Gransnet forums

AIBU

Finding the first chapter of a new book at the end of the one I'm reading!

(29 Posts)
trisher Mon 08-Apr-19 10:00:37

I'm fed up of thinking I have a nice long, satisfactory ending to look forward to because there are quite a few pages left in the book I'm reading, only to find the story wound up in a few pages, and the last pages are the first chapter of a new book. I don't read them. I'm still fuming about being short changed by the book I have just finished. Why do they do it? It actually puts me off the author and the books. I don't want to read one chapter and then have to go looking for the book and I want the book I was reading to have the nice long ending I expected.

Tuppnce Mon 08-Apr-19 10:06:30

I agree - particularly annoying on Kindle

sodapop Mon 08-Apr-19 10:23:00

Yes I agree and I don't want to read a few pages of a new book either.
The other thing I don't like is authors releasing an earlier book under a new title grrr

Caledonai14 Mon 08-Apr-19 10:28:50

Ohh it's one of my pet hates. I always check what's at the top of the last chapter now. If it says 2 or 3 I know not to be so surprised.

A much better idea in one of the Lee Child books was to add on a short story about the main character. The story was later included in a collection of shorts, but it was much nicer to have a conclusion in the "continued reading" so I didn't mind.

The "start of the new" must work or I'm sure the publishers wouldn't spend so much on the extra pages.

Very unfair though and, if you do give in and read it, takes some of the pleasure from reading the next book when you do buy it.

I want new from start to finish smile.

jaylucy Mon 08-Apr-19 10:29:07

This seems to be happening more and more - that and books that seem to have an author that has been told that the novel must be in no more than so many pages, so the story ends abruptly!
Most frustrating with the first chapter of new book by that author is that I can never actually find it to buy!

TerriBull Mon 08-Apr-19 10:40:39

It's to hook the reader in, to ensure that they will rush off and buy the author's next book, possibly still to be published. Hoping that it will nevertheless have registered in the mind of the reader. I presume!

Miep1 Mon 08-Apr-19 11:17:13

Drives me nuts. Especially when I give in and read the first few pages, then quite some time later go to the library. Picking up a book to see if ;I've read it I then can't work out if I have read the whole thing or only the first few pages. OK my memory isn't what it might be!

Septimia Mon 08-Apr-19 11:37:44

It annoys me, too, not only because it means that there's less of the book I'm reading left for me to finish, but because they (the publishers? the author?) assume that I will read the bit from the new book and then go and buy it. They couldn't be more wrong. What a waste of paper and ink!

SueDonim Mon 08-Apr-19 13:52:36

It annoys me, too. I don't mind a half page informing me of other titles by the same author, but a whole chapter?

I do find that endings are often rushed nowadays, as though the author has got bored of their own tale so decided to tie up the ends and go off and make a cup of tea. hmm

Eleanor21 Mon 08-Apr-19 14:01:21

I didn’t have time to read more than the first few pages of my book group book so just read the last chapter and commented on that. I couldn’t see why everyone was laughing!

trisher Mon 08-Apr-19 14:03:14

I'm so pleased this annoys others. I woke up this morning thought I would just finish off my novel ( a thriller) before I got up- just about a chapter to go. Book finished abruptly in 3 pages and I was left with an unsatisfactory ending and the first chapter of a book I didn't want to read!!!! GRRRR!!!!

trisher Mon 08-Apr-19 14:05:49

Nice one Eleanor21 grin

GrannyGravy13 Mon 08-Apr-19 14:06:06

trisher this drives me loopy........... on kindle and physical books, especially one I am totally absorbed in. Thinking there are lots of pages/chapters to go and then finito!!!!!

giulia Mon 08-Apr-19 15:31:13

I am aware of this and find it irritating so, before I actually start a new book, I flip the back pages and turn down (Yes! turn down) the corner of the first page of the new book chapter. That way, I am aware of where the real ending will be.

Poppyred Mon 08-Apr-19 15:56:20

I must be the only one who likes having this, helps me decide whether I want to read the next book or not ...

sodapop Mon 08-Apr-19 16:01:53

How could you giulia - use a book mark.

Mycatisahacker Mon 08-Apr-19 18:58:51

I am wierd as I only read books if I read the last chapter first. I have to know how it ends before I read it!

I know I know.

RedRidingHood Mon 08-Apr-19 19:02:29

I have learned not to read them because when I later pick the new book up I think I've read it and I have only read the first chapter.

sodapop Mon 08-Apr-19 19:45:40

Yes I did that RedRidinghood that's another reason I don't want a new chapter tacked on the end of my book.

giulia Tue 09-Apr-19 12:34:08

sodapop You're quite right but - I find bookmarks often fall out.

Elrel Thu 18-Apr-19 18:02:50

Poppyred
As the first chapter is usually by the same author I’m happy to read it.1

Elrel Thu 18-Apr-19 18:09:16

Some bookmarks have magnets so don’t slip out.

Elrel Thu 18-Apr-19 18:11:53

Mycat - You’re not the only one - a friend who does that is a librarian!

toscalily Thu 18-Apr-19 19:55:31

I agree and it seems to happen more and more whether on a Kindle or a book. Surely if they have put the list of of books written previously at the front of the book and you have enjoyed reading it you will look for more by the same writer.
Eleanor21 grin

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 20:06:55

It often happens when the book you're reading finishing in rather a rush - and you are supposed to buy the next one as it's a sequel.

However, I don't mind that much as, if I've enjoyed the book, I may want to read something else by the same author.
It's a good marketing ploy.