Gransnet forums

AIBU

ROAD RAGE

(43 Posts)
SalsaQueen Wed 08-May-19 21:32:43

I'd been to a garden centre with my son today, and as I drove out carefully (it's 60mph country lane with no road markings), some moron drove along very fast behind me, gesturing and shouting that I wasn't moving quickly enough. I certainly don't drive slowly, ever......but it's a sharp turn out of the garden centre, and it was raining. The bloke didn't have to brake or anything, so I don't know what his problem was

He drove behind me for 1/2 a mile, and when I had to stop at some temporary lights, he got out of his car, came up to my window, banged on it, ranting and raving.... he hadn't banked on my son being 6ft 2 and 15st!! My son shouted "Get back in your car and drove on!" The shock of my son (he's got a very loud and deep voice) shouting back at him clearly concerned him, and he sloped off back to his vehicle.

It all made me wonder, though - why do some people get into a rage about nothing? and what makes them so confrontational to a 5ft 1in, 60yr old woman?

SirChenjin Wed 08-May-19 21:38:14

It’s not clear from your post, sorry - did you pull out in front of him?

No idea why some people (mainly men) feel the need to be so aggressive behind the wheel. Feelings of inadequacy probably, which manifests itself in bullying behaviour as a way of making themselves feel bigger and better about themselves (which backfired spectacularly on this occasion!).

SalsaQueen Wed 08-May-19 21:42:38

SirChenjin ...No, I was already out of the carpark and onto the road but hadn't had time to accelerate up to 60. He was driving too fast and thought I ought to as well, I suppose. My son said afterwards "Nobody talks to my Mum like that". I was so proud smile

Sara65 Wed 08-May-19 21:43:42

I think it’s quite scary, I’ve had a couple of instances lately, where other drivers have acted aggressively, never at any point in danger of having any kind of accident, just me driving within the speed limit! I don’t want anymore points on my license! A couple of weeks ago, some lunatic was right up behind all through our village, and when I stopped at some temporary traffic lights, he pulled in front of me!

What in the world is wrong with people!

SirChenjin Wed 08-May-19 21:49:02

Well done your son Salsa - you’ve raised a good ‘un there ? Hopefully speedy Gonzales will think twice before he decides to try and intimidate another driver - getting out of your car to confront another driver is never a good idea. What a prize idiot the other driver was angry

Madgran77 Wed 08-May-19 21:52:15

Ridiculous way to behave and scary! It is SO wrong that he thought he could get away with it presumably because he saw it was an "older" woman (you know what I mean!!) but then slopes off when confronted with a bloke! Honestly some people!! And if it had been me IO would have been scared and demoralised ...and that doesn't happen to me very easily!!! flowers

Gonegirl Wed 08-May-19 22:16:20

Wonder if he was on drugs.

petra Wed 08-May-19 22:35:15

If someone had come ranting at my car window I would have shown him the Mace spray. If he didn't take the warning I would have used it.

SalsaQueen Wed 08-May-19 22:58:55

When I saw him getting out of his car, I quickly put my locks on. Yes, my son (I've got 2 sons) is very protective of me and has the utmost respect for women. I bet the muppet in the other car wouldn't like someone speaking to his mother in that way. Little sod.

Lilypops Wed 08-May-19 23:12:29

Sirchenjin. I,ve just realised what your name is , I thought you were of Russian descent !!!, very clever,

Sussexborn Wed 08-May-19 23:33:48

We had a hair raising experience when a driver sat right on our tail, pulled out to overtake and had to pull back in sharply, then overtook us on a blind bend!

janeainsworth Wed 08-May-19 23:50:05

Lilypops
Sirchenjin. I,ve just realised what your name is , I thought you were of Russian descent !!!, very clever

Haha! I thought they were Chinese with delusions of grandeurgrin

DillytheGardener Thu 09-May-19 00:55:58

I like the cut of your son’s jib. You’ve done a good job raising him. Also two tall boys like mine. Did it cost you a fortune too in feeding them too? Hope you’re over your fright. Sounds like a ghastly little man, I pity his wife being married to such a nasty piece of work

Witzend Thu 09-May-19 07:35:05

Some people are just utter prats.

