoy most crime novels) because they always seemed to feature sadistic violence.
She said she enjoyed those bits!
It still gives me a chill to remember that, and it was years ago.

Jane10 Wed 16-Jan-19 09:41:32

I agree re Father Brown. I also liked the Dr Blake Mysteries now under a different name minus the doctor sad

paperbackbutterfly Wed 16-Jan-19 09:45:04

Soaps used to reflect real life and offer an insight into ways of dealing with problems ( I still remember the saga of Minnie Caldwell's missing cat!). If they are a reflection of real life now then it is horrific I no longer watch soaps.

Coconut Wed 16-Jan-19 09:46:17

You only have to watch the reality Police and Prison programmes to see just how much vileness and violence there is out there today.

Cold Wed 16-Jan-19 09:51:45

I don't like violent TV shows and I don't watch them.

However violent TV shows are not a new thing at all. I remember shows like "The Sweeney" in the 1970s being pretty violent and the original series of Taggart had their moments as well.

sunseeker Wed 16-Jan-19 10:02:35

I don't think there was the graphic, up close and personal, violence in the older TV programmes and films. Just like sex in films it was implied but rarely shown.

I am sure some GNs will reply by listing violent films, but they were in the minority - now it is almost compulsory to put graphic scenes into TV and film.

Lily65 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:02:55

I think the cruelty and gore used to be in part balanced out by an intellectual challenge of who done it and why.....not its just vile for the sake of it.

I am still haunted by an episode of A touch of Frost.

Nelliemoser Wed 16-Jan-19 10:12:50

I am fully with eazybee on that. It has to have an effect on people.

I find so many of these programs are unnecessarily violent.
You can easily make it clear that a violent action has taken place on film or such.
Luther being one of far too many.

GabriellaG54 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:15:21

I watch very little tv and of those programmes I do watch, 90% are factual, non-violent, non-sexual.
My AC and GC are very outdoorsy in their workplaces and into sports so they would rarely be found veg-ing in front of the tv.

Anja Wed 16-Jan-19 10:21:37

It’s the gratuitous violence I cannot stand. Like Luther. I watched Silent Witness last night and there was a point being made.

Anja Wed 16-Jan-19 10:24:34

GG ???