Gransnet forums

AIBU

Worse ever

(53 Posts)
Mycatisahacker Thu 21-Mar-19 13:27:00

Aibu to think that we have both the worst PM and the worst opposition leader in my life time? I am 54. Anyone else agree?

glammanana Thu 21-Mar-19 13:28:35

Not far wrong.

GrandmaMoira Thu 21-Mar-19 13:37:32

I do think the two main political parties are now much more extreme right and left. I think most of us would prefer moderate/centre left or right.

Day6 Thu 21-Mar-19 13:38:22

Cannot agree that May is the orst PM.

She has had the worst task of any Prime Minister I can remember, and her whole term of office has been dictated by Brexit, which is a shame.

I'd agree that I have no faith in Corbyn. Good question as I am trying to think back to former party leaders. I had reservations about Michael Foot but I quite liked him. Major was a grey man, wasn't he?

I think Brexit has coloured everything and made May such an easy target of scorn, which is undeserved.

Mycatisahacker Thu 21-Mar-19 13:39:18

So yesterday the PM flounced in front of the camera and literally bitched about MPs while Corbyn although happy to talk to known terrorists flounced out of No 10 because Chukkah was there.

For Gods sake can you imagine this level of incompetence from Thatcher/Kinnock/Blaire etc. They had their many faults but for all that they were leaders!

Mycatisahacker Thu 21-Mar-19 13:43:39

But Day6 she hasn’t made it in any way easy for herself. Of course it’s a poisoned challace but she should have approached it from the beginning as a cross party approach.

I get her party, as is the country divided, but she has no charm or leadership to take others with her.

Mycatisahacker Thu 21-Mar-19 13:44:40

Oh Corbyn is unpleasant and hopeless. Michael Foot too was hopeless but essentially I think a good man. Corbyn is rotton.

blondenana Thu 21-Mar-19 13:48:30

I think the worst PM ever was David Cameron, he started the Brexit referendum then did a runner, but TM is the second worst imo
I have no idea who i will vote for in the upcoming elections, but it wont be the Conservatives, never have and never will, always voted labour, but dont like JC much either,otherwise it would be labour again
The Tories do not care about the ordinary people, just look at the Universal credit fiasco, more homeless, people being evicted because they cant keep up with the rent,
I had never heard of food bans until the Tories came intp power
They dont care about animal cruelty, and would make fox hunting legal again, not that they do anything about it being illegal
One rule for them another for us

crystaltipps Thu 21-Mar-19 13:52:37

John Major was charisma central compared to May. Agree all awful we need a revolution to get rid of the lot of them.

janeainsworth Thu 21-Mar-19 14:05:58

all awful we need a revolution to get rid of the lot of them
Be careful what you wish for, crystal.
It might be the wrong sort of revolution.

EllanVannin Thu 21-Mar-19 14:08:53

This country has always been divided by the haves and have-nots and not one leader has ever recognised it. I therefore have little faith in anyone.

I remember Frank Field once making a speech about poverty in his constituency particularly and it fell on deaf ears. That did it for me. He's been flogging a dead horse for years.

Once upon a time Labour was for the working class but not any more as all Labour MP's own two or three properties and no doubt have off-shore bank accounts . Working class ? I don't think so ! They must be laughing their heads off at all their constituents who've made them millionaires----equal to their opposing party who were always renowned for being wealthy. Crafty beggars added the word " new " to their party in order to justify their " new " found wealth. They don't fool me !

Right now, Corbyn is the worst Labour party leader that this country has ever had.

Mycatisahacker Thu 21-Mar-19 14:11:21

blondenanna

Agree with you but would still put her ahead of Cameron.

I too cannot contemplate who on earth to vote for!

I can’t vote labour while the front bench contains Abbott and Corbyn and the Lib Dem’s are nice but pretty hopeless.

I think May has signed her ‘death warrant’ with her flounce yesterday and I expect a vote of no confidence next week.

But a Corbyn led government actually scares me more and in my view would do more damage than a no deal Brexit.

