Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I, er, unreasonable to be, er, irritated by, er, this

(35 Posts)
callgirl1 Mon 04-Mar-19 17:21:23

Anyone remember Bill Shankly and his long drawn out "eerrr" s, several in every sentence?

Oldwoman70 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:57:42

Oh the mumbling gets me too!! A presenter on local radio last week was listing the people appearing at an event later this year. I spent part of the day thinking a group named Grey Stones was appearing - seems she was really saying Grace Jones!!

Nanabilly Mon 04-Mar-19 14:50:45

Annoys the heck out of me too . h
I did not realise that Robert Peston had/has a stammer . Probably explains why he has a slight delay in his speech at times.
I have hearing problems and some programmes I just cannot hear at all . Never thought to use subtitles though !

WeepingWidow Mon 04-Mar-19 14:40:03

Haha. For me it’s the mumbling. So much mumbling! My hearing is perfect, I’m only 55, but I have to have subtitles on anything made after about 2010 due to the mumbling. My children laugh at me because I consistently scream “Enunciate for goodness sake boy” at the TV grin

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Mar-19 20:07:03

when I say forgive I expect to be jumped on grin but I had a good friend who had a terrible stammer and he never let it stop him from doing what he wanted to do.
(Good on you, Nick. smile)

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Mar-19 20:05:17

I can forgive Robert Peston and others who used to have a stammer and has overcome it but otherwise grrrrrrrr

MissAdventure Fri 01-Mar-19 19:50:04

Once you pick up on it, it's so distracting.
I find myself counting them.

EllanVannin Fri 01-Mar-19 19:29:18

If they're not in acting mode, they have difficulty in stringing a sentence together.

MawBroon Fri 01-Mar-19 19:29:11

I blame Tony Blair and all the pauses he used to insert before totally unimportant words!

HurdyGurdy Fri 01-Mar-19 19:24:12

Where on earth did this ridiculous habit come from?

It seems that no actor can deliver a set of lines, without injecting errrrrrr every couple of words.

No matter what programme I watch, my ears are assaulted by this awful habit. Is it actually scripted? Or is it just that the actors have all latched onto it and it's a growing trend.