Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit MEP’s behaviour!

(114 Posts)
ayse Tue 02-Jul-19 10:11:56

I’m disgusted with these newly elected MEPs! Turning their backs when the EU anthem is played. This is appalling and they should be suspended indefinitely.
I’m ashamed of a nation that can do this. BTW it was reported in the Independent.

Hilltopgran Wed 03-Jul-19 00:07:09

I am so pleased that others thought turning their back on an anthem was wrong. It makes us all appear so rude and ungracious to our neighbours, these were adults totally unnecessary, there are better ways bring about change. I also agree it was unnecessary for the Lib Dems (who I usually suport) to wear t-shirts with such an explicit slogan on the back. No wonder the Europeans are fed up with us.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 22:58:03

I watched ITV news and thought both Brexit Party and Lib Dem spokespersons seemed rather smug and rather too pleased with themselves in fact.

Devorgilla Tue 02-Jul-19 22:40:21

Personally I felt both protests were rather childish and disrespectful to others, both here and in the EU. I rather gathered from their demeanour on the news tonight that both Farage and the LibDem leader realise they scored an own goal and that their 'protests' were not as well received by the public as they thought they would be.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jul-19 22:13:00

The Brexit party==the racist party. Fact !

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jul-19 20:37:09

One thing for sure this lot has put me off voting for the rest of my life. They can all whistle Dixie.
I wish everyone else would show solidarity on that score and refuse to give them a cushy job at Westminster by not voting.

A protest against incompetent politicians ? Yeah, right !!

Boosgran Tue 02-Jul-19 20:19:57

Yes, nobody seems to be that bothered about the Lib Dem’s but they were far worse in my opinion. The BP were standing quite respectfully in peaceful protests. Sooner we leave the better.

Poppyred Tue 02-Jul-19 20:05:54

This is ridiculous! They turned their backs to an ‘EU’ anthem, get a grip!

Boosgran Tue 02-Jul-19 19:29:30

Yes completely agree with you ayse. I say bollocks to the Lib Dem’s. What a shower.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 19:07:25

I found another one!

ayse Tue 02-Jul-19 19:06:03

When I wrote the first post, I didn’t realise what the Libdems had done. I think their behaviour is just as bad! Do we have any politicians who have any idea how to conduct themselves in public office! I’m fed up with the lot of them. I just feel ??????????

GillT57 Tue 02-Jul-19 19:02:34

have just emailed LibDem party secretary expressing my disgust. I don't suppose Brexit Ltd has an email address. Will find out and pass it on.

Helen2244 Tue 02-Jul-19 19:02:14

Agree - Behaviour nowadays from people who should know better is appalling, it certainly doesn't represent me. Both BP & Liberals are hypocrites. It beggers belief that they feel no shame and will collect their hyped up salaries.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 19:02:03

I'm not sure that the pdf link is up-to-date.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 19:00:13

We have two Brexit Party MEPs out of four!

Thank you Ginny42

GillT57 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:51:18

I have just started emailing my MEPs Callistemon, there are 10 of them in my region. The first one was Tice and he got a brief email asking if he as part of today's disgusting display. I shall send it to all the others as well. They are supposed to be my representatives, LibDem/Brexit/Green whatever, and they shall not act like this in my name. Maybe if we all did it? be interesting if anyone gets a reply. Also, have sent very stiff email to local LibDems asking them to disassociate themselves with the vulgar 'Bollocks to Brexit'. slogan. Remember, they work for us.

Ginny42 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:47:58

Their details are here.

www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/european-elections.html

Bizarrely the two from my area are on the Culture and Education committee. It behoves them to demonstrate their educated status and show some respect for culture. They appear to be louts.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 18:30:43

Has everyone checked exactly who their MEPs are?

Would it be worth an email of protest if you are represented either by Brexit Party MEPs or Lib Dem MEPs - or will they just ignore it?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:26:04

Callistemon, I like to think that all who disrespect their role of MEP would face a financial penalty, even those from other EU countries who did not stand and continued talking amongst themselves during the time the young people played.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 18:21:48

The Lib Dem’s “stunt” is obviously ok with those who voted remain?
No, GrannyGravy, it is not.

Do we have to pay these MEPs or can we withhold their salary?

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 18:18:37

I found it equally appalling that the Lib Dem MEPs wore yellow “t” shirts with “Bo***cks to Brexit” emblazoned on the back in the EU Parliament today
I'm ashamed and embarrassed - we are told that the UK is 'a laughing stock' - I did not think so because any people I have met from overseas have acted just as they normally would - but this shower of MEPs (Brexit Party and Lib Dems) will certainly turn us into one!

They are all a disgrace.

Fennel I agree re the anthem, have always felt that and thought they should have had an entirely new anthem commissioned.

Eloethan Tue 02-Jul-19 18:16:23

They're playing to the crowd. Some of their supporters may admire them for this but, equally, some may not. I think, even with their strong anti-EU feelings, this was extremely rude and provocative.

I also disliked the Bollocks to Brexit slogan.

eazybee Tue 02-Jul-19 17:31:33

Magid Magid, a Green MEP, is also making a fuss, because 'he is different and doesn't intend to fit in'. Apparently he was wearing a T-shirt and a baseball cap and someone thought he wasn't an MEP and asked him to leave.

What a shower. All of them.

Labaik Tue 02-Jul-19 17:29:59

'It's just a sorry state of affairs because the Mp's and Government have made a pigs ear of Brexit full stop'...silk purse and pigs ear scenario methinks....

Fennel Tue 02-Jul-19 17:26:37

The MEPs were disrespectful, but to be honest I've never liked that tune.
It's the last movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony and is typical of the old German state in its militaristic mode.
I don't know why it was chosen.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jul-19 17:11:36

GrannyGravy, the doo doo will hit the fan that's for sure.