Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to feel really angry every time I see balloons being released into the sky

(133 Posts)
MamaCaz Fri 14-Jun-19 18:49:06

Just that really. It makes me really angry.

If someone pulled up at the side of the toad and tipped a box-full of uninflated balloons out of their car onto the verge, they could, quite rightly, be prosecuted. Why is releasing them into the sky still allowed when it is just as bad for the environment?

ReadyMeals Sat 15-Jun-19 15:18:00

I just looked it up. They don't use real doves they use homing pigeons that are selectively bred to be white. So most probably make it home, but any homing pigeon can of course meet an accident or predator just like any bird.

lemongrove Sat 15-Jun-19 15:15:53

Since we know the harm that balloons do to wildlife why continue to release them?
As to bereavement for a baby or child.....we planted a rose.

Callistemon Sat 15-Jun-19 15:01:34

ps forget the doves - I didn't know that they would always be eaten by predators; I thought they would return home like homing pigeons.

Callistemon Sat 15-Jun-19 14:58:18

Have you been to the National Memorial Aboretum, paddyann? There is a SANDS garden there, a place of tranquillity and peace.
There is a path lined with pebbles on which people have inscribed their babies's names and perhaps a message.

I'm sorry that my thoughts on painted pebbles was considered patronising by rachifagran^, it is something that does help many people.
I was just trying to suggest an alternative to balloons.
I do think a tree is a wonderful idea and someone suggested throwing seeds to the wind - another lovely idea which enhances the earth rather than pollutes it.

Caro57 Sat 15-Jun-19 14:48:41

Balloons are one way to remember those who have left us but they do cause deaths. Why risk another death when remembering a previous one. Society must be able to find another way to mark a loss. They should be banned

M0nica Sat 15-Jun-19 14:38:08

Anja When I reply to an individual and about their post, I address it to them. If I am replying to points in one person's posts I mention that. Why not? the poster I musn't name made some interesting points and I specifically addressed them and said so.

dumdum Sat 15-Jun-19 14:15:08

And what's all this about loved ones in the sky anyway? Is that where you think heaven is?

paddyann Sat 15-Jun-19 14:12:54

its never been about "catching them"GA2010 ,its about releasing them and your lost baby/child with the balloon moving away from you .SANDS organised balloon releases for many years ,theres also services in chuches for families who are religious .Some dont want a god who let their baby die to be honoured in a church and were happier..if happier is the right word ..to release a balloon and it DOES without any question or doubt give a sense of peace .As I previously said SANDS have cancelled this years release but on some of the bereaved parents pages there are still parents who would want it to continue .Being with other families in the same circumstances is very helpful when grieving a baby loss.Thats why SANDS is run by families who have all suffered the same loss

dumdum Sat 15-Jun-19 14:09:33

How about lighting small candles,..tea lights, and playing some special music, listening to poetry.

Minshy Sat 15-Jun-19 14:09:30

They look beautiful.. but the damage they can do is just not worth that few minutes of wonder..

quizqueen Sat 15-Jun-19 14:02:58

It's about time someone invented balloons which were biodegradable or edible, then there wouldn't be so much of a problem. After reading this thread, I shall encourage the family to use fewer balloons at parties in future and, if ever releasing any, to take off the string first.

GrannyAnnie2010 Sat 15-Jun-19 13:49:23

I sort of understand the balloon being sent skywards for deceased loved one to "catch", but wouldn't you want to do that in private? I really don't get the big bunches being released. So then, if done in private, an alternative could be a handful of seeds blown or tossed skywards for the same soul to "catch". The cathartic effect is the same, surely?

Walking along a canal, once, I came across a dead duck: it had a balloon line wrapped around it, balloon still attached - it was purple, with 'Baby' on it.

M0nica Sat 15-Jun-19 13:48:13

raficha No one has condemned anyone who has let balloons fly in the past. It is those who defend the continuation of the practice after the dangers of it have been explained to them that are being condemned.

Unlike many of the other things you mention, letting balloons into the atmosphere is about stopping a totally random activity that no one will miss if no-one does it. Even more pointless than one use plastic bags, which I gave up using well over 40 years ago, because of their potential for pollution and total uselessness, once they had had their one use. If most people can give up using one-use plastic bags, we can certainly manage with out equally damaging balloons.

knspol Sat 15-Jun-19 13:30:14

I would happily ban Chinese lanterns, just a complete fire hazard.

