Gransnet forums

AIBU

Things that annoy me

(148 Posts)
Cindersdad Tue 05-Feb-19 14:39:09

There are many things that infuriate me so may be I'm just an impatient so and so. I'll just tell you of one of many for now.

In a queue at the supermarket the cashier has rung in the items for the customer ahead of me and has to wait for the customer to pack all the items before said customer fumbles for his/her card/cash holding up those behind them. They should have the card/cash ready much sooner allowing the cashier to get on with serving the next customer.

NanaandGrampy Tue 05-Feb-19 14:41:54

Trouble is you do only have 2 hands ...so if you're handing over your card you're not packing . So you're not going to be any quicker.

Or if you got out your card and your loyalty card they're in one hand and you're packing with the other which is equally slow .

Personally , I think its just a few seconds wait ( its not like its 20 mins is it? ) what are you missing in 20 seconds :-)

Tangerine Tue 05-Feb-19 14:50:36

I think people ought to be as quick as is physically possible to avoid holding up other people but I think I agree with NanaandGrampy that it's only a matter of seconds. Some people are quicker than others and we have to accept that.

Charleygirl5 Tue 05-Feb-19 14:50:49

It appears to come as a complete surprise that some people have to pay at the end of the transaction. It is longer than 20 seconds by the time the person fumbles in the bag, then the purse and rakes around for notes and then cash.

I have a debit and a loyalty card in my hand which I then transfer into a handy coat pocket, I pack my goods quite speedily and I am out of the door.

Luckygirl Tue 05-Feb-19 15:00:53

When I am packing up at the checkout - s very rare event as I mostly shop online - I make a point of taking a deep breath and not letting myself feel hassled by others behind me in the queue. I do my best to get through as efficiently as possible; but I make sure that I do not let myself feel hurried. That sort of stress is very bad for you.

SueDonim Tue 05-Feb-19 15:03:49

Use the self-checkouts if you don't want to wait for people paying. People like my 91yo mum struggle with arthritis and packing and paying are difficult for her.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Feb-19 15:03:57

I can't pack whilst I'm holding my card or cash.
How do people do it?

Nonnie Tue 05-Feb-19 15:12:59

I do think there are some people who have no awareness of others or the effect their behaviour has on others, think of the people who have driven into a car park and then walk in the middle of the roadway as if they didn't know what it is like to drive. Getting upset about it though is a complete waste of energy and doesn't make anything change. Just like when DH shouts at other drivers, just puts his BP up. grin

Urmstongran Tue 05-Feb-19 15:13:59

That wouldn’t annoy me in the least. I’m a very patient person.
I think you are male?
This behaviour does irritate my husband though.
It must be man thing. They are often time & motion experts .... ⏱⏱

Farmor15 Tue 05-Feb-19 15:15:19

In Sweden they have a kind of divider at checkout so assistant can divert groceries into a different section for next customer - one person can be packing while the next person’s items are being scanned through and paid for. The divider means there’s no mixing up though takes a bit more space.

jusnoneed Tue 05-Feb-19 15:43:01

Our newest Lidl store has those Farmor, a good idea.
There are usually two of us when the weekly shop is due so packing done quite quickly but I don't worry if there is someone taking a minute to pay/pack in front of me. The thing that's get me annoyed is when there is no price on something and you have to wait for someone to be called, toddle off to hunt it down, return and then it's put through. Again Lidl have this sorted as they can ask through headphones.

If the person behind me only has one or two items I let them go ahead, have noticed not everyone does that.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Feb-19 15:55:42

I genuinely get nervous and flustered with shopping piling up, trying to put it into my bags.
I end up with triangular shaped bread, bruised fruit, all sorts.

mumofmadboys Tue 05-Feb-19 15:56:37

If waiting for a few minutes in the supermarket upsets you ,what about the other trials and tribulations of life? Calm down!

Lily65 Tue 05-Feb-19 16:10:07

Blimey! You must lead a charmed life if this is all you've got going on.

KatyK Tue 05-Feb-19 16:22:53

My DH always says 'look at the surprised look on that person's face when they realised they have to pay'

M0nica Tue 05-Feb-19 16:28:49

Wait until you have arthritis in your hands, or like me the tips of your fingers are partially numb.

Having said that, I am usually primed and prepared, but on a cold day when Raynaud's Syndrome means that all my fingers are numb almost to the palm of my hand, then I do slow down a bit.

DoraMarr Tue 05-Feb-19 16:37:57

I put all the groceries back in the basket or trolley, then pack after I’ve paid.
What annoys me is people who get to the end of the escalator then stop and look around/ have a conversation about where they are going, oblivious to the people piling up behind them. And, people who take up two seats on a busy bus or train: one for them, one for their bag. I ask them to move the bag, but feel I shouldn’t have to.

NanaandGrampy Tue 05-Feb-19 16:49:58

I read somewhere that Lidl checkout staff actually have a target of so much time to scan per item and to close the bill for that person which is why they whizz stuff through.

SueDonim Tue 05-Feb-19 17:01:13

I've just been talking to my mum and what she told me about her latest shopping trip will cause you complainers to have steam coming out of your ears! grin

The checkout assistant could see my mum was struggling a bit with her goods so she sent for a chair for mum to sit on while the assistant then ran the groceries through the till and packed them for her.

How much nicer to know there are kind and thoughtful people in this world as well as old grumps.

FountainPen Tue 05-Feb-19 17:04:14

Why are some people in such a rush?

MacCavity2 Tue 05-Feb-19 17:08:08

Sorry folks, I am that impatient person who hates the people who leave the trolly in the middle of the isle and toddles off to get something half a mile up the isle. Also the surprise when they have to pay (my mother did this).

But the thing that drives me nuts is so called female experts being interviewed on a serious subject who talk with a “ liddle girlie fluffy” voice, just how do they expect us to take them seriously. Is it just me? Old and crochety.

Day6 Tue 05-Feb-19 17:12:31

What I do find annoying is people at the front of the queue at traffic lights seem to find the changing of the lights from red to green a complete surprise and faff about and move off slowly only when they have been on green for a while!

My driving instructor always told me faffers and the indecisive tended to be the most dangerous drivers on the road. He used to tell me off if I was driving at 20mph in a 30mph mile zone. "Awareness, awareness!" he used to bark.

I do think some people are totally oblivious to others around them.

Nonnie Tue 05-Feb-19 17:29:21

I think it must be really irritating if you are rushing on your lunch break and someone is faffing in front of you. I still want to shout 'wake up' in places like Boots and M &S where you all stand in a queue and the person at the front seems to have gone to sleep and the poor till person has to shout NEXT. Why if they are only buying a couple of items have they not got the purse out? Doesn't annoy me now as I don't have to shop in a hurry but I can see what it must be like for those who do.

PECS Tue 05-Feb-19 18:02:34

Imaptience is a difficult trait to live with..permanently irritable I imagine.
I agree that having to wait an additionl 7- 10 minutes is annoying but the few seconds/ minutes for someone to sort out payment..nah!
Like the car driver who overtakes and is then the car in front of you at the lights 15 second later. Relax..what is so urgent?

maddy47 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:11:23

Don't you all have hand scanners in your supermarkets? We have, and I'm amazed how many people won't use them. Everything is packed into your bag before you even reach checkout, and, unless the store is extremely busy, there is no wait for an automatic checkout. Brilliant.