Gransnet forums

AIBU

Breasts bums and muffin tops!

(110 Posts)
Namsnanny Sun 12-May-19 14:29:09

The suns out and it’s that time again!
Can’t stand to see normal men rubber necking (twisting their necks this way and that) yo get a glimpse of young girls wobbly bits, which are more than on show this time of year!
Men’s reactions aside, I just don’t like seeing so much flesh on show, no matter what age or gender!
Before anyone asks, I too was as senseless as today’s youth, and wore revealing clothing in yesteryear!!
I guess things never change really.

KatyK Wed 15-May-19 10:49:02

I am probably a bit resentful that there is so much help for the obese - gastric bands/bypasses and whatever. When I lost my hair I was suicidal. I was told 'it's bad luck' and 'get a wig' despite having spent (probably) over a thousand pounds trying to help myself. I haven't been the same person since.

Alexa Wed 15-May-19 10:31:52

Boosgran you are right about the cost to the NHS of junk food. It's not always the fault of people who eat junk food it's more the fault of the junk food industry and its retailers. People are what they are and blaming them won't inform them. It's a matter of fact that many people believe advertisers' claims about junk food being good for them. The sales pressures to buy junk food include seductive misleading packaging and images of successful slim people eating it.

Junk food is often easier to prepare, because people don't teach kids to cook. It's not generally known that it's easy to throw some macaroni into a pot and boil it and then stir in some oil and some chopped up vegetables .

Poppyred Wed 15-May-19 10:03:24

Everyone on here is expressing an opinion! Is that not allowed anymore?

We are not passing on the comments to the perpetrators of bad taste just saying that we don’t understand what makes them do it!

Watch out...thought police about!

Boosgran Wed 15-May-19 09:57:47

For me it’s nothing to do with how you look. It’s a health issue pure and simple. My GP told me type 2 diabetes is on the increase and that is directly related to diet and lifestyle. I have no problem with people that are overweight due to various medical conditions but people that eat junk and don’t exercise then expect the NHS to sort out their health problems due to their lifestyle choices is just plain wrong.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-May-19 09:45:50

It's mental health awareness week this week.

I think posters need to have a look at themselves and ask why they need to be so judgemental and sometimes outright nasty to other human beings.

People have so many pressures on them today, maybe they have just thrown on the only clean clothes that are available, or even the only clothes they have.

Perhaps they have put on a few pounds since the weather was last warm and sunny and cannot afford to buy new ones.

I would not have tattoos, but I respect the rights of others to have as many as they wish.

I fear that Gransnett is reflecting the fact that society is turning into an extremely judgemental jungle. Often filled with hatred of anything/anyone that presents different to us or how we perceive "things/people" should be /act?

KatyK Wed 15-May-19 09:39:56

I'm the opposite of body beautiful. I lost most of my teeth when I was 11. Ten years ago I lost all my hair, it's not going to grow back. It's been horrendous but I've had to try to do something about it, with no help. I try to keep my weight down because that's something I can do something about. My post above did say that health and mental health issues aside, it's possible to lose weight (if you want to). It's not easy.

Lazigirl Wed 15-May-19 09:33:40

I presume the ultra critical posts here are coming from body beautifuls?

Rufus2 Wed 15-May-19 09:27:44

if this conversation was being conducted by men
Hellsgrandad; Well said and welcome to the Gentlemen's Club! Sadly there aren't many of us left, but we wouldn't be anywhere near as judgemental with "live and let live" being our guiding belief! We are what we are and remember, "united we stand, divided we fall!" Keep up your good work! grin

Alexa Wed 15-May-19 09:18:04

Dumpling, I can well imagine the scenario.

These Middle East lads could have been reared to regard women's bodies as too inflammatory to be shown in public. It was reported this morning that one in three teenagers are ashamed of their bodies. Your body whether or not it's a currently fashionable shape is an aspect of your wonderful, honest, and reliable self and everybody should honour their bodies and express their bodies with the freedom of expression they choose even if the fashions they choose are outrageous. Within the law!

Lily65 Wed 15-May-19 09:15:26

I tend to cover up and always have done, even when I was young and gorgeous.

Each to their own, some people are too poor to afford anything but the dreaded leggings and vest look.

allassinsane Wed 15-May-19 09:09:22

I generally think live and let live, though I don't like to see someone deliberately wearing something that's overly provocative, as in skimpy tops showing too much cleavage, bum cheeks peeping out from micro shorts etc. It's just attention seeking but I suppose that's what some people want. I agree it may be the wrong type of attention but young girls don't often realise the reaction they're getting.