A friend of mine had similar - some bloke yelling and screaming at her through the window.
However, lying in the back of her estate car was the biggest of her huge dogs (Newfoundlands) - always very protective of her - this one sat up with a start and uttered his scariest, very deep WOOF!!
Friend didn't see the bloke for dust! Served the bugger right.

M0nica Thu 09-May-19 07:36:46

Road rage is becoming a fact of life. I doubt that this man in a car behind you could actually see you and he wouldn't have known your age and size until he accosted you at the traffic lights. He was just a pushy b*******d who was angry about something or in a rush to go somewhere or just one of those people who expect everybody to do what they want all the time and took his rage out on anyone he considered had got in his way.

About 20 years ago a lorry driver got out of his lorry and hammered on my rear car window at the top of a motorway slip road. I have no idea what I had done to offend him, but even if I had done something wrong, we all deal with bad/incompetent/careless driving in other people everyday and none but the tiniest proportion react in this way. Their behaviour is unacceptable and I am glad you had your son with you, salsaqueen to frighten him off.

SirChenjin Thu 09-May-19 07:43:55

grin jane and lily

bikergran Thu 09-May-19 08:10:36

I think its always good to have a dash cam you can then hopefully report these morons to the police.

Bellanonna Thu 09-May-19 09:14:35

SirChenjin! I get it! Always thought you were male!
What’s mace spray please, Petra?

Beckett Thu 09-May-19 09:25:43

I don't know where Petra lives but mace spray is illegal in UK (it's a kind of pepper spray Bella - which is also illegal). Yesterday I was overtaken by an idiot at speed - there was very heavy rain and the roads were slippery - he came to a junction slammed on his brakes and slid halfway across the road, fortunately the car coming towards him was driving at a reasonable speed and was able to avoid him. I followed him for a couple of miles after that and his speed was much slower.

SalsaQueen Thu 09-May-19 09:27:40

DillytheGardener ...yes, both my boys are tall, and they used to eat a lot (my husband is 5ft 9). The bloke only looked about 30 (younger than my sons), and wasn't driving some flash car...it was a very worn-out old H reg estate. The clown grin. I HAVE got a dashcam, so I'll have to look on there. I'm off on holiday today, though, so I'll look when I get back.

Grammaretto Thu 09-May-19 09:30:16

Well done and lucky you that your son's presence shocked him enough but I would never advocate fighting back or threatening mace spray.
You have no idea about this man. There have been murders committed for less.
I always slow down and let them overtake.
Some years back a man drove through the night from England to Scotland and crashed his car into an historic inn. By a stroke of luck he only killed himself though the building was destroyed.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4431524.stm

SirChenjin Thu 09-May-19 09:36:07

Definitely female Bella grin

SalsaQueen Thu 09-May-19 09:42:56

Grammaretto....I agree, some fools carry knives with them these days, which is why I locked the doors from inside and only opened my window a fraction.

Another incident recently - I had parked in a bay at a local corner shop, and when I returned to my car, some utter chump had parked across the back of me, so blocking me in (and preventing anyone from getting into the carpark. His passenger was no help when I asked her to kindly move. I waited for 10 minutes, then went into the shop and located the driver - a nasty-looking young bloke with huge muscles (the kind who look as though there's an invisible rolled-up carpet under each arm). I asked him very nicely how long he'd be...and got a load of abuse. The things he suggested I do to myself would've meant me being a contortionist! I waited outside, only to hear his ranting and swearing (in front of his toddler) as I retreated to my car....

annodomini Thu 09-May-19 10:31:46

I thought I was in for a confrontation when, in a queue of traffic, I saw (in my mirror) an irate looking bloke emerge from his car and come striding towards me. I locked my doors but then, to my relief, he stopped at the car behind mine at which point the queue moved and I never found out what he was on about. My strapping sons (one of them a cop) live too far away to be protection, but they would certainly defend me if the need arose - three grandsons are also going to be big and scary!

EllanVannin Thu 09-May-19 11:55:17

What IS the need for confrontation with these people ? They're in queues everywhere too watching and waiting in case anyone inadvertently steps out of place and in a flash are " in your face " Why ??