Callistemon Sat 15-Jun-19 13:16:15

That was to MamaCaz (it took me ages to find the thumbs up and even longer to copy and paste it!)

Maggiemaybe your DD was obviously more enlightened all those years ago.

wildswan16 Sat 15-Jun-19 13:13:05

I would hate it if anybody released balloons into the air for my birthday, or wedding, and they then resulted in dead birds, dolphins or lambs. At my funeral I'd rather they remembered me in a less polluting and harmful way. (and yes, I have told them all not to do it).

Callistemon Sat 15-Jun-19 13:08:59

?

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Jun-19 13:08:56

I can't agree with those posters who think that it's only recently that we've been aware of the damage done by balloon releases.

My DD1 and her friends staged their own mini protest when our local junior football club held a fundraising balloon race. They'd been taught at primary school about the harm balloons could cause to birds and other wildlife. That was 30 years ago.

MamaCaz Sat 15-Jun-19 13:04:55

When I started this thread, I wasn't even aware that people did this as a way of remembering their loved ones, and I certainly didn't set out to upset anyone. I am genuinely sorry for the losses of those who have posted on here. However, I still think it is an issue that needs discussing.

I think I need to make it extra clear that it isn't so much the balloons being in the sky that I have the problem with (some replies seem to suggest that some posters interpret it that way) - it's where they end up.
As others have said,every single balloon has the potential to kill wildlife, and that applies as much to the strings or ribbons attached to them as the balloons themselves. I have come across (though very fortunately was able to free) a small bird that had become tangled in something like that, so have seen how easily it can happen. Animals choking on things like that is not a myth either -ask any farmer!
And that's before they decompose, and add to the pollution of the soil, our rivers and the sea.

I strongly disagree with the claim that there is any 'virtue signalling' going on here, too.
I was brought up, like most of us, I imagine, to not drop litter, and simply can't see how this is any different. Statement of fact, not virtue signalling.

Nor do I think there is any comparison between this and our using vehicles. Being able to get about is essential to our lives, in order to get to work and to buy food. Balloons are not!

Callistemon Sat 15-Jun-19 12:54:40

They are a different type of balloon, GrandeTante
I think that these are the helium type of plastic balloons - one has been hanging around in a tree near me for about 10 months now.

A tree is an excellent idea, if you can't plant one yourself the Woodland Trust will do so in someone's name.

Cressida Sat 15-Jun-19 12:54:28

For the last 3 months the telegraph pole across the road has been 'decorated' by someone's 50th birthday balloons. I really don't understand why people feel the need to release balloons.

After my mother died the family planted tree's in the National Forest. My grandchildren were able to be fully involved and understood they were planting their trees to say goodbye to their great-nanny.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ1gvdzSmiU

mosaicwarts Sat 15-Jun-19 12:37:04

I was at the beach and a black family were on the strandline, with lots of fruit. I asked them what they were doing and they were celebrating the first anniversary of the death of their Dad. I gave my sympathies and didn't hang about as they were upset, but thought it a lovely idea. I also see pebbles on the beach with 'Mum' or 'Dad' sometimes. smile

Lorelei Sat 15-Jun-19 12:31:20

MamaCaz, I'm with you in that I've never really liked balloon releases. I can see why some people like it or get comfort from it, but I am more concerned about the dangers to wildlife and impact on the environment. It is a shame that a brainbox somewhere can't make a biodegradable, environmentally-friendly version of both the balloon and the cord it is often tied to. Or put our heads together to find another way to visually commemorate/remember/celebrate as some people will always want a gathering with something symbolic to their cause/loss/celebration

pinkquartz Sat 15-Jun-19 12:26:54

I watched a program recently on Channel 4 where in Vietnam they put lit tea lights into waxed card containers on the full moon.
This is in remembrance of their dead loved ones.
Many then go out in tiny boats to also be on the river.
It looked a very peaceful and respectful ceremony.
The program was called Great Canal Journeys, or similar, with Pru and Tim West. These two are both in their 80's and Pru has dementia. It is a lovely program

pinkquartz Sat 15-Jun-19 12:18:44

I have had to go through the grief of the death of a young grandchild.
Releasing a balloon would not have helped me or my daughter or the other grandchildren.
(We planted a tree instead).
We must replace the balloons with a safer ritual.
Surely something else could be invented that is not made of plastic or rubber?
I would not want to endanger wildlife lives in this unnecessary way.
More so when balloons are released for weddings and birthdays.
It is time for all to take the planet seriously.