BlueBelle Thu 21-Mar-19 14:13:05

They are all awful not a pin prick between any of them Wouldn’t want ANY of them or the hangers on We have no reasonable person to vote for The only person I have any time for is Caroline Lucas but just not enough people involved with the greens to make a difference

Mycatisahacker Thu 21-Mar-19 14:15:35

I think Kinnock was a decent leader and a shame he didn’t make PM.

He was working class and understood how ordinary people live.

What a crew.

Telly Thu 21-Mar-19 14:15:55

I have long thought that we would not be in this mess if we had a decent opposition. In fact if David Milliband had been elected leader instead of Ed then we would probably have a labour government. The problem is that we have a real and fundamental split, there was never going to be an agreement or agreed withdrawal as they are just too far apart. I read an article on Monday in the Guardian about the current mess we are in and the link to our public school system. This has been at the back of my mind for a while now. We do not allow the best to rise, it is a question of who they know, not what.

Mycatisahacker Thu 21-Mar-19 14:18:30

I think there are decent MPs but they are back benchers! Caroline Flint, Yvette Cooper Hillary Benn etc but unfortunately it’s the crap incompetent ones on the front bench.

Abbott, long Bailey, Butler, all awful lightweights.

Mycatisahacker Thu 21-Mar-19 14:20:24

David milleband would never have allowed the introduction of the cheap membership! Ed was just stupid to not see what would happen.

sodapop Thu 21-Mar-19 17:20:23

Kinnock was too busy on the MEP gravy train to think of anyone else as was his wife.

TM has made mistakes but until recently has given the job her all. I wouldn't wish her role on anyone at the moment. I really can't think of anyone in Government who is fit to be PM.

Poppyred Thu 21-Mar-19 17:42:51

Tony Blair was the worst ever followed closely by his side kick Gordon Brown.They both sold the UK down the river and we will never recover from that unfortunately.

David Cameron has to be third. Offering us a way out of the EU and then doing a runner. I feel sorry for TM, but she is sticking it out. However she should have demanded a much better deal for us so she has no one but herself to blame.
WHAT A BLOODY MESS ???

Mycatisahacker Fri 22-Mar-19 00:15:31

poppyred

Tony won elections. He rebuilt all the schools in Worcestershire where my kids were educated which the Tories would t have and transformed the NHS I know because I worked in it.

Iraq was awful of course but seriously you can’t call him a failure. He won elections for labour which this twat Corbyn won’t.

paddyann Fri 22-Mar-19 00:30:11

I'm not a labour supporter but even I can admit Blair did a lot of good for the people who needed it most ,Gordon Brown got the blame of a worldwide recession that obviously wasn't his fault.I think if Iraq hadn't happened people would have voted labour back in .I'm just grateful we have SNP who are doing their best for those in need

boat Fri 22-Mar-19 05:01:49

Actually I think that David Cameron was the worst; he got us into this mess by lack of thought. TM comes a close second but I think she may have Asperger's Syndrome which would explain some of her behaviour and that I can forgive.

As for the leader of the opposition! Having voted Labour all of my life (except once back in the 70's tactically voting Liberal in North Kensington; Norman Lamont got in anyway) but never being a party member I joined to vote for him. I'm glad I did!

He has taken us back to the roots of the Labour Movement. What is wrong about a country looking after all of it's citizens not just the well off?

This is not Hard Left! Hard Left is when you want to line the Royal Family up against a wall and shoot them. I don't think that was in the manifesto.

I agree that it turns out he is actually not a good leader for the party and hope that if in the next General Election Labour come to power he will have the sense to stand down in favour of someone who would be better at it.

Mycatisahacker Fri 22-Mar-19 09:44:36

boat

It’s people who voted Corbyn in are responsible for the death of labour and u am sorry but you should be ashamed of yourself!

Of course he won’t step down until labour is decimated because he’s not labour he’s a communist. Always was.

As for being hard left is shooting the royal family I think that’s outrageous. Left wing does not a murderer make.

Mycatisahacker Fri 22-Mar-19 09:45:51

Blaire also supported sure start and poured millions into education.

eazybee Fri 22-Mar-19 10:42:04

Edward Heath and Harold Wilson were both devious and duplicitous politicians but much of what they did is still 'undisclosed information.'
We are far more aware of political events than we used to be because of twenty-four hour media coverage.

That said, I do agree with the OP.