Gransnet forums

AIBU

Something that annoys me.

(128 Posts)
kittylester Sat 09-Feb-19 14:22:42

My real name is quite unusual and I use a shortened version. The shortened version can be spelt with or without an e on the end. I always use the e. My niece has the same name and doesn't. (She's wrong!!! grin)

AIBU to get really angry when people ignore my extra e? I know I am really but it infuriates me when I send a message or email and people don't take enough care to check.

Feel better now!!

nanasam Sat 09-Feb-19 14:31:49

The name I use is nothing like the name I was born with. When I worked for a huge American company we had to wear name badges. The IT department insisted on using my birth name, which I hate, because that was the name on my birth certificate. I had such a row with them because 1) nobody knew me by my birth name and 2) I felt it was a breach of confidentiality. I very nearly changed my name by Deed Poll but fortunately volunteered for early retirement so didn't have to. I am still tempted to change it legally, though.

Grannybags Sat 09-Feb-19 14:45:33

My name can either have an e or not. My parents gave me an e and I do get annoyed when it is missed off.

My neighbour has the same name with an e too and when we moved in we had a discussion about how we liked the e..... every year we get a card with my e missing! Really annoying!

kittylester Sat 09-Feb-19 15:16:47

Isn't it!!

KatyK Sat 09-Feb-19 15:22:09

I have a simple, easy to spell name. Some people, many of whom I've known for 50 years, still spell it wrong (wrongly?)

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 15:38:34

I spelt my own name with an 'e' for years until I looked at my birth certificate when applying for my first passport and realised it didn't have an 'e' blush

Some of my DGC get their names misspelt all the time - even though they are well-mannered children who always write thank you letters (you'd think people would notice). My DD get their names misspelt too.

rockgran Sat 09-Feb-19 15:43:09

My name gets misspelt all the time but I don't worry about it. At least I still have a name and am not just Mum, Mrs. or Grandma.

Nonnie Sat 09-Feb-19 15:53:50

My first and last names get misspelt often and it would not change a thing if I got annoyed about it so I don't. I still feel like my mil if anyone calls me Mrs Nonnie though, I am just not old enough!

SueDonim Sat 09-Feb-19 16:38:06

I have a name which has a male version. It irrationally annoys me when people use the male spelling.

Blinko Sat 09-Feb-19 16:40:18

There's a more common version of my name and of course most people want to spell it that way. Some people though have thought I was called either Geraldine, or Pamela. Neither is anything like my name or its more common alternative. In my next life, if I have a choice I shall be called Jane...

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:41:50

not Jayne, Blinko? wink

Lynnebo Sat 09-Feb-19 16:43:11

My name ends with an E as well. Many years ago I was joining a club and when the receptionist took my name she asked ‘with an E?’, I said yes. She then spelled my first name without an E but put one in the end of my surname!!!

BlueBelle Sat 09-Feb-19 17:05:30

My sons name can be pronounced two ways The right way and the wrong way it drives me crackers especially when I say it the right way and the person says oh yes and immediately pronounces it the wrong way It’s not even a hard name

kittylester Sat 09-Feb-19 17:30:16

I was quite often called Susan - which has absolutely no bearing on anything.

I blame Mrs Bucket My mother for wanting to be different.

janeainsworth Sat 09-Feb-19 17:50:06

Kitty I can understand your annoyance and I'm sure I would feel the same.
Anyone who inserted a 'y' into my name would be immediately removed from my Christmas card list grin
But as I get older I find it increasingly easy to make mistakes with names, and one's phone taking it upon itself to correct change spellings apparently on a whim, doesn't help either.
Recently I emailed a friend whose name is usually spelled with an a, but who actually spells it with an e.
It wasn't until they replied to my message that I realised I'd spelled their name wronglyblushblush
I was mortifiedblush

nanny2507 Sat 09-Feb-19 18:31:23

my name can be pronounced 2 ways and spelt 2 ways...i get very annoyed if my way is pronounced and spelt incorrect lol thistle thats me being prickly

kittylester Sat 09-Feb-19 18:51:07

Jane, I have a friend whose name is spelt Jayne but her nickname is Jayney - far too many ys to cope with.grin

showergelfresh Sat 09-Feb-19 19:07:54

Yes, it'd be best and more considerate to check you've spelled someone's name properly.
I think that's the right thing to do.
On the other hand some people find spelling in general difficult and its equally important to remember that - to be considerate too.

JackyB Sat 09-Feb-19 21:03:32

I am Jacky in real life, too. That's how it was spelt back in the 50s. Now most people try and spell it with a variation using the 'q' or at best with the "ie" ending. And written out in full, the Germans invariably get it wrong. Most annoying, but not half as much as when they try and pronounce it!

It was great for "grandmother's footsteps" though!

Maggiemaybe Sat 09-Feb-19 21:16:58

I get Maggy, Meggie, even Magi, as well as the dreaded Margaret, and more versions of my surname than I could shake a stick at. As long as I don’t get forgotten I don’t care!

Chewbacca Sat 09-Feb-19 21:25:05

My name is quite unusual and has an unusual spelling and so I always spell it out to new acquaintances and business contacts. I also have it written out, in full, at the bottom of my professional emails. I can't tell you how many times a day I get called by what people think I'm called, instead of what I'm actually called. And even though they have to look at the foot of my email, to obtain my phone number, they still respond by calling me the wrong name. It's very annoying.

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 21:27:30

Chewbacca is definitely quite unusual!

It could be Choobacker ….. anything really.

Day6 Sat 09-Feb-19 21:34:36

I have three friends who are Ann/es and two who are Carol/es.

I always have to get my address book out to make sure that I get the correct version of their names when I write to them.

The one Anne is quite materialistic and has to get the latest everything, so I know she is the one with the e on the end. I always remember "She wants more". grin

Kitty, I would be annoyed too by the missing e.

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Feb-19 09:39:50

One of my family is very senior in her profession and also has a name that is close to its male equivalent (think Carl/Carla). It’s astounding how many people misread her name and assume she’s male. Now that is annoying in this day and age.

Humbertbear Sun 10-Feb-19 09:51:11

We always have to spell our surname as it has alternative spellings. We do it as a matter of course and we trained the children to do it when they were little. My DIL changed her name was she married into the family and we all fell about laughing when she said’ I always have to spell my surname’