Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want my neighbours to move out?

(124 Posts)
jamsandwich Thu 07-Feb-19 16:32:57

My neighbours moved in 2 years ago and ever since we have been plagued by drama. On the surface they seem like decent enough people, say hello when we bump into them etc. But they have 2 very noisy dogs that bark incessantly whenever they go out. As I'm in most of the day while they're at work this drives me mad. Their relationship is also...a bit rocky. They drink a fair bit - this is their perogative I know but it does make them louder - and fight often, you can hear them through the walls (terraced house). She's dumped all his clothes on the front lawn before when she was supposedly chucking him out. It's all a bit much really. I've tried to keep myself to myself but it's just so hard to avoid. I've spoken to them about the dog noise before and they were very nice and promised to keep it down but there's been no real change. Any advice?

Newatthis Thu 07-Feb-19 16:55:09

How awful for you - a very tricky situation indeed. The RSPCA can intervene with regard to noisy dogs under 'noise pollution' but I'm not sure whether this would make things worse. Perhaps another word in their ear?

EllanVannin Thu 07-Feb-19 17:04:40

All you hear about every day of every week for long enough now are couples fighting/quarrelling separating, divorcing.
What's going on that didn't go on " back in the day ?"
I've yet to see or hear of true harmony.

Why is there no tolerance or acceptance ? Why aren't folk satisfied with what they've got ? ( which is more than what we had in the 6o's ) As my old dad used to say-----" you've made your bed-------" .

Speaking of tolerance, I wouldn't have much if I had neighbours like that !

jamsandwich Thu 07-Feb-19 17:11:23

If they were really obnoxious to me I think it might be more straightforward but they're quite friendly and seem quite normal face to face. It's only when they're in their own house behind closed doors that all the wheels seem to fall off. Which would be fine except for the fact that I can hear it all. Plus the dogs of course.

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Feb-19 17:30:13

If the dogs bark incessantly all day you could phone the Council:

www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council

I know how annoying it can be, thank goodness the dog that barked all day every day near us has moved. They used to put it out into the garden when they went to work.

Tartlet Thu 07-Feb-19 17:30:28

I think I’d be wishing for a change of neighbours too. As long as the change was for the better of course but there’s no certainty about that.

We are blessed with good neighbours here and I don’t like to think of who might replace them if they moved.

Luckygirl Thu 07-Feb-19 17:38:24

A lump of meat with a bit of valium in it hurled over the fence? - for the dogs of course, not the neighbours....although, come to think of it............ grin

Buffybee Thu 07-Feb-19 17:55:16

Hi jamsandwich, I have a dog of my own and I'm a dog lover but dogs barking all day would drive me mad.
Can you try to figure out if they are barking when they see or hear people walking past, or are they just barking none stop, at nothing in particular, which would be unusual.
If they're barking at noise at the front it would be quite easy for your neighbours to put them in a room at the rear of the house so they wouldn't be triggered so much.
It does seem to me that when you mentioned it to them before that your neighbour had done absolutely nothing about it.
Could you approach them by saying that you have trouble sleeping some nights and need to grab a few hours in the day and the dogs barking are making it impossible. Then you'll need to complain every other day.
If it is the dogs being triggered by noise at the front, you could then tell them what you've observed and ask them if they could perhaps put them somewhere at the back. You can be apologetic about it but say that it's making you quite ill.
If they do nothing after this, record the noise and play it to them, they may not realize how bad it is.
Then of course after that you can complain to the council and really who could blame you.
Good luck with it all.....?

MacCavity2 Thu 07-Feb-19 18:30:13

Luckygirl I’m with you on this! But seriously why do people who are out at work all day have dogs. Surely it’s not fair to the animals.

