Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect men to wash their hands after going to the loo?

(94 Posts)
Annaram1 Sun 20-Jan-19 13:13:24

I belong to a friendship group. We meet once a month for a meal and chat. Its all very nice and friendly. However recently one of the ladies told me that her husband had told her after he went to the Gents that a lot of the men used the urinals and did not wash their hands after handling their willies. She told me the names of some of these men. Now I see these men who are all on the face of it lovely men and they come out of the Gents and start shaking hands with people and kissing the ladies and then eating …. all with dirty hands... It has ruined my nice group meetings.

MissAdventure Sun 20-Jan-19 13:28:18

It might have been better not to know.
Yes, everyone should wash their hands, but thanks to the informant, you now know that they don't.
Just try not to touch them, I suppose, and never let them fetch you a sandwich or anything!
Dirty sods.

mumofmadboys Sun 20-Jan-19 13:29:34

Forget about it. We are all covered in germs anyway. Does everyone who wipes their nose or coughs/ sneezes into their hand go off and wash their hands?

Lynne59 Sun 20-Jan-19 13:53:02

"Willies"...that's a babyish word. There are germs on every single surface/item we all touch. The button for lifts and pedestrian crossings are amongst the worst - I was told that at a food hygiene course.

Forget it, the men in the group are still "lovely men", just not overly concerned about touching their penises.

sodapop Sun 20-Jan-19 13:59:51

Bit harsh Lyn59 I would think the OP was looking for a term which is acceptable to all.
Don't think about it Annaram1 , if we worried about all hygiene lapses we would never do anything, its unfortunate your friend went into such detail.

Jane10 Sun 20-Jan-19 14:00:03

Obviously lots of us are babies then Lynne59! Poor OP.
It would have been better not to know. Nothing you can do about it though. It's been going on for all the time you've known them. Just focus on enjoying your meal and the company generally.

Gonegirl Sun 20-Jan-19 14:02:57

So long as they don't dribble wee on their fingers, then I guess it's ok.

Floradora9 Sun 20-Jan-19 14:03:22

I listen to any workman who ask to use our toilet and if no sign of taps being on I am straight in there with my wipes . We go to a hotel in the Canaries where they have hand sanitisers at the door . How can anyone just walk past when the majority use them ?

Gonegirl Sun 20-Jan-19 14:03:23

Sorry if "wee" is babyish.

Alexa Sun 20-Jan-19 14:05:24

When I have used a public toilet and washed my hands I handle the door of the room with the hem of my anorak or something similar, because of people not washing after defaecation. Penises are a lot cleaner than anuses.

Lazigirl Sun 20-Jan-19 14:10:02

That's why you never eat snacks like nuts left out on bars in pubs as they've been shown to be full of faecal bacteria. I have seen cooks in cafes exit loos without hand washing. I think that's more concerning.

Sparklefizz Sun 20-Jan-19 14:13:01

When my husband and I were having a coffee in a hospital cafe while waiting for tests, he went to the Men's toilet and came out very surprised that there were 2 doctors in there (with name tags, so definitely no mistaking them) .... and they didn't wash their hands after using the urinals. This is no good for hospital patients who may have reduced immune systems.

Marelli Sun 20-Jan-19 15:53:42

In the 70's I had a cleaning job at the local surgery. I was quite taken aback to see one of the GPs wiping his nose on the teatowel in the office. ?

BlueBelle Sun 20-Jan-19 15:57:53

Oh I think it’s daft to be concentrating on things like this you could take change in a shop from a hand that just been to the loo, you could touch any doorknob that’s just had an unclean hand on it, someone could have just sneezed into their hand then opened the door
Forget it a few germs are good for you don’t waste time even thinking about it We must all touch plentb of ‘willy hands’ in a lifetime
(The doctors may have been going straight to scrub up who knows)

POGS Sun 20-Jan-19 16:36:31

I must admit I hate the dirty b----s who don't wash their hands and they are not only men.

Haven't we all been in say a supermarket toilet and a dirty woman goes to the loo and leaves without washing her hands?

Then she goes through the tomatoes , veg etc. not packaged !

YUK

silverlining48 Sun 20-Jan-19 16:39:55

My husband always washes his hands after using the toilet both home and public, and is quite shocked how few other men do. I find most women do wash their hands. We know germs are all around us but surely hands should still be washed after using the toilet.

Caledonai14 Sun 20-Jan-19 16:59:49

I was entering a restaurant one day when a waiter came out of the loo still zipping up his flies. I turned and went somewhere else.

Izabella Sun 20-Jan-19 17:05:48

Welcome to the real world annaram1 grin

FarNorth Sun 20-Jan-19 17:13:32

Of course all sorts of things 'could' happen.
It's just depressing to think that someone you know thinks so little of hygiene.
Don't you people on here normally wash your hands after using the toilet? Or do you not bother because we are surrounded by germs anyway?

Those doctors shockshock

Cherrytree59 Sun 20-Jan-19 17:20:30

My little grandson asked his mum if she could see any bugs on his tummy,

His mums said 'No of course not, why do think you would have bugs on your tummy'?

'Well' he said 'I didn't wash my hands after I had a wee and my Gran said if I don't wash my hands after going to the toilet I will get tummy bugs!'shock

Gonegirl Sun 20-Jan-19 17:23:03

Well,of course women wash their hands. It's a more involved process with us.

Gonegirl Sun 20-Jan-19 17:23:45

(That was to FarNorth)

EllanVannin Sun 20-Jan-19 17:29:50

Do as the Queen does and wear gloves. Leave the thicker ones on in the winter on account of your " circulation " ( cold hands or Raynauds ) Lacey ones in the summer to avoid midgy bites.

Luckygirl Sun 20-Jan-19 17:37:50

My DGS aged 3 was in the loo the other day and came out and said "I must wash my hands as my willy is covered in germs." I said that his willy was just splendid and not germy, but the toilet gets a bit germy with poo so that is why we wash our hands. I did not want him to regard his penis in a negative way.

I do not see penises as inherently germ-laden, any more than any other skin - which is of course also covered in germs. I guess if they had had to lift the seat rather than using a urinal, then there would be a strong case for hand washing. Otherwise I don't see a problem.

Sparklefizz Sun 20-Jan-19 17:54:00

What about the door though? My local pharmacist has a sign on the door saying "Think how many people have pushed this open". They go straight across from the doctor's surgery.