I wear kneelength shorts and vests and strappy sundresses in the garden and on holiday. If I go out ie. shopping or pub garden I'll take a top or cardi to cover up a bit. Bit self conscious of arms.

I don't mind tattoos, though I think it's a fad that will fade eventually, just like the tattoos!

NfkDumpling Wed 15-May-19 08:33:25

Very Baloo!

I used to catch a bus home at the same time and stop as a couple of lads recently come from the Middle East somewhere. Their English was basic but they were nice respectful lads. However, in hot weather, the large women who walked past the stop in skimpy shorts and vest tops with no bras made them oogle and, even speaking in a language I couldn't understand, I knew exactly what they were saying. And I have to say, prude that I am, I understood why.

Baloothefitz Wed 15-May-19 03:42:34

Oh my goodness...HOW fattist are Gransnetters?

moggie57 Tue 14-May-19 23:06:07

me ./i'm old fashioned .no push up bras to display over ripe melons.am always covered up decently..today had black trousers /leggings .t shirt and a hoodie...i like being warm...there is a lady near me that likes to wear flourescent pink jumpsuit (no knickers)you can tell.. and top half in open to the elements. she looks ?????.. wait for it she must be late 70's. oh yuk. makes me cringe .but she minces down the high street like she's a blast from the 1970's.!!! certainly turns some heads..

Bijou Tue 14-May-19 21:25:45

In hot weather it is cooler to wear loose clothes rather than tight short shorts.
There were many women in town looking as though they were dressed for the beach and pregnant women with bare baby bumps.

Boosgran Tue 14-May-19 19:44:59

Agree KatyK people are huge these days and its it’s going to be a serious problem in the next few years, putting a strain on the NHS with weight related health problems.

Alexa Tue 14-May-19 19:37:51

"The boys in the class laughed when I asked the girls how they expected the lads to concentrate on English grammar with all those beautiful bosoms just under their noses!"

Quite right , grandetante! It's good to be aware of the psychological effects of fashions. by the tone of some of the comments here visitors to old people's homes should cover up and conceal most of their skins and every detail of how their body fat is distributed.

nanaK54 Tue 14-May-19 17:43:43

So do I farview sad

farview Tue 14-May-19 16:29:32

...I also think that some of the comments on here are truly nasty..

farview Tue 14-May-19 16:22:44

I'm with Pollyanna2...live and let live... regarding how people want to dress or decorate their skin..

grandtanteJE65 Tue 14-May-19 16:22:18

My pet hate is elderly men with their big fat beer guts on display! Some of them wear such short shorts that we can see various bits and pieces that only concern their wives when they sit down too!

I had a long discussion while still teaching with a class of sixteen year old girls who felt they should be able to wear exactly what they wanted anywhere and everywhere and be treated with respect.

They didn't believe me when I said they were asking rather too much of any red-blooded young man if they walked around showing their admirable cleavage, plus the ring in their belly button.

The boys in the class laughed when I asked the girls how they expected the lads to concentrate on English grammar with all those beautiful bosoms just under their noses!

Ellie Anne Tue 14-May-19 16:08:35

I’m a bit tubby so try ro keep covered up.
But if you have an ugly face ther is not much you can do about it

fluff Tue 14-May-19 15:44:36

Rather sad the number of people on here who are so judgemental, I think some of the comments are outrageous! To say that fat people could just diet ... absolute rubbish, some people have medical disorders that make this extremely difficult, as for me I had thyroid cancer when I was 26, it’s incredibly difficult to lose weight as a result and has been a constant battle over the last 33 years, if my size is offensive to you then look away your opinions quite frankly are offensive to me, so if I have to cover up then you have to sew your mouth shut.

Amagran Tue 14-May-19 15:30:33

I am with you pinkquartz. Physical appearance is not the only way of viewing attractiveness/unattractiveness. The things we say and do can be similarly judged by others.

Overthehills Tue 14-May-19 14:30:43

On the other side of the coin - today I saw a slim young woman in a shortish skirt and top with beautifully cut long shiny hair - she made my morning (after I’d been to the dentist!).
I don’t mind how fat anybody is, it’s their business, but I just don’t really want to see their flesh in the flesh!