Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hospital assumes, what?

(97 Posts)
tanith Tue 25-Jun-19 17:57:42

Got e-mail today from the hospital informing of an app with a surgery team about my Carpal Tunnel in October not too long to wait.
Good good good, then I read the bottom of the message.

You will need to bring with you to your app:

- Any medication or tablets you take.
- Reading glasses if you wear them.
-A friend or relative who knows you well , as the doctor may need to ask them to help describe the symptoms you have.

Why do they assume anyone my age 70 I need someone to help describe my symptoms?

notanan2 Thu 27-Jun-19 18:25:07

I think the fact that people think out patients appointments are no big deal is exactly why some OPDs need to add that to the letter! You dont know what they have to say to you. These are the kinds of appointments when "incidental findings" can happen.

tanith Thu 27-Jun-19 16:53:12

Cold as I previously said this is not an App for surgery merely an Out Patients App to see the surgery team.

Cold Thu 27-Jun-19 14:26:28

I had carpal tunnel surgery when I was 40 and absolutely needed someone with me. I couldn't use my right hand properly for around 10 days owing to the pain and swelling and needed DH to help me.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 27-Jun-19 14:13:25

I don't think if they had worded the last condition differently that those who need the help of a relative in clarifying matters would have understood what they were getting at.

Far from being offended, when I read something like that, I feel proud and thankful that I don't aged 68 need that kind of help yet.

When asked today after cataract surgery whether anyone was waiting for me, I attributed it solely to the fact that obviously my vision was a bit wonky and that I might feel slightly giddy. I'm sure it was meant as a measure of concern as to how I was to travel 32 km home and not really an "age" thing.

Alypoole Thu 27-Jun-19 13:29:37

Thank you tanith

harrigran Thu 27-Jun-19 08:35:07

DVLA are very slow to react, DH has informed them multiple times about a neighbour who was driving without tax, insurance and MOT. How he managed to avoid ANPR with police patrols we will never know.
An aunt, terminally ill, decided to take herself off for a drive. The GP said he was powerless to intervene so one of her nieces located the car keys and took them home with her, job done.

AlgeswifeVal Thu 27-Jun-19 07:28:14

Just love your answer

Fennel Wed 26-Jun-19 21:35:36

I had a similar letter a few weeks ago.

Daisyboots Wed 26-Jun-19 21:28:29

ninathenana how I agree with you. I cant see why there seems to be the necessity to have people accompanying them when people go for treatment. At my weekly chemo sessions I could have my DH there with me but I am there for 6 hours and it's far simpler if he goes home or does some shopping than sit around there. There are only a few chairs available and so the non patients always seem to be in the nurses way. It seems to be mostly women accompanying their husbands (or sons). The patients are reading or snoozing and their partners are also doing their own thing so what is the point really.

Marydoll Wed 26-Jun-19 20:39:11

It wasn't the care package question that annoyed me, it was the fact that the member of staff spoke to my husband as if I was invisible and asked if he was my carer. Rest assured I was in full possession of my faculties at the time and more than able to speak for myself.

The staff were well aware of all of my conditions , as they had already accessed my record, where all my conditions, names of consultants at various hospitals, clinic visits and treatment were recorded.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 26-Jun-19 20:06:26

Correction.
Appointments! Proves my point ?

sarahellenwhitney Wed 26-Jun-19 20:04:03

I would appreciate any one coming with me to hospital ointments. I believe I have 'my marbles' but it does no harm to have support. Think yourself fortunate to have an option.

notanan2 Wed 26-Jun-19 18:48:16

Oh and if they DID assume and missed care packages they could be cancelled rather than on hold which turns a short admission into a long one!

notanan2 Wed 26-Jun-19 18:46:53

Can you not just answer and move on if its not applicable?

notanan2 Wed 26-Jun-19 18:46:24

The “care package” question would have incensed me too!

Why? It is on every admission and hand over form in some departments. Would you rather they assumed and got it wrong? Not everyone WITH a care package is old or LOOKS like they need care! Hidden disabilities are common!

notanan2 Wed 26-Jun-19 18:40:25

I do not ever remember reading that on any previous letters to be honest but if it's standard then it's understandable I guess

It wont be on every hospital letter. It'll just be on every hospital letter from that team/consultant/secretary , its still standard and not personal hmm

suziewoozie Wed 26-Jun-19 17:51:30

However kitty the GP may assume he isn’t driving but just uses the badge as a passenger. What an awful situation - you’re in a difficult position. I don’t know but if I were you I think I would contact the DVLA again myself and give them another chance to do something. I’d provide his GPs name as well to confirm his medical problems. Glad I’m not facing this dilemma.

MawBroonsback Wed 26-Jun-19 17:43:09

Well they asked me who the Prime Minister was, last Friday, - I bet they wished they hadn’t! gringrin

kittylester Wed 26-Jun-19 17:39:08

The gp knows he still drives as he counter signed his Blue Badge request. He has 2 children who don't think he should be driving but arent prepared to say or do anything.

It's very difficult when we dont live near, he is obstinate and his family, unlike ours, are very hands off with each other.

VIOLETTE Wed 26-Jun-19 17:13:12

Standard letter now as if people are NOT asked, and something goes wrong when they fail to inform the hospital/doctor/nurses/etc if the patient has received and acknowledged this letter and understood it, then it would be difficult to sue for negligence if any of the circumstances spelled out in that letter arose. Sad, but a reflection of today's litigious society ...a mere safeguard for all concerned,

FarNorth Wed 26-Jun-19 17:11:58

kittylester I don't suppose there's anything you can do now he's set off, but I'd recommend having a chat with his doctor.
Doc can't make any comment to you but can listen to what you say and should take action if necessary.
It's quite possible that doctors haven't asked BiL if he still drives, maybe assuming he doesn't.

annep1 Wed 26-Jun-19 17:06:37

I agree Farnorth

FarNorth Wed 26-Jun-19 16:53:16

Marydoll that's appalling!

FarNorth Wed 26-Jun-19 16:51:27

Standard letter?
My DD has had a number of hospital appointments and none of her letters has said she should take anyone to describe her symptoms, only to accompany her after having anaesthetic.

It would be easy to have a sentence suggesting that you may want to bring someone, rather than tell you that you should (because of your advanced age).

How much would someone else know about your Carpal Tunnel anyway?

Granless Wed 26-Jun-19 16:43:44

Don’t be so tetchy - some 70 yr olds do need help .... and .... some don’t and seem to resent being asked if they do. Can’t win comes to mind.