Gransnet forums

AIBU

Making extra work

(303 Posts)
Hatpev Sun 03-Feb-19 12:41:09

Aibu. DH watched me strip the guest bed this week saw the linen drying and then watched me iron it and put it back on the bed ready for whoever stays next. The next night he moved into that bed because I was snoring. Agh!
I haven’t said anything because on a previous occasion I spent half day cleaning bathroom for guests coming the next day only to find him using it instead of the en-suite we usually use. This caused a huge argument. Is it me?

petra Sun 03-Feb-19 12:51:09

My only comment is: how dirty was your bathroom that it took half a day to clean. Double yuk.

Luckygirl Sun 03-Feb-19 12:58:35

I wouldn't flap about it - TBH guests do not always get clean sheets here if it has only been one night. Maybe that is why we have few guests staying over! grin

DoraMarr Sun 03-Feb-19 12:58:41

Petra, that’s very unkind.

Nonnie Sun 03-Feb-19 13:09:08

Perhaps it is a big bathroom with lots of fittings. Agre Dora

Jane10 Sun 03-Feb-19 13:27:13

Maybe it was just a figure of speech meaning that she really spent ages getting it sparkling? I'd be pretty cross re the sheets etc. Get him to wash and iron them after use?

Telly Sun 03-Feb-19 13:28:27

Well get him to change the sheets etc.!

cornergran Sun 03-Feb-19 13:34:04

I’ve recently done the same here after Mr C had changed the spare bed. My excuse was to avoid his lurgy and I will change it again, if he doesn’t do it first grin. It’s probably just lack of thought hatpev. I’d be ‘encouraging’ a shared approach to tasks and offering a reminder when needed.

BlueBelle Sun 03-Feb-19 13:35:08

Oh come on is there nothing else to worry about

Nonnie Sun 03-Feb-19 14:03:02

BlueBelle why come on a thread just to be scathing? Why not stay away if it is not for you?

mumofmadboys Sun 03-Feb-19 14:05:56

Petra!!!!

Izabella Sun 03-Feb-19 14:26:12

Well i would expect him to then change it following a polite request to do so.

Elegran Sun 03-Feb-19 15:18:42

But if he foresees sleeping in it repeatedly, given that you are probably snoring because of a cold or similar, and are likely to snore again, then let him "dirty them out" before getting him to change the sheets again.

How soon do you expect visitors? Any day now? in a month's time? In the summer? This, year, next year, sometime, never?

Would you have changed the sheets about now anyway, visitors or not, and does DH qualify for clean sheets now and then? Is he a messy bathroom user who needs it spring-cleaned after he has used it?

kittylester Sun 03-Feb-19 15:21:58

I started a post about this a while ago.......but my DH had tried all the spare beds till he found one he like. angry

Anja Sun 03-Feb-19 15:33:59

Really not worth stressing about. It does seem a long time cleaning a bathroom unless it’s very big indeed or very mucky in the first place ?

And I never iron sheets anyway. Or if they do look a bit crumpled I’ll iron them in situ depending on my guest(s). I find if I feed them well and pile them with drink they tend not to notice if the sheets are ironed so long as they smell clean.,

Anja Sun 03-Feb-19 15:34:31

Plie nor pile!

Gonegirl Sun 03-Feb-19 15:42:07

Elegran has said it all. Leave the sheets until just before the next guests are due to arrive in case he needs to sleep in there again. He can't have made the bathroom very dirty using it once can he? A quick swish and swipe would fix that.

sodapop Sun 03-Feb-19 16:05:29

I have to say here that it really niggles me when I have cleaned the bathroom, my husband then uses it, I know its irrational but still ...........
Just leave the sheets until you
a) have guests
b) they walk into the washing machine on their own
I always iron sheets, I love the feel of freshly ironed bed linen.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Feb-19 16:29:48

I'm always moaning about 'people' (grandson) giving me extra work.
Its one of my pet hates, along with hundreds of others.
I think I've done and dusted something, then find I've to do a bit extra.

eazybee Sun 03-Feb-19 16:36:54

I can't understand people who clean and tidy the home, then resent people, usually their husband, making use of the facilities. What is the point? Is it just for show, so everyone can admire housewifely skills, or simply an excuse to be a martyr?

MissAdventure Sun 03-Feb-19 16:38:22

Well, its nice to at least be able to sit down with a cuppa before 'someone' spoils it.

Hatpev Sun 03-Feb-19 21:46:49

Ouch!!!!!!!? I don’t have a dirty bathroom. I spring cleaned from ceiling to floor ( possibly an overdue event but certainly not insanitary ).

Gonegirl Sun 03-Feb-19 22:40:55

Can't open your mouth round here can you Hatpev! ?

annep1 Sun 03-Feb-19 22:53:09

Maybe she just meant it took a long time. I don't know the OPscl age but I'm 67 and energy has to be used wisely because it's in shorter supply now. I would be really annoyed if he'd used the bathroom.
As for the bed. I don't iron sheets. And I would change the bedlinen on the day the visitor is expected. Not that anyone ever comes to stay?

Urmstongran Sun 03-Feb-19 22:59:18

I had to giggle at your post Anja as I read it too quickly and thought you were feeding and plying your sheets with food and drink! I puzzled and thought what?? Then read it more slowly ... it did make me chuckle ?