Nico97 Thu 07-Feb-19 18:39:32

Lucky girl grin

nanny2507 Thu 07-Feb-19 18:41:49

I am guilty of owning barking dogs..they go crazy when people walk past or when the postie comes...i dont hear it because I am at work. however my neighbours are the best in the world. they know the main culprit is very old and we probably havent go much time left with him....HOWEVER if they complained i would do everything in my power to stop them

Telly Thu 07-Feb-19 18:51:56

The dogs are either bored or suffering from separation anxiety. Something could be done but like all things with animals it takes time and work. You really need to speak to them again and ask them what action they will take. I would suggest an activity game, a kong (thats a rubber toy) stuffed with treats to keep them busy when they are initially left. The could also employ a dog walker to take them out.
I also totally agree that it is not reasonable to have a dog and then leave it alone all day. I would think that 3- 4 hours is the maximum, even then I would think that would be distressing for a puppy.
I would take further action as has been discussed if nothing changes. Hope you get some peace soon.

Lily65 Thu 07-Feb-19 18:52:49

Poor dogs should not be left alone all day.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 07-Feb-19 19:07:30

If the couple are out all day it could be that the dog is bored or lonely. Doyoulikedogs and could you maybe offer to walk it if you have time e once a day. As for the rest maybe have a word about the noise.

Urmstongran Thu 07-Feb-19 19:41:13

What would you do nanny2507 to keep your old, noisy barking dog quiet while you are in work all day? I’d genuinely like to know what you would do,
Actually why aren’t you doing it anyway to give your lovely neighbours some peace? Perhaps they don’t like to upset you. - but they have mentioned it to you as ‘you can’t hear it’ at work. Jeez. That’s selfish.

Auntieflo Thu 07-Feb-19 20:41:26

I sympathise Jamsandwich as we used to have neighbours that bred pedigree springer spaniels. We were not disturbed as much as the neighbours that were the other side, semi-detached. Could you begin to keep a diary of the dates and times, so that if it were necessary, you would have a reference of proof.

annep1 Thu 07-Feb-19 21:00:03

I hate inconsiderate neighbours.Its so selfish. I would never do anything to inconvenience or annoy my neighbours.

Engineered Thu 07-Feb-19 22:04:52

You have my sympathy, I too have inconsiderate neighbours. They seem to think I am the problem not them. DIY with no notice from 7am to 10pm 7 days a week lasting months. Peeling off my paint from placing tape on my wall. Trespassing cutting my shrubs because they don't like the insects it attracts. hmm

Foxyloxy Fri 08-Feb-19 07:53:50

Every Council deals with noise complaints, and some have dog wardens. Have a word with them, for hel and advice. I don’t think the RSPCA will be of any help, unless you can prove the dogs are being badly treated. Good luck, it must me so annoying.

PECS Fri 08-Feb-19 08:02:31

I can only offer sympathy and repeat what others have said.
Some couples do live a volatile life..they are so used to it it becomes normal which is not good for you ..or the couple.

Anja Fri 08-Feb-19 08:08:04

Buffy’s post is interesting. You might want to look out the window when the dogs bark and see what is triggering it. If it is passing pedestrians, etc. then rather than another complaint you could offer a solution.

Dog owners don’t want their dogs barking all day, any more than you do. Being left alone all day isn’t ideal either which is why many working people get a second dog as company for each other.

harrigran Fri 08-Feb-19 08:10:35

You have my sympathy regarding the noisy dogs, it is very wearing having to listen to noisy dogs all day.
My neighbours had a dog that lived 17 years and howled every single day, clearly had separation issues. I was demented and my blood pressure was through the roof.
Good luck with getting something done, I couldn't resolve the issue.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Feb-19 08:16:55

My sympathies dogs barking all day is dreadful
Pretty sure RSPCA will do nothing they barely come out for abuse What sort of dogs are they big/ small are they in the house or garden ?
Council might but you ll have to keep a log for so many days
You can’t do much about their relationship or quarrelling except keep your fingers crossed they split up soon

Grammaretto Fri 08-Feb-19 08:36:41

BlueBelle grin
I was just going to say that the way this pair are going they will surely break up or move.
My friend was so bothered by her neighbour, she moved.
Would you believe he then moved away so she could have stayed!

You must tell them jamsandwich maybe they don't realise how loud they are. Would earplugs work?
You could say I couldn't help hearing but maybe they don't care who hears.
It would drive me mad too. Could you enlist help from another neighbour?

Urmstongran Fri 08-Feb-19 08:51:09

Anja the OP said the next door neighbour has 2 barking dogs!