Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are we being fed a lie with salmon ?

(44 Posts)
Totallylost Sat 19-Jan-19 23:33:00

AIBU

To question why no one is questioning the Scottish salmon industry . For years they have been farming salmon to a point now where the salmon are not only disease and lice ridden but also so deformed as to be beyond belief ,check out Corin Smith on FB for the truth behind the so called regulated industry , the issues around mad cow disease which no one originally believed in has had such far reaching consequences and yet the Scottish salmon farm industry has slipped under the radar with no one taking any heed , we can only hope and pray that these poor disease and toxin carrying fish that we are actively encouraged to consume are not going to be the next source of major scourge on the human race . Maybe this is why salmon is no longer considered a food for the rich but is instead packaged and processed then fed to the masses as a cheap food stuff, unfortunately it would appear that the Scottish government and its regulatory bodies is in the pockets of these unsavoury practices .

bikergran Tue 12-Feb-19 20:52:17

hmm just earlier on bought two packages of whoopsie salmon for myself and dd not sure if I fancy it now.confused

Urmstongran Tue 12-Feb-19 20:40:39

Grannyknot However I have since bought wild sock-eye salmon a few times, and it is delicious (but very expensive).

I’d like to buy some.
Please would you let me know where you buy from?

Iam64 Tue 12-Feb-19 20:15:11

I haven't eaten farmed fish for as long as I can remember. I eat wild salmon and mackerel when it's fresh, as well as white fish.
I buy kibble for my dogs that is made from free range fish or meat.
We eat more vegetable meals than meat or fish based and I try to buy free range from sources I can trust. I know it's more expensive but I'm fortunate to be able to buy quality rather than quantity. animal welfare is something I attempt to keep central to any flesh we eat.

crystaltipps Tue 12-Feb-19 19:19:59

A plant based diet has much less impact on the environment in terms of water and land use and emissions than a diet that is based on meat and fish. Reducing meat and fish in our diet is one way we can help the planet.

alchemilla Tue 12-Feb-19 18:49:55

I've stopped eating salmon if it's not wild. ditto tuna, which is also farmed in the mediterranean. The damage done - and it's not just the lice that kills the other species - also includes the foulness dropping from fish which are effectively caged and again destroys other species. It's not easy - and then you have the Dutch electrofishing in the North Sea destroying sand eels and the stuff fish love.

Totallylost Sun 20-Jan-19 16:32:43

greydusterand anja you're both absolutely right wrasse are being used, but only a few are specifically bred , most of them are being taken out of wild stock and therefore having a negative impact on yet another species

www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/10/salmon-farmers-put-wild-wrasse-at-risk--sea-lice-scotland-anglers

Fennel Sun 20-Jan-19 16:09:52

I did ask about sea trout,Greyduster because I know they look like salmon but are a different breed. The flesh is paler.
More natural?
Which reminds me, eldest daughter, who has a biochemistry qualification, had a job for a short time in a scientific lab. where they made an additive to farmed fish food which caused the fish's flesh to be more red.

EllanVannin Sun 20-Jan-19 15:59:41

Cavewoman, salmon which is caught in UK waters contain parasites and I knew of someone who'd been seriously ill after eating at a restaurant.

M0nica Sun 20-Jan-19 15:51:02

The only way to put a serious dent in the environmental damage done by humans is to drastically reduce the number of us there are.

Jalima1108 Sun 20-Jan-19 15:33:53

We tend to eat a lot of vegetables too.

One thing puzzled me recently though - the report on tv about eating much less meat and fish, very few eggs and making our diet more plant and pulse based because of the methane given off by farmed animals.
As the animals we do use for food eat a vegetarian diet does that produce the methane? If we change to a more vegetable and pulse based diet will it be humans producing the methane instead. That would be counter-productive.

M0nica Sun 20-Jan-19 15:15:31

Jalima1108

Yes, it is the responsibility of every single one of us to try to eat in manner that is in sympathy with the environment and our need for sustenance.

In many countries meat and even fish, is a luxury, eaten in very small quantities and/or only on high days and holidays. I have reduced our meat consumption considerably because I now only buy organically farmed and high animal welfare meat, which is expensive. The same with salmon. I only buy wild salmon.

It has made surprisingly little difference to our diet. We have always been a casserole and stew based family rather than great lumps of meat family, so I continue with all our favourite dishes but with far more vegetables so that 1lb of meat will produce a stew sufficient to feed 8, and sometimes more. I love vegetables so we have always tended to have a fruit and veg heavy diet anyway.

