Gransnet forums

AIBU

Has she gone too far?

(68 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:07:14

Talking to a lady down at the shops. She apparently lives in the street behind me although I didn't know her name before.
She asked me how is your grandson x enjoying his change of school? How did you know about that I asked. Saw it on Facebook she said. Now I feel as if I have been stalked!How can people be so nosy?

MawBroon Thu 28-Feb-19 14:08:34

She may know your DD/DIL.
How else would she have known?

RosieLeah Thu 28-Feb-19 14:08:56

If you don't want everyone to know, why put it on Facebook? Perhaps you need to change your settings to 'private'.

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-Feb-19 14:28:12

Gone too far with what? If you put information out there, you can’t blame people for seeing it!

MissAdventure Thu 28-Feb-19 14:39:32

Someone has put the info out there, so you can't blame people for browsing it.

Anja Thu 28-Feb-19 15:11:19

Check if you have a ‘mutual’ friend. If not then your privacy settings need sorting.

kircubbin2000 Thu 28-Feb-19 15:32:02

It must have been DD?. I don't post personal stuff.

ginny Thu 28-Feb-19 15:59:53

Ah well then. Can’ t really blame the lady for reading what is on her own ‘phone / tablet/ IPad.

Millie22 Thu 28-Feb-19 16:32:53

Sounds to me like she was just being friendly.

sodapop Thu 28-Feb-19 17:43:04

If the information is out there then you can hardly complain if people read it kircubbin
I don't understand why people feel the need to inform the world about their family and personal lives. Yes I'm aware its an old fashioned attitude but we hear such a lot about children being at risk from Internet predators.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Feb-19 18:30:30

Yes you are being unreasonable I m afraid someone has posted the information on FB hoping people will see it and comment on it so that is all the acquaintance has done

harrysgran Fri 01-Mar-19 09:44:57

I don't think you are being stalked the lady just made a comment on something that had been written for others to see sounds like a friendly neighbour which we could all do with

AlgeswifeVal Fri 01-Mar-19 09:45:06

I agree with BlueBelle. You are being unreasonable. It was nothing scandalous to read about. I hope the little lad gets on well in his new school.

razzmatazz Fri 01-Mar-19 09:45:53

Change your settings to 'Friends only' then only the people on the list can see your postings not the whole world which can be risky. YOU choose the people who can see your posts. I use Facebook to keep up to date with my family and friends.

moonbeames Fri 01-Mar-19 09:46:42

She might just have been friendly. I don't put much at all on facebook for that reason, its private. If I want someone to know something I will tell them. Private.

Littleannie Fri 01-Mar-19 09:55:02

Why on earth do people want to use Facebook in the first place?

ReadyMeals Fri 01-Mar-19 09:58:17

You need to set your privacy settings so that only "Friends" can read your posts. Unless you post your news onto local groups, in which case anyone who belongs to that group can read the posts. Your neighbors are likely to belong to the same local groups as you.

Pollyanna2 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:58:34

There's not much in the way of family news I can pass on to my family these days - even talking on the phone to my sister in Canada - she's seen it all on facebook and sometimes can keep ME up to date with what my family in uk are up to!!

Lewie Fri 01-Mar-19 10:03:01

But aren’t people doing the same here on Gransnet? Lots of personal stuff seems to be shared.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Mar-19 10:05:38

Yes, and it can end up on Facebook and Twitter.
We don't have profiles though, or two many pictures, so that's something.

NanaandGrampy Fri 01-Mar-19 10:07:40

Sounds like it’s your DD s fault the info is out there then and that the lady was just asking anfriendly question that you could have quite honestly answered with a ‘ fine , thanks for asking’ response.

It’s not like she asked for your bank password ??

MaggieMay69 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:12:01

In answer to why do people like facebook, I like it as I've won a lot of prizes there lol - But agree; if the information is there, people assume its to be read! lol

Annaram1 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:12:13

Stay away from Facebook, There are always bad reports about it on TV. The lady was just being friendly, not a stalker.

Larsonsmum Fri 01-Mar-19 10:28:16

Your attitude seems crazy to me, and totally OTT. No way is this chatty & friendly lady a stalker - what an insult to her.

She sounds to me like she is genuinely interested in other people - something which is becoming rare these days, more the pity, She is not even nosey in my book.

In my late Mum and Gran's day these are the dear ladies who would sit at their window smiling as they watched people go about their business, stand at their door or gate passing the time of day with others going by, or chat with others in the corner shop.

It is what is called neighbourly - again something which is sadly becoming a thing of the past.

As far as the Facebook connection goes - for many facebook has replaced that old-fashioned neighbourliness, and for most people that is a good thing. They want someone admiring their baby or toddler's picture, or their dog photos, or their new car, as people in a street would have done in the past.

Please, please consider what a massive slur your insinuation/allegation about this lady is - an insult that could damage this poor lady's reputation were you to be discussing her with others in your neighbourhood as you have done here.

glammanana Fri 01-Mar-19 10:31:03

Obviously you have mutual friends so you need to reset your setting to private,the lady concerned was not being a stalker she was just being friendly.