Gransnet forums

AIBU

Avoiding politics

(137 Posts)
J52 Wed 17-Apr-19 19:24:39

Kittygrin

Alima Wed 17-Apr-19 19:22:58

I am very interested in politics normally. Feel really let down at the moment, what is the point, whatever is voted for is seemingly overruled. Trying to voice any political opinion on GN appears to leave one open to ridicule and accusations of far right leanings. Aside from GN, today for the first time ever I avoided the canvassers at the door, just couldn’t be bothered.

Bellanonna Wed 17-Apr-19 19:22:05

Beckett, you’ve said it for me, and far more succinctly than I could have done.

kittylester Wed 17-Apr-19 19:15:50

And me.

I'm following you around and agreeing with you today j52.

J52 Wed 17-Apr-19 19:08:30

I’m of the same opinion as Beckett.

Framilode Wed 17-Apr-19 19:06:43

I am massively interested in politics. Whatever your views, this last year has been the most fascinating. politically, that I can remember.

My husband and I both wonder what we will have to talk about when Brexit is sorted.

varian Wed 17-Apr-19 19:01:50

I ask the question partly about GNetters, but also because I was speaking to someone recently who told me he hardly ever bothered to vote because he didn't think his one vote could make a difference and anyway he couldn't be bothered going out to vote after a day's work. He'd rather go to the gym!

I have never in my adult life missed the opportunity to vote and I will argue politics with others, in a nice way if I can, although I admit that brexit is such a divisive issue that in some circumstances it is best avoided.

Mycatisahacker Wed 17-Apr-19 18:56:16

I think in rl people have never been to interested even if they feel the politicians are a pretty dreadful bunch at the moment

Beckett Wed 17-Apr-19 18:54:25

I wonder if only a limited number of GNs comment on the politics threads because they so often descend into arguments. I take an interest in politics but don't see why I should unnecessarily open myself up to abuse from strangers.

KatyK Wed 17-Apr-19 18:52:25

I' not remotely interested in politics. I know I should be but I'm not. My DH is the opposite.

Riverwalk Wed 17-Apr-19 18:44:20

You must be mixing in the wrong circles Varian - most people I know are very interested in politics.

I don't think the majority have opted out - particularly with all that's going on in the UK.

varian Wed 17-Apr-19 18:33:51

I belong to that small minority of folk that are actually interested in politics, and I notice that the GN politics posters, who have a good range of strongly held opinions, are probably quite a small minority of GNetters.

What I'd really like to know is why so many just seem to opt out. Is it because you think-

"they're all the same"
"living in a safe seat it doesn't matter who I vote for"
"bored of brexit"
"political discussion only leads to argument"

or for some other reason?