Greyduster Sun 20-Jan-19 15:07:51

Sorry Fennel I misconstrued your question; hence me banging on about sea trout.

Jalima1108 Sun 20-Jan-19 14:49:57

fed to the masses
It's our fault.
Us
The masses
The plebs
Needing to be fed

Anja Sun 20-Jan-19 14:33:10

Fennel Atlantic sea salmon is the breed of salmon. Salmon and trout can interbreed as they are very close genetically.

Lazigirl Sun 20-Jan-19 14:16:57

I don't think it is cw. You can eat it raw in sushi can't you?

cavewoman Sun 20-Jan-19 14:08:21

EllanVannin After a little research I cannot find any information as to why it is so dangerous to eat undercooked salmon.

Lazigirl Sun 20-Jan-19 14:02:40

Intensive farming of any sort is bound to cause problems and the only choice is to buy organic and free range, or eat less meat and fish. Same with cheap clothing, not eat.............but buy less. Clothing manufacture and dying causes much of the world's pollution. I think it can be a problem if your only choice is to buy cheap food and clothing because not everyone can eat organic or invest the time in cooking veggie based meals from scratch.

Greyduster Sun 20-Jan-19 13:37:22

Sea trout (which is actually a form seagoing brown trout) migrate from the sea into rivers to breed in the same way as salmon, but unlike salmon, they don’t die when they have spawned. 75% of sea trout return to the sea after spawning. They are, as you say, caught at sea or in estuaries, mostly at night as they are difficult to find in the daytime, but they are caught in spate rivers also. Some of the Welsh estuaries, and one in Sussex, produce excellent sea trout.

Fennel Sun 20-Jan-19 13:07:20

If the salmon is labelled Atlantic sea salmon does that mean it was caught out at sea, or farmed in a sea loch?
We once had a holiday in NW Scotland, and were shown a salmon farm in a sea loch there. Can't remember the name now, but there are a few.
It was neat Glenelg.
There's another variety called salmon trout, which I think is caught out at sea. Could be wrong.

EllanVannin Sun 20-Jan-19 13:00:06

Undercooked salmon is so dangerous and if you overcook it to kill the bugs it chokes you--------I only eat wild red tinned salmon, but mostly smoked mackerel ( which has gone expensive I notice )

Food used to be so reliable at one time. It isn't any longer.

Anja Sun 20-Jan-19 12:19:37

There are several species of fish, including ballan wrasse and lumpfish, which naturally eat sea lice. These fish are introduced to salmon pens to eat sea lice off the salmon. This is a biological approach to sea lice management, and there are research projects underway to identify more potential cleaner fish species.

M0nica Sun 20-Jan-19 12:18:48

Behind all these problems are us, the consumers, who want more and more delicacies to become much cheaper and normal fare.

We do not want know at what price this food is made available to us, just complain if the price rises following the introduction of better welfare standards for the fish and that that is making it too expensive and out of consideration for those on below average incomes.

Greyduster Sun 20-Jan-19 12:13:11

It takes as few as eleven lice to kill a juvenile salmon. The problem is they are attacked as they wait at the mouths of rivers for the perfect conditions to begin their swim upstream to their spawning grounds. Large numbers now never make it. We lost vast numbers of river salmon in the North if England due to industrial pollution. After a Herculean effort to clean up the rivers, they are slowly coming back. I never thought I would see salmon back in our local river in my lifetime, but they are here. They, and sea trout, grayling and brown trout, are major indicators of the health of our rivers. We must do all we can to protect them.

trisher Sun 20-Jan-19 10:46:05

It is fish farming in general , not just salmon farming which has real problems. If I buy salmon I usually go for wild salmon, but buying any fish is a huge issue. Tuna is currently really under threat.
One interesting fact that shows how things have changed. In the Middle Ages salmon was caught in huge numbers and was regarded as food for the poor. It is said that apprentices in Newcastle had written into their contracts that they should not be fed salmon more than twice a week!
There is a Greenpeace campaign to change things and protect species by creating areas of protection.
act.greenpeace.org/ea-action/action

Davidhs Sun 20-Jan-19 10:07:17

Salmon farming has always been controversial not just because of disease but their feed is highly questionable.
It is the product of industrial fishing of sand eels and other non edible species, it is these fish that are the main food for sea birds, puffins, gulls and all the others we like to see on our coasts. These “industrial fish” are also a large part of the diet of cod and the other edible fish, so in environmental terms salmon farming is bad news.
It’s well overdue to have a sensible fisheries policy but there are far to many vested interests, not to mention national interests for that to be achieved.